All Topics / Value Adding / Developing property on vacant land…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

I am actually considering buying vacant land in country western australia and developing a property on it.

I need advise from seasoned people what I should look out for when purchasing the land, engaging a builder, additional costs etc.

I also understand that there are steel frame homes that can be built in the country. Are prices of steel frame homes significantly cheaper than brick homes?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Steel frames homes just replace the wooden frame with a steel frame. A brick veneer can be built using either frame. Steel frames tend to be more expensive than wood.

Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982

I know in Victoria Steel frames homes are useless because of the aroma of corrosion percentage in the air during a common summer afternoon which is approx half of what exists in Western Australia.

The only way to get around this is to install 90 x 45 Unseasoned pine noggings @ 450 or 600CTS to the insulation batts to absorb the corrosion and prevent the attack of steel.

It might be different in W.A. Call the manufacterer and mention the corrosion intake.

Cheers

Cheers

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Steel might be a good option in perth because of the termites, but her in vic we stay away from them they are noisy, more expensive and not as flexible easy to work with. Never heard of corrosion aroma, but i might be something to look or smell for.

Profile photo of westinvestwestinvest
    @westinvest

Double brick 4×2 or 3×2 is the best way to go bevelopment wise.
    Regards

Profile photo of janetbiankajanetbianka
    @janetbianka

when looking for a builder make sure to check out previous properties they’ve built & talk to the owners as you don’t want to be waiting 12 months for a property to be build when it should have only taken 3 months !.

timber is easier to work with and definatly cheaper in Tas. not sure about anywhere else.

thanks

Profile photo of SpidermanSpiderman
    Participant
    @spiderman

A building company called J G King is very large in country Victoria and uses steel frames. I have not built with them so I don’t know their quality. Quite a big builder so they must be doing something right.

Cheers

Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

I built a house before. Actualy the builder let me choose timber frame or steel? I went to Steel one.

Profile photo of westinvestwestinvest
    @westinvest

We build in Country W.A planning our 3rd this year our 4th in the past 2 years.

Purchasing the land, You can still fined land in the South West priced from 80k we would purchase land in a subdivision.

Engaging a Builder, We use Project Builders to build each home and its personal thingy as to who you use.

Additional costs,We do not go for the home and land packages because you pay stamp duty on the Land plus the House if you do a package.

Tell the land agent you plan to build for Investment, they may have a nice block at a lower price or better location in the subdivision.

Tell the Project Builders rep “I’m an Investor” 1st up and he will have a better idea of what your looking for in a house plan.

Regards

http://www.owner.com.au

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

“We do not go for the home and land packages because you pay stamp duty on the Land plus the House if you do a package.”

A home and land package only has stamp duty applicable to the land but you have to pay interest during construction. An off the plan house purchase has stamp duty on the full value but you have no holding costs, however there is the developers profit to consider.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

A lot of houses up North (WA)are built with steel frames and corrugated iron (custom orb)and place ssuch as Port Hedland,Broome and Derby are ‘very’ close to the water, sea breezes and salt flats, they seem to survive ok though. No gutters on any houses here due to the heavy rains

IMHO i dont think much of some of the termite mesch products either.. termites up there are fierce..all the power lines are steel also!

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.