All Topics / Opinionated! / Are seminars scams?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982

I would like to hear peoples input into seminars and whether they beleive that these 2-3 day seminars are beneficial?

I personally think that you might as well grab $3,000 and burn it. Quick rich quick scheme prevail for very few people. These people who are making $3,000 per person, per seminar are making pretty good money.

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

It can cost a fortune to run a seminar. They don’t make all fees as profit. I would say it depends on who is running the seminar and the content.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of smaansmaan
    @smaan

I recently attended one of steve’s masterclass seminars and found it very informative although it was a full on day. I have read both of steve’s book’s but by attending the seminar i learnt new things that i didn’t know. It was a one day seminar that didn’t cost thousands of dollars (only hundreds of dollars) but it was worth it and i would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of attending.

Tania

Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982

Smann,

I have no doubt they give you ‘some’ good advice but have you used it to make money in the long run or did you go to the seminar? listen and then go home and not do a thing about it?

That is my whole point – have people adopted these methods to make money? I highly doubt someone is going to give away all their secrets so you can make money and not them.

Cheers

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    There’s nothing in the seminars that you can’t learn on your own. The way I see it is that if you can’t learn it on your own you probably not the sort of person who will put the info in the seminar into practice.

Money is a representation of resource, of applicable ability to solve problems if you will. Sitting on your bum solves only the problem of sore feet and is so easy it is not really worth considering a resource and thus no one pays for you to sit on your bum. You could for example work a job and use the money to buy food and shelter etc… or you could equally work to grow crops, build a shelter and so on with no money at all. They both amount to the same thing and both can be substituted for one another.

So to think you can throw a bunch of money at someone and think it will magically mean you get money is non-sensical. It doesn’t and can’t work. Money = applyable resource. You can expend brain power (resource) to learn stuff and you can spend money for someone to teach you, but you can’t spend money to make money. You can only convert between money and resource (effort).

Are seminars scams? Only the ones that claim you WILL get rich by attending are scams. The ones that claim the knowedge imparted can be used (effort, resource) to get rich are honest.

Steve’s seminars are quite good value for money in the grand scheme of seminars (less than $1000) and the claim is only that you will be pointed in a correct direction.

The bottom line is you have to generate resource to convert to money.

Surrey.

Profile photo of DimmickDimmick
    @dimmick

Some are some aren’t. Unfortunatley in some cases you need to go along to find out but I would always make sure I read some literature by the speaker before spending a large sum of money attending the seminar to determine if they know what they are taking about. I attended the masterclass in Brisbane today and for me it proved that everyday people like me can achieve the things talked about in Steve’s book as they were there in the flesh to talk to and bounce questions off etc.

Profile photo of quy17187quy17187
    @quy17187

I personally found Steve’s one day seminar very enlightening and worth the cost. You can’t put a blanket statement that ‘all seminars are scams’.

Profile photo of KidKid
    @kid

I would just like to add that I too went to Steves masterclass in Brisbane today. I found it very informative. Also its not just about the seminar its also about networking with other people that think like you or want to be the same as you and I think you cant put a price tag on these friendships that you can end up making.
    Also its nice to be with people on the same level as you and not with people for example, You have missed the bost, The market is going to drop, etc, etc which we have all heard from our friends or familys. but at seminars you can put the negative sayings behind you and see that there are other people that are as willing as you are.
    Also you take away from the seminar what you feel fits your life or sometimes for example for me today was a wake up call to do something soon.

[biggrin]

Profile photo of markusjmarkusj
    @markusj

Hi,

I attended Steve’s Masterclass in Brisbane and loved it. I guess whether they are worth it depends largely on whether you use what is learned to improve your investing. A succsessful deal could pay for a seminar many times over.

I am weary of presenters getting people excited and then upselling a much more expensive product or seminar at the event. I would always take the info home and think it through when I was not on an emotional high. Best wishes

Profile photo of lonnielonnie
    @lonnie

Can’t see myself paying $1000’s to attend a seminar,however, I did attend the Mastr Class in Brisbane and found it useful. Also you can not discount the value of networking.

Profile photo of homefreehomefree
    @homefree

hom
    I also attented the Brissy Master Class Steve ran last weekend. The two main advantages I felt were one, that Steve ‘taught’ you rather that ‘told’ you how to approach investing, and two, all the other people you meet. So I can speak for all property seminars, but this one I can definitely recommend.

homefree

Profile photo of colbert1982colbert1982
    Participant
    @colbert1982

I just wanted to know where all these people are coming from with their 1st to 10th post telling us how wonderful Steve Seminars really are.

I have a feeling the follow may actually be steve under different user names: homefree, markusj, Kid, etc.

I find it alarming that all these postive responses come in when people are bagging the seminars but when he is making his millions you hear nothing!

Wake up people and steve, use your own username!

Cheers

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Seminars don’t interest me, but I wouldn’t say they are all scams. I feel that they cater to the “professional student” category – learn and learn but never do.

More like a bad investment decision or poor ROI/IRR/ROCI – choose your own measure.

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Buy the book first, and see if the person doing the seminar is good at explaining his/her ‘knowledge’ (and if it sounds solid to you). As with any education course, some are good and reputable, and others are shonky snatch-and run-jobs.

