All Topics / Value Adding / Dwellings per sq metre?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi All,

I know the best way to get a DA approved is to follow the Council guidelines to the letter. I also know that all Local Councils are individual in implementing policies. I’m planning to phone our Council’s Town Planner on Monday but I’m sitting here on the weekend thinking…

We have a block that is 1119sq meters and it is zoned for 1 dwelling per 250sq metres if developed for flats/units. At the moment there is a very small existing duplex (2 x 1B/R) which counts for 2 dwellings.

Our thoughts to date were that relocating an old house onto the block would be a good way to increase cashflow. On Friday afternoon I became aware of several ex army transportable blocks of flats being given away for free. One of these blocks of flats would fit nicely on the block and all (incl existing duplex) would have carports and small yards.

Problem is that these blocks of flats have 2 x 2B/R units and 1 x 1B/R unit. If we go ahead that would made a grand total of 5 dwellings and we would be 131sq metres short of complying with the Council zoning.

Any thoughts or experiences on how flexible Council may or may not be in this regard?

Many Thanks
    Sonja

Profile photo of nordicskiernordicskier
    @nordicskier

The Council planning regulations need to be followed unless there is something unique about the land, not the development. The regulations would have been voted on and approved by Council. The Council represents the local constituents/ratepayers/community. Thus, in simplex form, the planning regulations represent the issues and concerns of the local community in the extent of minimising potential impact upon the environment (including the affect upon residential amenity).
    However…sometimes there imay be a way. In the short term, the Council must show consistency in decision making, so a similiar type circumstance is need as an example. Having a meeting with the local Council planner can allude you as to whether your on the right track. If you are given some positive feedback in being able to depart from the planning regs then seek the services of a Planning Consultant who can prepare an appropriately argued case for the departure in Council/Planner speak.

Improve your nordic skiing – become an accredited instructor with http://www.apsi.net.au/nordic

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Sonja,

Can you turn a 2bdrm into a 3 bedroom incorpaorating the 1 bedroom. Resulting a 3bd and a 2bd in the army flats. Cheers Len

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Thanks for the input,

After talking to council I found out a couple of things. One is that it is possible to bend the rules in the right circumstances. Another is that if it creates rather than removes “affordable housing” then it will be looked upon favourably by council.

On the other hand the building to be relocated must be BCA compliant and have all asbestos removed and/or sealed under vinyl cladding before being moved into our council area (our council doesn’t want the asbestos containing material brought into the area even if we plan to remove it) – this is a major headache as removing and replacing asbestos fibro then transporting it is less than ideal. Even less desirable is vinyl cladding prior to transport.

Our helpful town planner also sugggested converting one of the buildings so that there are a total of four dwellings in order to increase the chances of approval and speed up the DA.

On the whole it was a great idea but as the person giving the flats away wants them gone “yesterday” (so he can begin his own development) we won’t have time to follow it up given the problems with asbestos and meeting BCA standards.

Thanks again for the replies.

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I don’t know your project but it sounds like hard work to me.

Why not clean the canvas and start from scratch, i would employ (as i do) a reg. certifier to deal direct with the council.

I have found that spending a little money and employing an expert you will save in the long run, also i don’t trust the councils town planners because they have cost me big time in the past for lots of reasons.

Any way u do what u want but i recomend u focus on the end product and ask this question … is it what people want.

resiwealth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.