All Topics / Value Adding / bedrooms 2 into 3

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of veronicabridgesveronicabridges
    @veronicabridges

I am looking at a 2 bedroom property where it may be possible to create a 3rd bedroom. Can anyone give me a rough idea on the cost of erecting walls etc. to convert another living area into a bedroom? I’d appreciate your experience,cheers.[blush2]

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

My parents did this a little while ago. My Dad did the framework himself, which is fairly easy, so all up it cost about $460. This included the wood for the frame, the plasterer and the plasterboard. The wall was about 3m long (10ft) and a standard 2.4m high (8ft).

Profile photo of buzzwellsbuzzwells
    Participant
    @buzzwells

It depends on the size of the wall/job and exactly what you want. Sometimes further adjustments are required. Old houses may have large mural cornices on the ceilings that can’t be replicated if you suddenly put a wall up and divide the room. You may need to then re-line the ceiling.

Tips: If you can’t do most of it yourself, then I would look for a carpenter as it may be cheaper than a builder.

Also seek trade prices from suppliers if you are going to do the ordering yourself (don’t be afraid to ask suppliers for trade prices).

If you want power/data points/switches in the new wall then you need a sparky (electrician). That will add extra cost.

It really depends on the size of the wall you want and what, if any, other adjustments are required that will determine the costs.

I would get atleast 3 quotes from licenced tradesman as the starting point.

Learn, Love, Strive. Make a difference!

Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

It should not cost more than say $3k-$5k. But the impact on the price of the IP could be close to $20k. Well worth the effort!

Good luck
    JJ

Profile photo of 50mill50mill
    Participant
    @50mill

What if you have a 1 bedrm unit with a space for 2 cars right next to the building?..
    Im wondering what complications there are if you would turn one of the carpark spaces into a 2nd bedroom!
    How would councils regulate in this instance?.

ADDING VALUE?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!![biggrin]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.