If you attend any professional (psychology, astronomy, medical, business, etc) seminar/conferance you can expect to spend (or have your employer spend on your ticket) hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars depending on who the speakers are, where the event is held, quality of catering, if it is a sponsored/subsidised event etc.

Why should it be free?

There are three benefits of attending a good seminar. One, to gain knowledge, two to network, and three as a motivational boost.

We all have different personalities, so each of us may want/need these in different portions. For example, I can’t stand ‘motivational’ speakers, but some people get a real high out of them. Personally I get motivated when new information is presented to me in such a way that I know I can go out and apply it.

This doesn’t mean that I am unmotivated normally (I am a highly self-motivated individual), but sometimes it’s nice to mingle with others who share similar goals to ourselves, and have access to people who have already achieved those goals. We are social creatures after all, and it’s refreshing to meet like-minded types (away from the naysayers).

What would be a really great idea is if several of the pros got together for an ultimate conference, whereby they each talk through their own methods. The biggest danger of the one-speaker seminars is that new initiates might think that there is only one right way of doing things. A bit of diversity of opinions (such as other industry conferences offer) would be optimum. It would also prevent on-selling (which I find a dodgy practice to say the least).

As to whether you go on to use that information… how many university educated people end not using the degree they got? Quite a lot. Does that mean we should damn universities? The buck stops with the individual, and you either put your knowledge into practice or you go back to you normal life and complain that it was a waste of money.

However – nowdays there is an abundance of info available in the library/bookshop/internet and any which way you still have to find your own way – so don’t feel like you HAVE to go to a seminar. Certainly don’t become a seminar groupie (spending all your time and money on various seminars/masterclasses without actually applying the knowledge).

Good luck

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

To clarify,

When making posts on this forum I only ever use one of two member profiles…

1. Steve McKnight, or

2. If I am doing admin work and need to be loggedin as ‘Admin’ when I see a post, I will answer it as Admin.

Comments made in this post were genuine. I don’t need to feel secure about myself by creating false testimonials.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi colbert1982
    I have never attended any of Steve’s seminars, although I am about to remedy that in a couple of weeks in Melbourne.
    I can tell you having gone to other seminars on property investment that it is not a waste of time. You may think it is a lot of money at first and I certainly did the first time I went, but what you learn is invaluable. I can tell you that education is costly, try doing a Uni degree now a day and see what they cost. If you are serious about property then you need a bit of education, anyone can buy a property and hold it for 10 years and make a bit of profit, but it is the other strategies that people like Steve teaches that will set you free from your day job.
    Steve would have absolutely no reason to make false statements or post stupid replies patting himself on the back just to get people to go to his seminars, what would be the point. These people are educators they do it not only for the money but for the enjoyment of helping other people to be financially free.
    If I had not won a couple of John Burleys books and then found Steve’s books, I would still be ignorant about true property investment. I now have 4 houses and 3 flats in the last 9 months thanks to people like Steve.
    Kerwyn.

Profile photo of ilearnerilearner
    @ilearner

colbert1982 ,

Agree with you. So many people who have vested interested on this site and try to influence people. I saw survey from another site saying 60% people thought seminars are scams. The web now becomes another kind of propaganda

@robbie-b

Amused, I am wondering, who are the ‘so many people’ you refer to who have a vested interest on this site?

Saying that all seminars are scams is something I would expect from less educated individuals. It comes down to the particular seminar being discussed. I agree, many seminars are scams, but I also believe many are fine. You have to weed out the trash from the treasure.

Seminars are just another education and / or sales technique. Focusing on sales, putting an item on ‘special’ is also a sales technique. I consider this more of a scam in most cases because it demonstrates how much lower the product can be sold for while the seller can still make a profit. Why didn’t they sell for cheaper before the special???

Looking into it, it might be because they are a business looking to make as much profit as they can or they may have obtained a better cost price for a bulk purchase or currency move in their favour.

What I am getting at, each individual seminar has to be looked at ‘individually’ before it can be determined that it is a scam or a genuine venture. I think a good example is The Investors Club <

obviously a scam!

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Yet another “seminars are scam” thread …[baaa]

I think that all seminars are a scam and all books are a scam and all teachers useless if they do not deliver to the person what he seeks. This of course being a totally subjective view.

So if I buy a Bentley and it does not fit in my garage it is a scam. Equally if I pay for a seminar and it flies over my head it is a scam. If I buy a book on prosperity yet I must cuddle and pet my victim mentality daily, the book is a rip off. If I pay for a course to teach me algebra that I already learned in primary school, the course is a scam.

I particularly detest comments that go on the line of how much the seminar presenter makes.

Since when is there an obligation from others to give us free information? or cheap?

I don’t have any of my properties available rent free or at half price. Do you?

http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

“What you want in your life occasionally shows up…
    what you must have… always does.”
    . . . . . Doug Firebaugh
    May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc

@robbie-b

Marc,

I am very interested in your opinion as to seminars that present themselves as providing the ‘secret to success’ or educational content and. when you get there, they just want to sell you property or some ridiculous ‘system’ that will ‘guarantee success’.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.