All Topics / Help Needed! / Architect Designed Homes

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of mjamja
    Participant
    @mja

Hey all,

Has anyone here in this forum ever built an architect designed home? By this, I mean that you *didn’t* go and buy a project home and whack it on a block… instead, you invested in an architect to design a home for the block.

Did it pay off? What were the architect fees like?

Cheers!

— MJ.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hey, the best idea is to probably have alook around and go to architect, you’ll find it will be alittle more exspensive but worth every penny.
    My parents house was designed by an architect from the north coast, and it really paid off. Plus you could also speak to and enviromental acrchitect they have some great ideas with how to be eco friendly.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

http://www.infolink.com.au/articles/1d/0c02831d.asp
    here check out this link on environmental has some great info

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

With the second link have a read about the architect John Mainwaring.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Sorry about the all over the place reply. But i hope you do find what your looking for

Profile photo of mjamja
    Participant
    @mja
    Originally posted by simplybliss:

Sorry about the all over the place reply. But i hope you do find what your looking for

Thanks for the links! Anyone else had an architect design a home for them? I guess this question may be more honed towards home owners rather than investors.

Is it a waste of time getting an architect to design an investment home? :)

— MJ.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I actually spoke with an architect regarding getting a home built. The cost seems rather high when they tell you but I believe the benefits will pay off when the property is completed and/or when you sell it. Architecturally designed homes usually attract a higher valuation if the work is quality which enables you to access more equity or just have more equity available to you.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of mjamja
    Participant
    @mja
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

I actually spoke with an architect regarding getting a home built. The cost seems rather high when they tell you but I believe the benefits will pay off when the property is completed and/or when you sell it. Architecturally designed homes usually attract a higher valuation if the work is quality which enables you to access more equity or just have more equity available to you.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Thanks Robert!

I’ll be sure to mention to the valuer about this award winning architect we’re looking at using!

Assuming we can afford this house he’s proposing… ;)

— MJ.

Profile photo of vyvyenvyvyen
    Participant
    @vyvyen

Hi MJA,

I have built 2 homes designed by an architect. We only used the architect to design the homes and built them ourselves – well worth the money.

Profile photo of TigerlillyTigerlilly
    @tigerlilly

Yes I would agree the drawings are expensive. I have been looking at the same senario for myself and in so doing talked to 2 builders of architect homes and local real estate sales people about possible sales prices. The possible sales price well outweighed the design cost. I was also advised that in a low market while middle priced houses are a dime a dozen & hard to sell there will always be people buying at the upper end.

Good luck. The design concept sounds exciting.

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Depends on your needs and which architect.

It’s an extra buzz to be able to say “architecturally designed” and it should attract a higher end buyer/tenant…

So long as the design is practical. Some architects have their heads in the clouds, and what they design may look great (or may look totally bizarre), but when someone is looking for a home they want a certain amount of practicality. No-matter how streamlined you may want your residence, you need a spot for the bin (something that can be overlooked in the design phase!).

Have a look at an architect’s portfolio and think a) would someone want to live in that, b) what would they be willing to pay to live in it, c) is it sufficiently unique that it will attract a premium to outweigh the expense.

If you’re not necessarily needing an “architecturally designed” tag, you might want to consider a Designer/Builder (or Builder/Designer). They are less expensive than an architect (as an architect generally charges 10% of the job, and are therefore more inclined to build more expensive houses) while Designer Builder’s usually charge set fees based on how much it costs for them to design and build the house.

To become an Architect you need to do 5 year university degree in Architecture.

To become an accredited Designer Builder you need to be a licensed Builder (obtained through about 3 or 4 years at TAFE plus many years of on-the-job experience in a senior role) plus complete a 3 year university degree in Building Design that is recognised by the Building Designer’s Association.

The difference to my mind is that an Architect is more highly regarded (and paid), while a Designer Builder has a more practical understanding of materials and how to put them together to gain the desired affect.

**I may be somewhat biased, as my partner works in the building industry, and they are forever having to pick up on design mistakes in the plans, and are regularly in litigation as a result of Architects who have made alterations to the plans half way into the job – thereby blowing out time and costing schedules.

Profile photo of buzzwellsbuzzwells
    Participant
    @buzzwells

It’s more expensive than “project homes” but team an architect and a good builder and you’ll get far better quality in your completed project.

Also it may be quicker as some spec homes can take over 18 months to complete – and they are basically kits (rooms banged-up together).

Learn, Love, Strive. Make a difference!

Profile photo of mitmmitm
    @mitm

When viewing project homes of various building companies, one particular display home salesman introduced us to the builders architect. His job was to modify the project home floorplans to suit the clients needs. This particular architect took us in his car to our new block where he got a feel for the situation including sun, neighbouring houses (proximity to neighbours outdoor & living areas, windows etc)
    We went back to the display home, where he drew a floorplan which incorporated some of our “has to have” ‘s.
    We’ve lived here for over 10 years, as it works for us. Also, subsequent valuers have said a good workable floorplan makes a home timeless = $$$$$. Architect fee for this service = $0 (They got the sale)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.