All Topics / Value Adding / Town House costs (branched from 4 townhouse topic)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    Just to branch this out to another thread.

I, like others no doubt, have no experience with building town houses. Getting pricing on town house developments is difficult because they aren’t often done (compared to stand alone houses).

So:
    1. Many times I’ve read that town houses cost double what a house costs to build.
    Why?
    My house is being built from scratch and from empty land to complete house ready for comfy habitation (everything done + reasonable quality fittings) for $855/sq metre. It is a big house, 214 sq metres, 4 bedroom, study, lounge, walk in robes, double lug, insulation, ducted heating and so forth.
    I would have thought:
    2 120 sq metre 3 bed townhouses sharing a wall would be similar in cost (time and material) to a single 240 sq metre 6 bed house. I would say about $200 – $220k to build both residences, not each. The reason I think this is they are sharing a slab and essentially sharing a roof so why different from building one house and cutting it in half?

2. Assuming townhouses cost approximately twice a detached dwelling, are we being ripped off? Would it be cheaper to build one house and then “extend” it into another house sharing a wall? I know I can get a basic 3 bed house built for $130k ready to move in (excluding land), why not build 2 just really really close to each other (sharing one wall)?

3. Without other information explaining the difference between detached and attached dwellings I can honestly say I’m skeptical that townhouses are so expensive.

Any other thoughts (or facts)?

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

I’ve already answered the other thread but further to your questions:

1. Two 3 bedroom town houses don’t equal a 6 bedroom house.

Each townhouse requires for itself, seperated from the other: a kitchen, an eating area, a living area, a lug plus a 2nd car space, an outdoor area (usually has a balcony and a patio in addition to a courtyard or garden area), three bedrooms, and usually has both an onsuite and a bathroom.

This is much more than one house.

Townhouses are compactly designed. They take up less space, but are generally more efficient with the space they do use. This costs more in design and materials (see other post for some examples).

More added expenses: There is a need for double brick, insulation and fire protection between townhouses (where normal houses often just have timber framed and plasterboard dividing walls). A DLUG is cheaper than two seperate LUGs. Each townhouse needs it’s own connections to water, gas, electricity etc. Each townhouse needs driveway access (rather than one for a house)… the list goes on.

Townhouses only cost more per square metre. As townhouses are generally half the size of a stand alone house this does not make them double the cost. Three townhouses would be cheaper to build than three standard houses (which each take up more square metres).

2. You are unlikely to be able to do this, as there are council regulations regarding how close one dwelling can be next to another, etc.

You seem to overlook the fact that townhouses are of a completely different design to a regular house. Most houses (probably including your 4 bedroom) are not very efficient with their usage of space. You would need twice the land to place two such stand alone residences on a property than if you put two townhouses.

Equally, two stand alone houses would have their windows onlooking each other with no privacy for residents – not a pleasant outlook. Townhouses are designed so that while you live side by side, you never see your neighbours except as you arrive at the front door.

3. If these are your thoughts, then don’t build townhouses. The basic principle of a townhouse is that it is a medium density dwelling rather than a low density dwelling like your four bedroom house.

The 214 sqm that your house takes up could fit two 3 bedroom townhouses, each bringing in a rental return equal to (or nearly) a normal 3 bedroom house. The two houses together are worth more than one 4 bedroom place – so you can expect that it will cost more per square metre to build.

The design is more expensive on a per metre basis, but it also gives you more bang per metre – and you don’t use as many metres.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Excellent reply. Thanks.

That’s the sort of stuff I need.

I can understand additional cost now. I think from the above the majority of apparent extra cost is from the doubling up of expensive areas.

Kitchens and bathrooms would be far more expensive than say additional bedrooms or living rooms. All the extra plumbing, wiring and waterproofing.

But, I could imagine only a max 50% premium on a single dwelling price to make two townhouses. A 3 bed house has all the kitchen, bathroom etc. so I still think then the price would be closer to 2 x 3 bed houses + some margin to “stick” them together (eg planning, permit, additional insulation and fire proofing) = 2 x $130k (for the sake of argument) + $65k (for the extra planning and crud) = $325k or $162,500 / town house.

Is there a premium added because you’re expected to make better return (ie you can pay so they ask for it)? Which is kind of what is implied.

BTW: I wasn’t literally asking to build two houses really close to each other, just illustrating a point.

Oh and what if you were to build a single townhouse on a block of land? Then build a seond attached to it?

It still sounds like someone is squeezing extra profit at the owner’s expense…

Profile photo of awfishawfish
    Participant
    @awfish

Hi there,

As a “master” builder, as opposed to a project builder, I come across this sort of situation quite regularly. It’s hard to escape the marketing of the project builders and their price tags, yet custom builders avoid advertising as much as they can. For the good ones, we just have no need for it, as there is usually not a shortage of clients.

Firstly, although you may be building your house through one of the project mobs for $855/m2, if you were to bring the plans to me there’s just NO WAY that I could even pay for the materials and labour at that price. You get what you pay for with a project home – they operate on a very different pricing structure to a builder:

i) They have huge buying power
    ii) They employ labour at the lowest rates, with little regard for quality. We tend to pay more for a tradesperson that we know will be a craftsman.
    iii) Their profit margin system is setup differently; they rely on high turnover/low margin, we rely on lower turnover/higher margin.
    iv) Their construction is just rubbish. People have no problems seeing the difference in quality between a Mercedes and a Daewoo, but it’s harder for them to see the difference between a master-built and project-built home.

