All Topics / Opinionated! / Numbers and quality on this site dropping

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

You do realise that was a joke don’t you?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I do – you just missed the irony.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

ANUbiS,

I was actually hoping you were not inferring what it is you seem to be inferring. I guess you are.

No problem!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

quy17187,
    As you can see,
    you never have to fear asking a stupid question on this site.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

@robbie-b

Or asking a sensible one…

There is always someone willing to attack!!!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

…which is precisely why I’ve moved over to the dark side and don’t spend as much time here any more. Its not the attacks and counter attacks themselves that bother me per se, its just having to mentally filter out these posts (which can make up half of a thread) that is just too much hard work.

At least over on SS, most of the posts stay on topic and the topics are actually about REI.

Ciao,
    Michael.

@robbie-b

Michael, I think that comes down to extreme censorship and strict moderation. Somsersoft is reknown for it!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

good moderation makes a good forum, because I would argue that the majority of people couldn’t be bothered with having to wade through the personal attacks etc that this place is now littered with.

I barely come here any more because it’s the same old names spewing the same old stuff. Some of the people I used to like discussing things with bob up from time to time, but very rarely from what I can see.

I find time spent at somersoft much more worthwhile these days, I used to think it was a bit stuffy, but I prefer that to some of the pointless rubbish that’s here nowadays.

Each to their own.

r

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Fair enough, richmond :)

I do find somersoft to be too sycophantish and hero-worshipping- I find that gets in the way of having differing opinions. I think anyone can puff themselves up and use smug winks to support what we have just read online in the newspaper that morning, but I am not sure that makes for intelligent discourse.

I guess I find ss to be more “selling success” and grandstanding. If people question some members, a whole line of sycophants come to the rescue- whereas I think scrutiny is a good thing- we all can do with it.

I guess I like the more egalitarian nature of this Forum- as an anarchist, I like equality, and not the old “suck up” hierarchies elsewhere.

I check it out sometimes to see if there’s some articles I’ve missed or whatever, but the pomposity of it and the one-upmanship gets a little tedious. It’s a bit “my house is bigger than your house and I have a bigger car” kind of place- a bit “old-mannish”, if you see where I’m coming from.

Having said that, I think Jan Somers has a lot of good things to say, and many of us would have been influenced by her as one of the first good books on RE to come out. Gurus can’t really help how their forums turn out.

kay henry

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I think that Michael and Richmond have made my point well in relation to the post.

If people could stick to the post topic and not be diverted into self importance replies it would make to more interesting dialog.

Sometimes i read threads that have gone totally sideways and wonder about the mentality of the people responding. Maybe they r trying to strike up responses to increase their mumbers.

I havn’t used ss but i may start to try. I think that this site has developed quite a valuable following however, the deminishing quality with out attention could have a negative effect in the future.

resi

@robbie-b

The problem with Somersoft is that there is a ‘group’ mentality. If you disagree with someone in the ‘group’ you have no future there. You get bombarded by all those in the ‘group’ until you leave, cease posting or get banned for a ridiculous reason.

I find PI.com a much better place for free speech (still with a lot of restrictions though) and especially for newbies trying to learn.

The main problem I find in here is members of the Somersoft ‘group’ coming here to complain about quality.

Regarding the ‘same old names’ comment, this is evident nowhere more than at Somersoft. Also, the moderators there are on some kind of power-trip. At least here, most of them are reasonable. No-one has a problem if there posts get deleted when it is reasonable!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of aussiexjaussiexj
    Participant
    @aussiexj

I am 35 and just starting. I’ve just joined recently and am very greatful to those who are willing to answer my silly questions. Oh, great resi, won’t you give some of your time to the meagre. We all started where you did and hope to end where you hope to.

AXJ

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Let’s get real,
    Visit PI or SS and you will read many posts which provide meaningless information – regardless.

Dont we all sift through the posts and from time to time find something useful?

If you are not interested…. I say, just tune out.

