All Topics / Help Needed! / 100% tax advantage

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Hi i was looking at a particular investment that says its a tax advantage of 100% for five months. What does that mean?

k

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Dunno. What sort of investment was it?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Its a property trust. Does it mean the tax is already taken out of it before they pay it monthly etc. What do you think of property trusts and what are the risks involved. I have heard this company has got a good reputation and obviously i will do my homework first but i am curious as to what others think on property trusts.

k

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sorry Lei, I don’t know much about proeprty trusts!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by lei:

Hi i was looking at a particular investment that says its a tax advantage of 100% for five months. What does that mean?
    k

It means you won’t pay tax on the first 5 months income. This would be becuase there are tax deductions that you can claim against your income such as depreciation allowances

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    Property trusts are a good way to earn income off property without having to fork out a lot of money.

Generally you can get in for $10k and earn 7%-10% income. The good thing about this form of investment (as an income generator or cash holdiing place) is it is backed by real assets (unlike debentures for example).

I think if you’ve got a stack of cash laying around waiting for something better to come along a property trust isn’t such a bad place to put it.

I’ve only gone through listed property trusts however so I don’t know what the liquidity is like.

Surrey.

Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Hi and thanks for your input. I am as green as they get and so can you explain to me what you meant by debentures and liquidity. Theres a lot of lingo i dont understand and so am not quite ready to enter the game of investing. Thanks again for your help

k

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    By liquidity I mean how easily you can get your money back out. For example a bank transaction account linked to an EFTPOS type card is 100% liquid. At any time day or night you can get your money out and use it.

A house on the other hand will take at least a month or so in the best case scenario.

Shares listed on the stock exchange for a large property trust like Macquarie Office for example would probably take a working week to get your money and so on.

The concern with property trusts that are not listed is that they have a smaller market and it may take longer to sell your units (or shares) to get your money back out. Not a problem if you are using the funds to buy a house as that transaction takes months to complete.

Debentures are essentially shares in a loan made to a business (or businesses). A property trust often raises money to buy property by:
    1. Selling shares in the property which then return rent.
    and/or
    2. Selling debentures on which the trust will pay interest.

The property shares tend to be backed by first mortgage and so are generally more secure (if all else fails they sell the property and money is returned). Debentures on the other hand tend to be second or third in line for a payout (banks come first). As a result they usually pay a good dividend.

Debentures are often less liquid than shares in a property trust because they represent a loan and the trust is probably using your money for something so you have to sell your debentures to another investor or wait until the maturity date and the loan is paid out. Shares represent a chunk of the actual business so are generally easier to sell and trade.

NOTE: this info is reduced to an essential level, different shares and debenture arangements are available.

Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Thanks surrey. The company has open investments which is what i was looking at.They have say 12 propertys in retail 16 in industrial etc. What did you mean by listed property trusts.

k

Profile photo of leilei
    @lei

Thanks for all your input. I have asked the company about when i can get my money out. Turns out only once a year and that is at the end of the year also one of the companies the investors cant take thier money out now because thier putting it on the share market.

k

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

‘Listed’ simply means that the property trust is available for trade through a stock exchange and usually means the investmenet is more liquid. This just means there are usually more buyers and sellers willing to trade at any given point in time.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.