All Topics / General Property / Innisfail VS Port Douglas QLD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of rumbizrumbiz
    @rumbiz

Having moved to Cairns a year ago and still a newcomer I was hoping if anyone could answer this question which is why Innisfail is so very low priced compared to Port Douglas and I mean apart from the fact that PD has multi million dollar homes compared to Innisfails 150k homes….if you look at these facts….

Port douglas is an hour north of Cairns/Innisfail is an hour south…..PD is on the coast/Innisfail is on the coast….PD has some infrastructure (retail) but Innisfail has more & would employ more people…..you have to travel thru Innisfail to get to Cairns but not PD….Innisfail has a river with wharfs right in town and is very picturesque being a hilly town…….I hear Innisfail is getting its first multi story apartment complex this year and developers are moving in……anybody here looked at Innisfail?

“love the deal – like the property”

Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie
    why Innisfail is so very low priced compared to Port Douglas

Ummm … would proximity to the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree have anything to do with it? How about a marina where most of the tourist operators are based, great cafes, bars, restaurants, stunning views north and south, a surf beach. I could go on.

Profile photo of rumbizrumbiz
    @rumbiz

ummm…dont know about that surf beach but anyway….my point was is why PD has forged ahead when Innisfail has failed to develop at all really. Innisfail isnt close to Daintree etc but is very close to some very impressive rainforest areas just north/west of Innisfail and I believe there is currently a rainforest canopy walk tourist attraction being built/planned as we talk. Proximity to the reef is probably about the same as Pd or not too much different anyway and Innisfail has a great natural port, riverfront land, land with sea views and all 1 hour to International airport – still doesent explain why PD has exploded in last 20 years and Innisfail has failed to grow much at all

“love the deal – like the property”

Profile photo of dmichiedmichie
    @dmichie
    dont know about that surf beach but anyway

Sure, it sucks compared with beaches further south, but its way better than most beaches in FNQ. Aren’t they trying to build a beach in Cairns now?

AFAIK Port Douglas is closer to the better preserved parts of the reef. The reef boats always sail north from Cairns not south. There is more agriculture (sugar cane) south of Cairns so the reef isn’t so healthy.

PD is pretty much at the northern extreme of coastal development (if you ignore Cooktown). Its pretty untouched up there, and the coastline between Cairns and Cooktown is stunning.

The Daintree is special because once you cross the river there’s no mains electricity and very little development (no thanks to Joh). That’s what people fly half way around the world to see.

My memories of Innisfail was a hick town with not much going on. Some nice Queenslanders though. Perhaps Innisfail can find its Skase but I doubt it will ever be a Port Douglas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.