Generally, you won’t get a project builder who can build townhouses, so you’ll have to employ a custom builder.

Secondly, most things in the industry are charged per item, per square meter, or per lineal meter. Hourly labour rates aren’t as relevant. So a 200m2 slab will cost twice as much as a 100m2 slab, even though it may take comparatively less time to pour. That’s just how it is.

Townhouses can be an excellent investment, and in the right area, with the right design can bring some serious dollars. A while back we built 3 3br townhouses in Terrigal for just under $1m. They were an amazing design, with some spectacular views. The block they were built on was bought for around $900k. They sold (quickly) for just under $800k each. Now if you’d gone and plonked your $130k house on that block, I really doubt you’d have found someone to pay even $1 million for it, just because it was a house.

Townhouse building is not for everyone, nor are project homes.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi awfish,
    Thanks for that reply. I’m very much swayed by it.

You are absolutely correct about the project built houses. They are built “well enough” and designed to be “appealing enough” for basic consumption. I’ve certainly had a look through several project houses and not once was I moved to thinking they would be suitable for me to live in and own. They were perfectly suited to renting out and putting on generic blocks of land.

What I’m seeing from this discussion is that:
    1. Project houses are inexpensive due to their mass-production quality and profit through volume production.
    2. Town houses, due to thier compact nature, require more design work than what a project builder will do. This means extra must be paid for design, approval and labour. Though I take it with less materials costs.
    3. Town houses, to be profitable as a development, need land that will produce profit from subdivision. In general large blocks of expensive land where lots of people want to live but no individual is willing to pay for the large block to live on.

So, a large block in a regional / rural town is much less likely to be profitable with town houses while scarce large blocks in metro / coastal areas are more likely.

Of course, these are generalisations but they give me a good indication of what to look out for.

Profile photo of rmittlal1rmittlal1
    @rmittlal1

Hi!
    Project mobs build only standard houses, which are replicated many times, so are cheaper. Townhouses are normally custom designed, with specific planning approvals, not just building permits. So, project mobs don’t touch them. Is this the reason town houses are expensive?

If you look at Metricon’s prices, even double storey houses of standard design cost about 40% more than single storey houses.

Someone please advise.

Regards,

Rakesh

Participant
    @awfish

G’Day Rakesh,

There’s a couple of reasons that single story homes are cheaper to build than multiple storey:

i) Less engineering involved. You can pretty much just slap up your frames and trusses over a concrete slab with single storeys – the engineer’s don’t have to think much at all [biggrin]
    ii) No scaffolding needed. Scaffolding costs a packet, and is essential to comply with safety regs. On a single storey house you can get away with a roof rail when the roof goes on.
    iii) Easier access. Building materials are often heavy and awkward. They’re easy enough to handle on ground level, but once you’ve gotta get them up a storey or 2, they become a PITA. It adds a lot of extra time = extra $$$
    iv) Just generally more time consuming. In building a house, the quicker I can get it done, the cheaper I can do it for. I’ve built 3 single-level villas in roughly 17 weeks, but 3 double-storey townhouses would set me back more like 25-30 weeks. (These are absolute best-case scenarios)

A couple of people have sent me messages, and I’m happy to get them. If you’ve got a building question, I don’t mind seeing if I can answer it for you. However I’ve got to disclaim anything I say on this forum as constituting my opinion only – Please don’t presume it to be professional advice.

Originally posted by rmittlal1:

Hi!
    Project mobs build only standard houses, which are replicated many times, so are cheaper. Townhouses are normally custom designed, with specific planning approvals, not just building permits. So, project mobs don’t touch them. Is this the reason town houses are expensive?

If you look at Metricon’s prices, even double storey houses of standard design cost about 40% more than single storey houses.

Someone please advise.

Regards,

Rakesh

Participant
    @awfish

1. Bingo
    2. Kind of… But it also comes down to the fact that on a townhouse (or any architecturally-designed building) we’re constructing from scratch, and each day has new unknowns. Materials actually cost more, because there isn’t the buying power, nor the economies of scale of making, say 20 sets of identical frames and trusses.
    3. Again, kind of. But go an look at Wagga Wagga to see that there are plenty of these sorts of developments (presumably profitably) going on in regional areas.

Originally posted by surreyhughes19905:

Hi awfish,
    Thanks for that reply. I’m very much swayed by it.

You are absolutely correct about the project built houses. They are built “well enough” and designed to be “appealing enough” for basic consumption. I’ve certainly had a look through several project houses and not once was I moved to thinking they would be suitable for me to live in and own. They were perfectly suited to renting out and putting on generic blocks of land.

What I’m seeing from this discussion is that:
    1. Project houses are inexpensive due to their mass-production quality and profit through volume production.
    2. Town houses, due to thier compact nature, require more design work than what a project builder will do. This means extra must be paid for design, approval and labour. Though I take it with less materials costs.
    3. Town houses, to be profitable as a development, need land that will produce profit from subdivision. In general large blocks of expensive land where lots of people want to live but no individual is willing to pay for the large block to live on.

So, a large block in a regional / rural town is much less likely to be profitable with town houses while scarce large blocks in metro / coastal areas are more likely.

Of course, these are generalisations but they give me a good indication of what to look out for.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I favour the project builder then spend some money tarting them up to look different …

eg;

Stencil driveways
    Palm trees
    Electric security gates
    Window boxes

resi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.