All Topics / Help Needed! / Bank Valuation – ever value more than purch price

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of bacchubacchu
    Participant
    @bacchu

How true are the bank valuations ? Here i am thinking i have made a bargain buy and the bank sends a valuer in who values the place at the purchase price – nothing more. I guess a place is worth what it sells for but do they bank valuers ever come out with a value of more than the purchase price. Is there a reason why they should not for the bank ?

I bought this land for 255K …2 years ago its UV was 260K …just next door land (which is smaller than my block) was bought last year for 295K (its UCV 2 years ago was 250K) so i would have thought that my block would be worth a bit more than what the bank valuer found it to be – 255K !!

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Bank valuations do sometimes come in above market value but your should be happy that yours came in at purchase price in the current market. Often, even when the bank believes a property is worth more than what you paid for it, they will not tell you in case you want more money. This reduces their risk exposure by keeping your LVR as low as possible.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The rarely come in over, but i had one client who had a property come in 20% more than purchase price. In the end, I was able to get him a 95% loan without mortgage insurance.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of justinhengjustinheng
    @justinheng

Bank valuations are generally conservative [ie. just less of the purchase price or market value].
    This is because the bank uses it for “mortgage purposes” and not for a sale or marketing purposes.

It would be different if you got another outside valuer like from real estate agents.

=)
    Justin
    [banker]

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Real estate agents only do ‘appraisals’. These are worth less than used toilet paper. They over estimate in an attempt to get a listing.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hi bacchu,

Yes, received our valuation on the Industrial block we just purchased less than 2 weeks ago now.

Bank organised the valuation (I grilled my Banker and asked him what his verbal instructions to the valuer was – he said ‘no preconceived ideas’) and lo and behold the valuation came back $ 140 K higher than the purchase price.

Previous to the valuation, I sat down with the Banker and showed him the VGO data I’d purchased for $ 375 for all Perth metro industrial areas. The final valuation figure was within 0.4% of our VGO bare land data. (I then mentioned it was a waste of money carrying out these outrageously expensive valuations – more than $ 6 K ).

Both the Bank and our group were very happy. The Vendor had the place on the market for over 10 months and just wanted to flog it off – despite it being +CF.

Valuation was only $ 10 K above his asking price – so we knew we got a bargain.

Anyway, it does happen, but my Banker said it was rare.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Dazz, you have been spilling the beans about your great buy, now time not to be shy and tell us where in Perth Metro…. [biggrin]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

That’s a bit forward of you Marisa….

Happy to keep the posts vague and non-interesting if that’s what forumites really want…but I believe vague one liners don’t add much value – this is a numbers game after all ??

Picked up one big block ‘the problem child’ in Welshpool 2 months ago now and the +CF big one in Ozzy Park a fortnight ago.

Our cupboard is now bare…so happy hunting !!! It’s fertile ground.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi,

Valuers usually ring the local real estate agents to get an idea of value. I used to type up the valuations in a big bank. The valuers were always conservative – after all, they just want the bank to be able to get their money back, nothing more. So, apart from the fact that they are sometimes crucial in getting your loan, bank valuations are not worth the paper they are written on, in my opinion.

Let’s face it, if you are paying for a valuation yourself, you can ask the valuer to put whatever slant on it that suits your purposes in getting the valuation.

Six years ago, we sold an IP. Bank valued it at $150K, we sold it for $215 a matter of weeks later. They were just lazy and didn’t do any work. I also know that we had to ask our bank (when refinancing) to actually come into the house because they often just do a drive by and if the house doesn’t look any different from the records of the last valuation, they haven’t a clue about what you may have done inside.

Of course, the drive by is fine if you don’t need the value to increase, eg just a refinance, but if you want more money, you have to prise them out of their car to actually take a look.

I take the whole valuation thing with a big grain of salt.

My parents bought a house inner southside of Brisbane a couple of years ago (before the boom) for $118K with land valuation of $115K. Bank valued it at $118, surprise, surprise!!

Regards, Wylie

Profile photo of kingsunkingsun
    Participant
    @nking4224

Does anyone know of situation where….. bank valuation came back at agreed purchase price. Following building and pest we renegotiated a lower purchase price by $20k to cover some issues. Mortgage company has now asked the valuer to revise the valuation to new lower purchase price and valuer has requested our building and pest reports…..is this normal??? I thought valuation based on what they see and market, land etc….any help appreciated cause i cannot find any info on similar situation..

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Ah yes. this is a problem because the banks and valuers dont want to give the impression that they are lazy or flexible with their valuations. They have to have a reason to revise the price down. When negotiating contracts after building inspection reports you could try to get a rebate on the same purchase price rather than a change to the purchase price for this reason. Once vals are ordered, loan docs submitted the train has left the station its hard to bring it back. Now for you I think you will need to provide the report or change lenders. The only risk is they see the report and worry that there is more than 20k worth of work, which may result in a smaller loan amount. Hopefully not.

Does anyone know of situation where….. bank valuation came back at agreed purchase price. Following building and pest we renegotiated a lower purchase price by $20k to cover some issues. Mortgage company has now asked the valuer to revise the valuation to new lower purchase price and valuer has requested our building and pest reports…..is this normal??? I thought valuation based on what they see and market, land etc….any help appreciated cause i cannot find any info on similar situation..

<i class=”rw-ui-like-icon”></i>0<i class=”rw-ui-dislike-icon”></i>0

<i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-outer-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.498039);”></i><i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-inner-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></i>Rate this

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Poor advice from your Broker / Conveyancer as there are a couple of ways around it.

Hate to say too late now.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 properties in a decade. Email me for a copy of my API interview.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of kingsunkingsun
    Participant
    @nking4224

Yes too late now and lesson learnt…we do have ample equity to cover a low val but just if lender will accept it…def would’ve been nice to have been advised by solicitors about this….thanks for responses.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

I’d say it was more an issue with the broker/banker than solicitor – price adjustments are quite normal and generally don’t go down this path.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.