All Topics / Help Needed! / How to research the age of an IP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of braniebranie
    Participant
    @branie

Just in regards to depreciation, where can you find out when the house your looking at was built? I know the agent is meant to have this information but where can you confirm this information?

TIA
    Brett.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I would imagine that the local council would have these records. They usually have everything on file including the original development application for properties.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

A quick tip i use is to contact the power company and see when the power was connected to the property in question [happy3]

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of braniebranie
    Participant
    @branie

Top ideas both. Thanks again.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Lots of councils struggle with records going back past the early 90s.

In addition to redwing’s idea, sometimes it’s also possible to find a date on the electricity meter board. Some sparkies date them when they do they put them in.

I believe in some states, the water meters may be date stamped. This stamp would be the date of manufacture of the meter, but that date may be close to the installation.

Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

Western Power told me that I need to have an account with them for that house in order to get that info even if I’m the owner. I would need to get my tenants to ring western power and they can pass the info on to me.

But I also rang the council and they were very helpful and it took only 2 minutes to find out the construction date after answering a few questions.

jsandso

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Good work!!!

Good luck with it all.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

For an older property, if you look on the copy of the title you should be able to note the date of subdivision.

In most cases it is then reasonable to assume the property was built soon after.

This technique is handy for properties that are more than 20 years old.

BTW, if you are trying to date when electrical works were carried out, check the meter box as often there is some kind of sticker or notice of compliance where the tradesman as signed off and dated the report. This comes to mind as it was something I noticed the other day when doing a house inspection.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Steve, as you would know many blocks are not built on straight away so the Plan of Subdivision Date may not have relevance to the age of a dwelling. Usually the council rates dept will have details of the age of the dwelling or atleast the previous 50 years or so which is more than enough for any depreciation schedule.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I must’ve been lucky jsando and got the ‘helpful’ person at Western Power, or got her on a good day :)

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.