All Topics / Opinionated! / Numbers and quality on this site dropping

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

9. The ‘soap box’ post.

Thinking about the ongoing criticism of newbies made me think of school. What the newbie critics here are saying is that the repetitive nature of some of the questions here are a problem.

I know that when I went to primary school, I asked the teacher what 5 X 7 totalled. I imagine my kids would ask the same question. It would also follow that their kids would also ask this question.

Following the chain of thought of ‘some’ of the more experienced posters here, questions should only be asked once and an answer written down somewhere for the next person to try and find.

This is a ridiculous idea especially on the internet which many people have difficulty using at the best of times.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry
    Originally posted by Michael Whyte:

Phil,

Not a bad idea at all to split out a “Getting Started” forum board. You could even make it such that new members can only post in this sandpit board until they reach 50 posts or some such. They can still read all the other technical stuff but only post in the other boards when they’re off their L-Plates.

I’m sure the mods won’t go for this though as this forum is very unmoderated.

BTW, I would have had no issue whatsoever posting in a newbie forum until I found my feet and I’m sure this wouldn’t be a disincentive to new users.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Michael,

I find this to be very patronising. You may not have minded posting in a newbie forum… but this is the very structured kind of thing that I feel is inappropriate.

It doesn’t matter how many posts a person has, how many IP’s they have, how much kiyosaki they have read… all that really matters is what people have to say- their ideas on RE investing, or technival information; and sometimes, merely the exchange of ideas.

I certainly think that singling out “newbies” as if they are unlearned and have little to contribute… is not something I would be interested in seeing, although I am sure it would make some people feel powerful- some people need that- go figure.

This is a forum- with some good info, and some less than useful info- but what do we want? Only serious posts for serious people? I reckon we can lighten up- this place is not gonna make us or break us as people. Sometimes, when I am feeling particularly intolerant, I just take some time out and do other things- maybe people are obsessing a little too much about forum “quality”- it’s a furphy notion, I reckon.

kay henry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I met a bunch of forum readers at a function on Saturday. Nearly all of them told me they didn’t post here because they were too scared of being put down.

Regardless of the writer’s intent it is the audiences perception that is important. I try to read my posts before I post them and think of how others will take them. Perhaps others could consider doing this too?

I think making people feel welcome, regardless of social standing (read number of posts) is the mark of real manners.

Cheers

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Simon,

I didn’t know you were a moderator over here. Good form!!

Particularly liked the content of your last post this thread too. It can be very “daunting” as a newbie, and when you see venomous posts it certainly deters you from posting your thoughts IMHO.

I can see how a newbie board might come across the wrong way too in retrospect. Just stating that for me it wouldn’t have been a deterrant at all and would have actually made me more willing to post knowing I was doing so where newbies are welcomed to do so!

As always, just my 2C,
    Michael.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

10 Points!!!

Great backflip Micahel!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

@michael-whyte

Rob,

Not nice. [biggrin]

In my opinion the idea of a newbie area still hold merit, just conceded that other newbies might be put off by it. We’ll never know as it won’t be implemented. Just trying to get creative to keep the forum on the improve.

How’s that for a pike with a double twist? [biggrin]

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

Something to consider- The reason some posters may post few posts is that if they are employed they would consider it theft of their employer’s time to post or be reading this board during working hours.Consequently they are likely to remain “newbies” for a long time. Before a torrent descends- I am self employed.All the best to all investors whether young ,old experienced or inexperienced.

@michael-whyte

Magellan,

Great post and great point!

In some companies, their internet policy explicitly prohibits posting on forums or receiving internet email. Fortunately, my company does not have this strict a policy and so long as I can get my job done I’m free to frequent the forums in between tasks.

But a very good point…

Cheers,
    Michael.

@robbie-b

Bonus points for the double twist!!!

I think a newbie area is a good idea and I think you will find a newbie area included in the near future. I am sure if I start ball-busting Steve like I normally do, he will give in eventually!!! Some help from others may mean this happens sooner. I am very persistent!

I am also adamant that it not be restrictive though. I just think it should be the first area seen when entering the forum boards and have a good topic description.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of aussiexjaussiexj
    Participant
    @aussiexj

I am a newbie and after reading this forum topic I quickly took my post off incase it was stupid. I hope Kiyosali doesn’t join, because under the newby rules he would be there for at least 50 posts. Don’t need his input. Sometimes even the newest newbie has a new and innovative take on an old and boring view or topic.

