All Topics / General Property / Inspection Rort

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Inspection Rort

13-05-05 Vacating Inspection T**Real Estate Property fees #10 (inc $4.50 GST) $49.50

13-05-05 Property Condition Report T**RE Property fees #10 (inc $6.00 GST) $66.00

The above is from our PM and is normal practice in WA.

I’ve asked for copies of both reports as though I received the statement I received no copies?

Supposedly the usually only send one report, I’ve asked for both so it will be interesting to see the difference in the reports, both conducted on the same day at the same time..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

If you are not satisfied you can use the trade practices act as a bit of a club.

I was sent an invoice for $200 for “major removal fee” as per body corporate rules for the place I moved in to. I looked up the rules and sure enough it said that if you move in or move out of a flat you have to book and pay $200 for administration and supervision.

I wrote a nice letter stating:
    I will not be paying invoice #XXX for the amount of $200 based on:
    1. I was able to find cheaper alternative suitable service elsewhere.
    2. I ordered no such service.
    3. I received no such service.
    4. In light of what is offered I feel the price is far beyond reasonable and that according to the trade practices act it falls under “unconscionable conduct” based on the disparity in negotiating power between the body corporate and myself.
    5. The invoice is not addressed to myself, nor does it indicate relevant GST information.

Well a couple weeks later I got a letter back saying the matter had been disposed of with the owner of the unit I moved into. In otherwords they decided it wasn’t worth pursuing.

$66 for a condition report is ludicrous given the effort, skill and length of time required to perform it. Surely you can find someone to do it for less. Heck I’d start a company that just does condition reports, charge $40 / report and everyone can cancel that part of the magement contract and sign it over to me.

I recon a condition report would take no more than 30 minute + 20min travel time = $40 for 50 min work. Line up 10 properties near one another and you’re making $400 / day to wander about and tick off items on a check list.

Rort I say.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

$66 is Cheap here..ask some of the others on the Forum.

Just negioted another the other day on an IP and bargained them down by pointing out cheaper fees by other companies and not accepting some stuff, such as the regular 3 monthly inspections (4 per year-more if tenant leaves as you then get the B**dy vacating inspection, property Condition Report fiasco again).

Some now want $2.20 per photo for photo’s taken when doing the PCR, i mentioned the age of digital camera’s..

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Surrey,

Lovely stuff mate, well done.

Redwing,

You mean they charge you an additional fee for the quarterly report… on top of the management fees?

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Sure do wayne, think i posted the PM fees in WA on the forum once before when a PM wanted to move from 8.25% to 9.35% M Fee..

I told them i was happy with the current deal and needed 21 days notice from them if they wished to change (think that was Marisa’s idea and it worked well)..no change in M Fee[biggrin]

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Can anyone tell me if it is common in NSW for REA’s to charge for Inspection Reports/Vacating Reports?

My NSW PM is happy with 6.5% commission, and has never charged a fee for these reports.[biggrin]
    I’m guessing it varies state to state.

Would be interested to find out if there is a governing body in NSW that regulates these types of fees, or is it left up to the individual REA?
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Yes, REdwing is right when he says $66 is usual over here for a property condiditon report. Let us know how you go Redwing.

I’m currenlty disputing an electricity bill with my PM, for starters I’d like to know why I’ve been charged for one. The tnenant left and the property was vacant for 10 weeks and then on my statement there’s an electricity invoice for $110. Firstly I’ve asked why was an accoutn opened in my name I didn’t give any authorisation. Seconldy, how was $110 of power used in an empty unit! Still waiting for a reply…

PK

Profile photo of ssabssab
    @ssab

2.20 per photo! Are they hiring professional photographers or something.

Thats a disgrace! Considering the embarrasing amateur job most do of property photos (i’m talking EA’s here), thats shocking they even have the hide to ask for anything.

I have always been amazed by why vendors who are attempting to sell and market the most expensive asset they have, advertise it with photos that do the property no justice whatsoever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.