All Topics / Help Needed! / Positive Cashflow Investing in Sydney

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of amam
    Participant
    @am192

Hi Forum

After reading steve’s book I have look on the internet to see if I could discover any positive cashflow properties both outer and rural areas from Sydney CDB.

I really can’t find any, am I too late or am I looking in all the wrong places.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking for positive cash flow property investments. Either in NSW, QLD or VIC. I am not ready to invest just yet but am very keen just to see one available to give me hope I can make his practices work for me.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Last year at least 2 of our clients had found postive geared properties in Sydney. You just have to look for something with a twist.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

And if it has too much of a twist, don’t expect to be able to borrow much against it so have a nice chunky deposit on hand.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of erwanjgerwanjg
    @erwanjg

Firstly I suggest you to read the second book of Phil. You will discover than the goal is not to find a positive cashflow property (which is really hard in this moment everywhere in Australia) but find a “problem” and sell a solution to make a profit.
    I am not saying that such properties do not exist anymore but maybe you should write down a investment strategy in this market context.

Regards,
    ErwanJG

Profile photo of ACTSMARTPIACTSMARTPI
    Participant
    @actsmartpi

You’re going to need to look further afield than Sydney. Generally you should try the country areas of the states. Also, because ‘positive’ cash flow properties are more difficult to find you need to broaden your approach to searching. Look out for those that are close to being positive – and could be made so, with a bit of thinking ‘outside the square’

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Obviously cash-flow positive properties are particularly difficult to find in the current Sydney market (where most people look for capital gains rather than good rental return) but if you look good and hard one will turn up… eventually.

Looking in cheaper areas of Sydney (or outside Sydney) – where the property itself is less expensive is a start. Also find areas where people either earn a lower pay packet (so they can’t afford to buy and must rent) or work primarily in casual/contract employment (in which case they may earn a fair amount but are unable to get financing). Of course – cheaper housing/tenants may mean you find yourself with greater repair expenses… gotta weight it up for yourself.

Now is probably a good time to buy slightly run down places that a slap of paint etc will fix – whereby you can quickly increase the value of the property to tenants. When the market was hotter these places were always snapped up by builders who did a quick reno and on sold a couple months later – obviously with the slower market they cannot afford to do this anymore. This is not recommended if you have no experience in fixing places up, as costs can quickly blow out.

You could also consider a vendor finance/wrap option for immediate positive cash flow. I haven’t tried this, but obviously Steve has to great success.

Also – regarding your research – best properties in Sydney often get snapped up prior to internet listing. Better to develop a relationship with agents so that you’re on the inner circle – or think creative and start popping your details into the letter boxes of houses you think might be of interest to you. Offer a fair price that is a bit less than the open market but more than they would get if they went through a real estate agent (who takes a commission).

Good luck

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes there are proeprties with a twist out there in Sydney, very small units near CBD for about $130,000 that rent for about $250pw. But they are so small it is hard to get finance.

But it is also possible to get ‘normal’ properties which you can make positive geared.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.