AXJ

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by aussiexj:

I am a newbie and after reading this forum topic I quickly took my post off incase it was stupid.

AXJ

I am sorry to hear that. Please don’t be afraid to post in future. Like my teacher said “the only stupid questions are the ones not asked”

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@michael-whyte
    Originally posted by aussiexj:

I am a newbie and after reading this forum topic I quickly took my post off incase it was stupid. I hope Kiyosali doesn’t join, because under the newby rules he would be there for at least 50 posts. Don’t need his input. Sometimes even the newest newbie has a new and innovative take on an old and boring view or topic.

AXJ

AXJ,

I hope that was tongue in cheek and that you didn’t really pull a post for fear of negative responses…

My suggestion around a Newbie area was to make that daunting first post “less daunting” knowing that its in an area specifically designed for you to get whatever it is off your chest. Some newbies are a bit nervous about posting in areas titled “Developing” or “Finance” or “Help Needed” or some such, but to post in “New to the forum” or “Getting Started” might be a lot less daunting.

It was just a thought, and I’d think that most members of this forum would treat newcomers nicely regardless of where their first post surfaced.

IMHO,
    Michael.

Profile photo of SeeChangeSeeChange
    @seechange
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

The problem with Somersoft is that there is a ‘group’ mentality. If you disagree with someone in the ‘group’ you have no future there. You get bombarded by all those in the ‘group’ until you leave, cease posting or get banned for a ridiculous reason.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

[

Rob

The only thing the so called group at somersoft have in common is that they like to have an element of reason and logic in the debate.

When people come in and get involved in discussions where they conveniently ingore logical arguements and go off at irrelevant tagents the frequent posters ( or the group as you like to call them ) will challenge them, which is how it chould be.

There is as wide a range of view points on how to invest on somersoft as there is here.

The only reason why people get banned on Somersoft is for spam , abusive , threatening or potential libelous posts, and even then , most of these posts are just deleted and the poster asked to chill.

See Change

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Good points seachange,

My only real frustration is getting people to stay on track. If you read many posts here about half way through you wonder what the origional post was.

It’s no wonder so many new people are scard to post.

Phil

@robbie-b

I am just about to get banned from Someroft AGAIN… I didn’t expect to last the week there. Some people must feel really threatened by my presence for some reason.

I never knew telling it how it is and not treading on eggshells were considered “too aggressive”.

Anyway, it is their loss as far as I am concerned.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

@robbie-b

Sea Change, tell your mates over at Somersoft that I appreciate their accepting me back and the ’24 hour’ poll that was to be undertaken on whether I should be allowed to stay or not. That lasted all of ten minutes.

They are way too sensitive over at Somersoft!!!!

I have lost what little respect I had for some of the Mods there.

I hope you, Acey et ors are happy mate!

Anyway, back to ignoring your attempts at flaming me here.

Have a nice weekend.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

Rob, its

et al

. adv 1: used as an abbreviation of `et alii’ (masculine plural) or `et aliae’ (feminine plural) or `et alia’ (neutral plural) when referring to a number of people [syn: et al, and others]

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

@robbie-b

Actually, it is ‘et ors’. I prefer using this from my French heritage. It means the same thing – ‘and others’ (not dictionary meaning and probably spelt wrong).

Is it ok for me to use French?

I also believe it is commonly used in legal jargon to refer to the same thing. Probably from Latin.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of SeeChangeSeeChange
    @seechange
    Quote:
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Sea Change, tell your mates over at Somersoft that I appreciate their accepting me back and the ’24 hour’ poll that was to be undertaken on whether I should be allowed to stay or not. That lasted all of ten minutes.

They are way too sensitive over at Somersoft!!!!

I have lost what little respect I had for some of the Mods there.

I hope you, Acey et ors are happy mate!

Anyway, back to ignoring your attempts at flaming me here.

Have a nice weekend.

The Mortgage Adviser

Rob

I’m having a good weekend except for the Swannies playing like a pack of dogs…..

