All Topics / Help Needed! / Melbourne suburbs with bad reputation

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

I have lived in Melbourne for nearly 2 years now. I grew up in Perth, and then moved to Sydney for a year then here to Melbourne.

I love Melbourne, so for anyone to badmouth it you will upset me :)

First thing I learnt about Melbourne was Frankston. Bad area. -or is it? Cominf from Perth, I knew of many worse areas and as for Sydney, you can pay 4 times the price and still feel as unsafe as you might think Frankston is.

Having looked through the area many times, at properties and what is going on in the area (Frankston North inparticular) I think its a great place to buy.

Seaford is also a great spot, supposedly has a bad name, but when you drive through the area, talk to the locals and actually see what is happening in the area (developments, renovations etc) then you start to wonder why people say things are bad. Whilst they may have been 5, 10 or 20 years ago they arent now.

Eastlink, is going to make everything from Chelsea to Mornington double in value in the next 5 years. This road project is the biggest in Australia at the moment and is going to do great things for the area. Having seen the effects of similar projects in WA, coastal properties in Melbourne are about to become quite scarce whereas once they were just a bunch of old run down, undesirable beach shacks.

Take a look. Whilst I say all of this, I admit I own property in Bonbeach, and have just bought one in Seaford but at least im putting my money where my mouth is.

Go to WA with 235k (Price of the Seaford Property) and see what you can get over there the same distance from the city (35km) and same distance from the beach (300m). Any Perth coastal agent would laugh at you and ask you if that was just your deposit.

As for bad areas, things arent always what they seem. Areas change, some peoples opions of areas can take time but that doesnt stop the growth. [kid] [kid] [kid]

Profile photo of Opportunity In EverythingOpportunity In Everything
    @opportunity-in-everything

Well that’s got Melbourne covered off, might check back on my original (earlier) post.

Profile photo of argie78argie78
    Participant
    @argie78

I second this.

Dandenong, Doveton, Keysbrough, Sunshine, Noble Park.

Cheers!

Learn How To Setup Multiple Streams Of Income With This FREE E-Book. It Looks At Property, Share Renting & Business Strategies.

Profile photo of Chief WigamChief Wigam
    Participant
    @chief-wigam

Does anyone know any developments planned for Springvale? I looked up the Dandenong council web site, but nothing mentioned about Springvale there.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

We find comfort among those who agree with us – growth among those who don’t. Frank A. Clark.

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi,

There are a few suburbs with bad reps in Melbourne, many have been turned around and many are planned for improved government funding. If you have a search around, you’ll see that there are many “Western Suburbs” which have been earmarked as transit cities, these areas are getting government cash injections in improve these cities, public transport, infrastructure, etc etc, all very good for improving a cities standpoint.

If you look historically, there is are many Vic/Melb cities that have been turned around:
    1. Collingwood
    2. Docklands
    3. Carlton
    etc etc

I’d start by having a look at those transit cities. We’ve been doing that, as someone has already mentioned, Footscray would not be a bad place to get into. But it really depends what you’re after. There is a 30 year plan on many of these cities.

Some other places that may be worth looking at are:

1. Frankston – Bad stigma about it, but with the new freeway/tollway being developed down there due for completion in 2009 (???) it’d be worth a look. A bayside city with newly developed access to the city, sounds like a winning combination.

2. Ringwood – Will benefit from the freeway development to Frankston and commute times to the city will be cut, also plans to redevelop much of the city to attract new business.

3. Tullamarine – Many young couples who are working in the city, or newly developed business parks in the area are ellecting to live closer to save money on fuel expenses. Great vacancy rates at the moment, development friendly councils and not bad entry level costs.

Probably many more, your best bet is to jump on the state government and local council webpages and do your research/due dillegence. There are plenty of opportunties out there, just do your research and the opportunties will open up.

D.

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hiya,
    I think this was a good post. Its been a while since anyone has updated this post.
    I am looking at properties in Frankston and dandenong areas.
    Regards
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of charrischarris
    Participant
    @charris

I agree with many areas others have listed – mornington and outer east due to freeway extension. Inner west is also good (eastern snobs often forget, but it’s a great place to live – especially if you enjoy getting out of Melbourne as I do[shades2]) don’t forget Spotswood (so close to the city and still open spaces) and even Braybrook – surely that has to be a neighbouring suburb close to suburbs that have already boomed.

