All Topics / Help Needed! / Melbourne suburbs with bad reputation

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of cashpoorcashpoor
    Participant
    @cashpoor

Hi to all,
    I am looking for a list of the Melbourne suburbs with a bad reputation or used to.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Cashpoor

Profile photo of cashpoorcashpoor
    Participant
    @cashpoor

Hi to all,
    Are there no bad reputation suburbs in Melbourne?

Regards
    Cashpoor

Profile photo of pfsfinancepfsfinance
    @pfsfinance

Lived in Melbourne for many years, moved from there 2 years ago.

These are some suburbs I know had a bad reputation don’t know what its like these days.

Broadmeadows

Westal

Dandenong

Doveton

Parts of Cranbourne

Parts of Endeavour Hills

Springvale

Noble Park

State Manager
    0425 358 293

Wholesale Mortgage Lender that deals only with brokers.

20 years in Finance Industry

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I thought all of Melbourne had a bad reputation. Bloody Mexicans!!! :)))

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

@pfsfinance

The only good thing about Melbourne is the footy.

State Manager
    0425 358 293

@robbie-b

The best view of Melbourne is the one in the rear view mirror when you are driving out of there!!!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

@pfsfinance

I’d have to agree with you there, but as I have family there and a few i/p’s I still have to go there twice a year.

State Manager
    0425 358 293

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Cashpoor,

Try Footscray. It is in a good location, close to the city and borders trendy suburbs in Yarraville and Kensington. Prices are still relatively cheap due to its reputation as a centre for heroin peddling and high crime rate. However, heroin peddling and crime has not stopped St. Kilda and Collingwood from becoming expensive suburbs. Prices are already not really cheap, but much cheaper still than surrounding areas. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Accredited Mortgage Consultant
    F.R. Perry & Associates
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Profile photo of cashpoorcashpoor
    Participant
    @cashpoor

Hi to all,
    Thank you to notabrokeranymore & mortgageman for your replys.

Regards
    Cashpoor

@robbie-b
    Profile photo of pg2005pg2005
    @pg2005

Melbourne – Won world’s most livable city twice
    Sydney – Just like a cubic zyrconia…looks good at first, but when you look a little closer :)

Profile photo of ProgrammerProgrammer
    @programmer

My first post on this site and I’m about to nark a whole lotta folk – but do we not all get a little sick of, and feel just a bit pathetic with this Melb-Syd (or is that Syd-Mel) idiotic argument? I’ve lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra. Here’s my view:

Sydney, worlds best harbour – gorgeous (and I’ve seen many of the worlds best) If you are rich in Sydney it’s ‘nice’. If you’re Jo(anne) average it can be a damn awful place to live.

Melbourne, world’s worst ‘bay’. Pathetic. I’m sure the marine life loves it, I don’t. I detest it’s winter. Not ‘cold’ like Canberra, just cloudy. Great summers. As good as Sydney. Often better. I now live in Melbourne and dislike some things, love others.

Canberra, freezing in Winter, but absolutely wonderful sunny winter days. Beautiful Autumn. Can be kinda ‘inward’ looking and still (although better these days) a little small for me. I was born and grew up there. It’s changed much, but not enough for me.

Sydney is NOT the bees knees, neither is anywhere. The most ‘romantic’ cities in the world still have poverty, heroin (Canberra had stuff that killed many junkies over a short period), are dirty, have bad suburbs, crime etc etc.

The whole argument is just so stupid.[chill]

I read the instructions, it’s still upside down…

Profile photo of gameonegameone
    @gameone

I don’t get it. Why do you want to know the bad suburbs? Isn’t it the bad suburbs that are about to emerge where you can make the most? Fitzroy, collingwood, Williamstown, Port Melb, Brunswick, Richmond …. all “used to be bad suburbs”.
    Anyway places are not bad, just the tenants. I’ve seen “great suburbs” have houses trashed by bad tenants.

Take a huge bite and chew like mad.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

I’d have to agree with gameone. If the tennants are paying the rent you want and you value your tennants, then to a certain degree the question is almost as difficult to answer as ‘where are places with a good reputation?’ As Mortgageman has said, the places that would be great to own are places that have high drug problems (and very high prostitution such as St Kilda for example, yet it is the place ‘to be’ regarding lifestyle, property values, etc). As for long term capital growth, with the Vic government’s ‘2030’ plan places as far away as Cranbourne could be great if you are going to buy and hold long term?
    Remember, YOU DON’T WANT TO LIVE THERE (I’m assuming this), you want to invest there?
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of Chief WigamChief Wigam
    Participant
    @chief-wigam

it has been a year since this thread was last replied to , so I wonder whether any of these ‘bad’ suburbs have improved over the year? Has anyone explored these areas?

