All Topics / Help Needed! / Affordable houses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Clay AClay A
    Participant
    @clay-a

Hi all

Im looking for a way of putting 3 & 4 bedroom houses onto some blocks of land in South West Queensland. I need to keep my costs below 90k for the 3 brs and 110k for the 4brs finished.

Anyone got any ideas?

Clay

Profile photo of tickytackytickytacky
    @tickytacky

Do you mean building new ones OR relocating old ones?

Profile photo of Clay AClay A
    Participant
    @clay-a

Either way. My original plan was to relocate old ones, but the costs I have seen so far seem to make it uneconomical

Profile photo of BattleshipsBattleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi Clay

I would have thought removal homes would be feasible. There are a few three bedders under $60K at http://www.drakehomes.com.au/removal/stock.htm.
    I used $60K to allow about 50% extra for costs. This would give you $90K all up. If you’re doing more than one you have a strong negotiating position as well.
    Cheers

Participant
    @clay-a

Thanks for the reply

Most of the second hand homes I have looked at to date appeared to need a lot of reno work when they get relocated. If you recon it can be done for that sort of money I will look a bit closer at as an option,

Have you had experience with moving houses? I am feeling a little unsure with all the bad publicity you hear about their ethics.

Clay

Profile photo of mortymorty
    @morty

G’day clay,

I’ve found that as long as the moving company is a reputable one (ie. ring around and ask some of their previous clients how they went) you shouldn’t have too many troubles moving houses onto the blocks.
    This would be a much cheaper option than building new, but as they are 2nd hand, and have been moved, there is ALOT of reno work required. But with a bit of elbow grease i’ve found it to be very worth while and a cheaper alternative to building from scratch.
    Goodluck,
    Morty

Participant
    @clay-a

Thanks Morty

I apppreciate your feedback. I guess I agree with you but I am trying to avoid the elbow grease as I am spread a little thin at the moment. As I typing this I can hear Steve McKnight saying on Saturday ” Are you in the business of investing?”. Bugger! Don’t you hate that?

Getting there Steve, getting there.

Thanks again

Clay

Profile photo of BattleshipsBattleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi Clay

I haven’t used a removal home myself but my parents have very successfully- HOWEVER-it was their PPOR and they put in a lot of work. Perhaps you could use someone else’s elbow grease- you’d have to price it in though. HMMM or swap it for rent.
    Cheers

Profile photo of TigerlillyTigerlilly
    @tigerlilly

Look up kitset homes on google and add $20,000 – 30,000 for the build price then add headworks. i.e. sewer, water connections, roads then landscaping.

Participant
    @clay-a

Thanks Battleships and Tigerlilly for the feeback.

Battleships, your idea of swaping reno time for rent is great, have that happening now in one in Ipswich. This one however needs to hit the ground running.

Tigerlilly, the link you sent looks good so far. If they can throw them up for what you suggest it should work.

Thanks all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.