Have my own house that I live in, but sick of the daily grind of office work and love renovating my house so looking at making property investing a career move, obviously I have some way to go, but starting to read, look around and think….Interested in any tips for those starting out.

Profile photo of VPVP
    @vp

This link may be useful
    It lists the top 40 melbounre suburbs with number of burglary

http://racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/insurance/home+security/burglary+statistics/high+risk+areas/

cheers
    vidy

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

suburbs with bad reputations?

Toorak….too many self important women trying to do u turns in the main street in 7 series BMWs and Range Rovers

Brighton …. more wankers and posers per square metre than anywhere else in Australia

Thomastown …..  too close to Sydney

Burwood….same name as Sydney suburb therefore a loser

Collingwood …appalling football team and even more appalling supporters

Chadstone…… no longer a suburb, now overwhelmed by a shopping centre you can see from space (you can also see space from the shopping centre)

Profile photo of ItalianDragonItalianDragon
    @italiandragon
    vidy wrote:
    This link may be useful

http://racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/insurance/home+security/burglary+statistics/high+risk+areas/

cheers
    vidy

Wow that`s a lot of burgled houses!!

Hello all, I`m from Adelaide and am thinking to move to Victoria.

I was browsing Google looking exactly for "worst suburbs in melbourne" and I found this Forum! Very nice and useful.

I`m not looking to invest but to live if I am ever able to pay the mortgage, so I`d like to know the worst places TO AVOID THEM.

Are the worst suburbs spread all over or there is actually a clear area to avoid? Like North, West, East……keep in mind that I don`t know nothing about Victoria yet.

Thanks a lot !!

Profile photo of lopethalopetha
    Participant
    @lopetha
    vidy wrote:
    This link may be useful

cheers
    vidy

Just because they have high burglary rates doesnt mean those suburbs are a bad investment. Some of those suburbs which top the list such as Parkville, Carlton, North/East/West Melb, Malvern East, Port Melbourne, Kew etc are all inner city suburbs with excellent long term growth figures. I know I definately wouldnt be complaining if I owned a property in most of those suburbs.

Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b

Cashpool

I think its intresting why you look for these areas. I lived in Footscray in the hight of the "H" boom. There was a form of cash converters on every corner. Basiclly it had a bad reputation. But to my supprise I had no problems at all when I lived there. My point is crime, hooning, drugs etc happen in all suburbs in all states. Im now looking at a suburb in the west and when I mention it to my friends they tell me Im mad, because of it reputation. Most places reputation is based on bull shit from what they have heared or read. Cheaper land/ house prices tend to attract lower income people ( working class). To buy into these areas has pros & cons. However I feel that as land gets short and prices go up (if they do) these suburbs will be more attractive. But if it become a strong buyers market then why would I buy in a poor suburb. I worked in Social work in Melb. west suburb 8 years ago. I wish I had of purchased 2 or 3 places now. Anyway a few thing to think about.

Cheap to buy into.

When you go to sell the bad rep. may still be there, making it hard to sell.

Lower rent returns, higher defalts.

If one day you want to or have to live there, will like it.

More mogagee, repos. Detract from the value of your property.

Cherrs

Tony………

Profile photo of buckeroonibuckerooni
    Participant
    @buckerooni

I think burgulary stats are not a good measure of the socio-economic 'health' an area , rich people in nice homes have better stuff to steal! I would be more concerned about violence-related, juvenile crime etc which point to bigger problems within the community.

Profile photo of adilsondiasadilsondias
    Participant
    @adilsondias

Hi guys,
    I'm new here I just moved to Australia on 19 January this year, so everything is new to me.
    I'm looking to buy a house and I was thinking about three suburbs, Deer Park, Point Cook and Epping. I've preference for a suburb which has primary school as my son has to go to school. The price of the house should be around 350k to 400k. I've preference for a new one to save stamp duty. Another option should be inner city, without land, only house and paying the stamp duty.

Any comments about those suburbs?

Cheers,
    Adilson

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.