All Topics / Help Needed! / INVESTOR CLUB- GOOD, BAD OR UGLY

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

I purchased a town house in Aspley about 4 years back, sold it recently and made an ok profit.

I tried to purchase more thru the Club but no one at the club seemed interested.

I note that the Investor Club has been mentioned in mixed tones…….What experiences have other had.Good Bad or UGly.
    [blink]

hrm

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The investor club educates people and helps them into property. It makes a profit too.

If you are a new investor and need the support of others then I think it is great.

If you are experienced and begrudge them making some money then I think you should go it alone.

There is no good or bad. Is just that we all have different needs.

Cheers

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Hrm,

Try the search function on this one as it seems to come up often. Best of luck.

Cheers

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Originally posted by hmackay:

I tried to purchase more thru the Club but no one at the club seemed interested.

I don’t believe The Investors Club would ever knock you back when wanting to buy a property. Are we talking about the same ‘Club’? Did you call your ‘Support Member’?

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of Bob DobelinaBob Dobelina
    Participant
    @bob-dobelina

I would have to agree with the Mortgage Adviser, if it’s the Investors Club and you are not getting service from them, you need to make a fuss about it! They are supposed to be there to help you go to settlement.

I would also agree with Mortgage Hunter, they are quite good in that they can “hold your hand” all the way to settlement and a good way beyond that – great if you are new to it all. More experienced investors can handle it themselves (and are more likey to be in a position for wheeling and dealing for greater profit).

I have found most IC support members to be friendly, sincere and available – though some are better educated/ experienced than others.

Just one thing though – unless they have changed their approach, the IC advocate -vely geared property, with the cashflow shortfall being compensated by pro-rated non-cash deductions like depreciation savings. If you’re a disciple of Steve’s you probably won’t find this strategy too appealing.

Oh and another thing – the cynical among us may be heard to imply that the IC get a kickback from developers – and that the purchaser (you) pays for that kickback in the price of the property you are buying. I have never seen proof of that myself but if you know your values for the area you are looking at (as you should!) or if you check against valuer-general data you should spot any inflated prices.

Bob

@robbie-b

Hi Bob,

Basically, they are a real estate agent who demand higher commissions than most other real estate agents which results in higher prices being passed on to purchasers. They portray themselves as a ‘Club’ or as working for the purchaser. This is NOT the case. Their main income is derived from selling so they are certainly not working for the buyer. They are working for themselves!

Also, none of their current properties meet their ‘rules’ or ‘teachings’ yet they continue to advise ‘club members’ to buy them. What does that tell you?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Thanks guys for your imput……. appreciated.

Bob,

I had no problems with my initial purchase but they appeared not interested in pushing more my way. Also,I indicated interest in JVs.

Perhaps they assessed I was at my limit or did not have the borrowing capacity.

hrm

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Sorry forgot to mention that the Investor Club guru says “Never Sell”. What are others thought on this.

hrm

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Never Sell?

I agree so far as I would prefer to own more assets if/when possible. However, if you never sell you miss out on being able to afford more assets.

If you have bought negative geared property and never sell then you’d have to wait until you’d payed down enough of the loan that it has become positive before you could service more debt. I prefer to think of buying “never sell” property and “allow growth and sell” property. Take the profits when you can apply those profits to their best.

@robbie-b

‘Never Sell’ is only advocated by The Investors Club so their ‘members’ (customers) do not realise the losses from the crappy and over-priced off-the-plan stuff they are flogging. Anyone can make a capital gain out of a property if they never sell. What is the point though?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

still can’t figure out how they get away with being called a ‘club’ as it really is quite deceptive. There must be a clever structure in place as I know all sorts of government departments have been thru them. The only thing they could ping them for was the ‘no tenant no problem’ guarantee which I think was a breach of the TPA or something like that.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I agree with Robert if you never sell you never really now your property is worth.

To answer Ausprop’s question I assure you that was an item that ASIC investigated (I should now i gave evidence).

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of christobellchristobell
    Participant
    @christobell
    Originally posted by hmackay:

Sorry forgot to mention that the Investor Club guru says “Never Sell”. What are others thought on this.

hrm

Participant
    @christobell

Never Sell is right..I bought a property from them over 4 years ago and its now valued at 30K less than I bought it for..and I cant sell it.

@robbie-b

Think of the bright side chris…

If it keeps dropping in value and the rent stays the same, it may become positive cashflow!!!!!

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Participant
    @christobell

Sad but true TMA sad but true. When I first bought the property they (The Investors Club) told me my property would double in 7 years but I didn’t think it would be back ways.[upsidedown]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

A few comments here. I know of a woman who vbought a property 3 years ago in sydney- camperdown- negatively geared- and is now selling it as she has no tenant- and the highest price she hasbeen offered is 500k- a 100k loss- boom boom! (the basil brush boom boom- not the real estate boom). It’s a myth that ALL property has to double every 7-10 years- it’s just a marketing way to sell books and talk up RE as an investment proposition. Some property will triple in a few years, and some will decline. In decline, some people will say they have been ripped off or two-tier marketed… reality is- RE is just another market. Compare a ken done with a Norman Lindsay…

The Investors Club seems likes it;s been around a while, and started off as investors who hung out with other investors and sold properties- not sure what the harm is in that really. Buy and sell? well, i guess we all do that. They just got together and recruited others. My feeling is, it isn’t the most shonky thing I have heard of.

Never sell? well, that used to be the vogue notion. The whole beginning notion of negative gearing was buy and don’t sell. Now, there are just newer ideas on the market. Remember reading those stories of people years ago who would say “I wish I had never sold… I bought a property for 2 and 6, which is now worth a squillion blah blah.”

Some people will make money in RE, and some will lose it. I just see the IC as a buyer’s agent or spotter type thing- flogging off their own properties. Remember, the IC was around before RE.com.au was in vogue… now most of us find our own properties. But i think the IC was for more localised buyers in Qld who wanted support and more localised prices than two-tiered marketing which was rampant at the time.

As for me, I am not a “clubby” type and I find my own ways of doing things, but on here, people are always talking asbout joint ventures and building alliances to make money- not sure there’s much difference between what many people have been doing and the IC.

kay henry

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I would be happier if they renamed themselves “IC Real Estate” or “IC Property Marketing” as at least people would know what they are dealing with. I often speak to people that think that the IC is a non profit organisation! (in fact I have even had a Support Memebr tell me that and I think they believed it)

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

These stories coroborate my thoughts.
    Alarm bells go off for me regarding any type of herd mentality with regard to R/E.
    I checked out the IC a while ago and spoke to someone from there and was surprised (not really) that they had very conflicting beliefs to mine with regard to buying and selling houses.

@robbie-b

It is hard to work with someone who is also trying to make as much money from the transaction as you are.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.