Must admit I missed the posts that got you kicked off, but I do have other things to do , so I don’t spend all day glued to the internet.

From your previous posts I didn’t think you had much respect for anyone over at somersoft. If you’d listened to the feedback over there , you would have realised that people don’t actually disagree with the content of what you say , rather they don’t like the way you say it.

Certainly when the internet started it was a fairly anarchaic place and people tended to shot and ask questions later. Maybe you were looking for that type of place , but in my experience Somersoft isn’t that sort of place.

I just had a look at the page of the top ( as in number of posts ) posters on somersoft and realised that I’ve met over half of them in real life over the 3-4 years. Once you’ve met someone in real life you tend to treat them with more respect.

I always like the definition of insanity as doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

I don’t think anyone could realistically expect a forum that has been established for several years to change it’s behaviour and rules to accomodate one persons behaviour so if you realistically wanted to become a member over there , maybe you should have thought about changing your behaviour which obviously was antagonising a significant number of long term members who make somersoft what it is.

If you don’t like what it is , why bother going there ?

I’ve been told by people who have met you, that in real life you’re a nice person, but in your behaviour at somersoft over the last few days , that din’t come across. You certainly didn’t show any consideration or respect for the members over there. Probably doesn’t matter to you , but considering you did make the effort to rejoin somersoft I wonder about the way you behaved while you were there.

On a final note I’m curious as to which posts on PI.com you consider that I’ve flamed you. I’d be interested in knowing, so I can get some feedback.
    I wouldn’t want to continue posting in a manner you are sensitive about. I wouldn’t want to do that over here.[blush2]

See Change

@robbie-b

See, interesting post. I am happy to discuss any topic that does not involve personal attack. Also, if in doubt as to my intention, I would prefer being asked.

The jist of your post here appears to me to be telling me to conform or be banished. Feel free to confirm or deny this. What sort of advice, information, dialogue, debate, discussion would you get if everyone acted the same?

Let me answer that for you… you would get Somersoft.

You didn’t miss much. It is the usual cover up so the mods can say what they like about what happened. Basically it was the mods having a dig and me not backing down to their demands. I never directed any personal attacks at anyone nor did I use offensive language. It was all about ‘how I said things’ which I find quite funny seeing these are words on a screen written withut emotion. It is not my fault people at somersoft feel inferior after reading some words on a screen.

As for respect for somersoft regulars, I don’t have much at all for most of the heavy posters . There are only a small handful that I consider to be worth something. Certainly, most of the power-tripping mods do not fall into that category.

I was not looking for anything other than a place to discuss something I am passionate about… finance and investment. I have no problem whatsoever with what people say to me as I am content being allowed to respond. The only time a problem arises is when I am prevented from answering in a similar manner which occurs in all forums.

I didn’t ask anyone to change nor did I break any rules. The way someone interprets my typing is not covered in the rules. They are way too senstive!!! Some regulars here are also sensitive but I blame that on them also frequenting the somersoft forums.

See, you will never understand the situation unless you were around about a year ago. It is an ongoing thing.

I am glad that people have told you I am nice in real life. It is just a damn shame that they will never step up to the plate in the forums out of fear of getting the boot. What sort of crappy place is that when people are afraid to post???

Your comments imply that I showed no respect to all the members over there. My comments were in response to a lack of respect shown to me and were only to three or four individuals who I do not respect at all.

I rejoined as a bet. Another member wanted to know if I would get the boot within a week again without swearing or directly abusing anyone after some comments I made here. I thought I was a certainty to win. I lost as it took a few days too many.

The rules were that I was supposed to post in my usual tell it how I see it way and only respond adversely when someone else wrote adversely to me. I complied fully with this and the result was being banned. It is like reading a book over there – same old crap!

I am not sensitive about anything. It is the ‘way you said it’ comments that I wanted to avoid responding to as I probably would have been banned from this forum – AGAIN!!!

I guess people forget that when you help a hell of a lot more people than those who you clash with, it is those who scream the loudest that will be heard. Those I clash with are the biggest sooks and are always heard and I don’t think you will ever hear anyone say that I do not bend over backwards to help people I don’t even know. I guess this is not important to those at somersoft if you do not suck up to the mods and conform to their way of thinking.

By the way, did the Swannie win???

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.