Have there been any upgrades in areas like Springvale? The reason I ask is that I have family who are moving there from Sydney. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

We find comfort among those who agree with us – growth among those who don’t. Frank A. Clark.

Profile photo of Chief WigamChief Wigam
    Participant
    @chief-wigam

The suburbs mentioned earlier in the thread as ‘bad’, were:

Broadmeadows

Westal

Dandenong

Doveton

Parts of Cranbourne

Parts of Endeavour Hills

Springvale

Noble Park

We find comfort among those who agree with us – growth among those who don’t. Frank A. Clark.

Profile photo of Freed@lastFreed@last
    @freed-last

Hi cashpoor

Listen to all those northern non-believers… I absolutely LOVE Melbourne… and it is a great place to invest (particularly as the Northern States are predicting somewhat lax growth in the coming period!)

I know the Mornington Peninsula very well and can identify a number of opportunities.

The State Govt are spending $800M on a freeway from the north eastern suburbs to the Peninsula. This will end at Carrum Downs/Seaford. For the first time ever, travel time will be reduced to less than half, therefore, with hundreds of acrers of Industrial zones paddocks waiting to be developed, business will be choosing to base themselves there, which means jobs, which means families, which means retiring parents nearer to the coast, which means booming local economies and real estate demand. It is due to open in 2008. Well purchased and positioned property (I believe) will be a good investment in the next 3-5 years,

Secondly, Safety Beach, once a sleepy little coastal district, has commenced a $600M marina. Prices in the marina are already $1.1M plus, when 2 years ago adjacent properties could be bought in the $200K s. Stage 3 of the marina will see a wonderful new commercial precinct, with cafes, shops, restaurants, boating etc and a luxury hotel. There is a steep hill overlooking the marina, with lots of run down properties (now in the $600K plus range, but with views of the marina and wonderful views of the bay. My guess is within 3-5 years, they will all be $1M plus properties. Not exaxtly CF+, but great market for CG. Homes on the lower areas will naturally continue to be swept up in an overall growth of the Safety Beach Market, and are more affordable. They are also able to be developed (STCA) into townhouses.

Basically, the Peninsula has these two factors and a growing demand for quality coastal (often prestigeous) housing for Melbournes 55+ citizens who are cashed up and wanting to retire by the water, wineries and golf courses.

(should have been a RE salesman!…. I`m not though!)

Happy hunting

Rob

Profile photo of peter-reebokpeter-reebok
    @peter-reebok

There is also a belt of suburbs around Ferntree Gully, Boronia, Bayswater and Croydon that are re inventing themselves.
    Ferntree Gully has 2 railway stations, and an abundance of shopping centres, and land there is being remarketed with dual occupancy sites, and townhouses where people once said no one would build. They are all rather more upmarket than the older stock. The new freeway allows (will?) a 20 minute journey to most of the manufacturing and industrial suburbs.
    Bayswater has just spent a lot of money changing the flavour of the suburb, atracting investment into a shopping complex that was run down, and atracting professional offices. Most of the public amenities have been refurbished, and been made ‘family friendly’.
    The Bayswater hotel is now gentrified, and has lost the slaughterhouse tag of a decade ago.
    Ditto for croydon, with major dollars spent on cleaning up the flannel shirt tag in the hotels, shops and public areas.
    Boronia is between all of these, so gets the advantage of all. Major expenditure here has been train station going underground, a new hospital, and again – shopping centre investment.

These suburbs used to be seen as the urban fringe, and now are closer to the demographic centre of Melbourne than the centre of Melbourne!

As a disclaimer, I own PPOR in FTG, and 2 IP in Bayswater, so am biased. PPOR in FTG has doubled in value in last 5 yrs.[biggrin]. Hoping for more of the same!

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

How about the p/a growth of Newport, Altona, Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Sunshine, Maidstone, StAlbans etc..in the last 12 months? Some of these suburbs were the “untouchables” 3-5 years few years ago. Also the Mornington Peninsula is flying and still has some afordable IP’s in certain pockets ie; Franskton/& Nth.

Profile photo of orien100orien100
    @orien100

responded before reading all pages…. opps, still getting the hang of this forum thing. So this is my version of deleting my original message :-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.