@robbie-b

Having said that, I find most of the good posts in this forum appear in that forum as well and vice versa. I personally also prefer the layout and colours on this site. Much more appealing

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

I’ve been around for a long time.
    In that time I’ve read many posts on this and other websites.They all have their low times.
    It could be that you read the same comments, slightly differently written, but basicly the same.
    The only two property websites in Australia that are worth the effort is this one and Somersoft.
    With this site you are freer to express yourself that Somersoft.
    Somersoft “monitors” really are full of themseves.They believe that they have the “right” to edit or delete anything that isn’t in their line of thought.
    Their website is there for their ego.

Just my thoughts.
    bruham.

@michael-whyte

Each to their own,

I’m with Richmond completely on this one. I spend a lot more time on Somersoft now and have never had one of my posts pulled or even had any one attack any of them either. I’ve had people question my conclusions, but isn’t that what forums are supposed to engender?

I’d much rather have a well constructed meaningful dialogue with informed real estate investors than a fee for all in an unmoderated sandpit.

I guess it all comes down to your personal style and mine is much more closely aligned to the posters over on SS. There’s still good diamonds in here every now and again such as Michael Yardley’s thread (started by MiniMogul) on Developing, but for the most part its the same old “Where do I buy CF+?” and venomous attacks on financing and LOCs etc.

I’m a buy and holder using leverage for maxing my CG, so SS has more info that supports my strategy.

IMHO,
    Michael.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Thanks 4 the feed back, i think that the problem is me more than anything else with repeating questions.

So what about the idea of formatting the site differently. Like a getting started section, a wrap area etc etc …

resi

@michael-whyte

Phil,

Not a bad idea at all to split out a “Getting Started” forum board. You could even make it such that new members can only post in this sandpit board until they reach 50 posts or some such. They can still read all the other technical stuff but only post in the other boards when they’re off their L-Plates.

I’m sure the mods won’t go for this though as this forum is very unmoderated.

BTW, I would have had no issue whatsoever posting in a newbie forum until I found my feet and I’m sure this wouldn’t be a disincentive to new users.

Cheers,
    Michael.

@robbie-b
    Originally posted by Michael Whyte:

… and venomous attacks on financing and LOCs etc.

I guess this refers to me.

The main problem I find with SS locals is that they only know of three types of posts.

1. The ‘yes man’ post which they cherish and adore.
    2. The ‘suck up but disagree’ post which keeps their egos in tact.
    3. The ‘get moderated and / or banned “VENOMOUS ATTACK”‘ post which makes them look bad and hurts their precious egos.

I believe they have not yet realised that typing words on a screen is more often than not misinterpreted. If the person is not in the ‘club’, they dive straight for the moderate or ban buttons if their post is perceived as type 3.

What the more sensitive SS locals fail to realise is that there are more than three types of posts. Here are some of them…

4. The ‘who cares because I am just having some fun’ post (very lacking on SS).
    5. The ‘I want to stir up a little activity’ post.
    6. The ‘totally disagree as you don’t know what you are talking about’ post.
    7. The ‘HEATED DEBATE’ post.

Number 7 is a personal favourite of mine and how I see most of my posts which are often described by SS locals and other sensitive forumites as “venomous attacks”. People just love using that word ‘attack’. If heated debate is good enough for our politicians (just watch hansard on ABC), it is certainly good enough for this and other forums.

By the way, regardless of my many ‘venomous attacks’ directed at various ‘ISSUES’, I have no problem whatsoever with any of the writers.

I think it would be appropriate if all new SS members are sent a box of tissues upon joining. They are WAY TOO SENSITIVE over there.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

@robbie-b
    Originally posted by Michael Whyte:

You could even make it such that new members can only post in this sandpit board until they reach 50 posts or some such.

Very well thought out plan.

8. The ‘sarcastic response’ post.

Another of my favourites!

Kind of like the blind leading the blind don’t you think? How will they learn if all posters are newbies and those with more than 50 posts can’t post there to help them?

What about very experienced individuals who join up and cannot contribute to the forum because they are restricted to wearing nappies?

I wish people would get off the case of the newbies and just deal with it. If you don’t like what is being posted, don’t read it.

Most people here can learn a thing or two from anyone so it is good to have such a diverse community to bounce ideas off.

If you guys want to scare of the newbies and have some sort of exclusive club, stick to SS.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

Investor Links

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.