All Topics / General Property / Any hints on laying lino

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

I have finally settled my property in QLD after all the finance woes (one broker got sacked the other didn’t come into work on Monday – lucky I don’t take all this personally – long story).

Doing the soft makeover with painting, painting and more painting. Handyman going to be tiling with hubby but I can get hands on the lino but not a lino layer.

Has anyone attempted to lay lino and is there any handy hints you give me? The kitchen badly needs new lino to get away from the 70’s look.

Many thanks

Jenny1

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

There are some really good DIY home improvement books around that cover pretty much everything you could want to do from painting to lino to carpet to knocking down and putting up walls. Get one even just so you sort of know what sort of things will be involved when you hire someone else on.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Tip 1: Surface prep.
    If you are laying on concrete, ensure it is completely flat – fill any chips/ gaps/ irregularities. If it’s prone to damp, Bondcrete.
    On timber or particle board, make sure your cement sheeting is in good nick or replace it.

Tip 2: Lay lino.
    Cut it to shape first using either a paper template or a measuring tape – can be roughly pre-cut with a little left over – fold this up the wall then trim in place. Apply adhesive, roll out lino, remove any irregularities by rolling from the middle to the edges, trim if required and you’re done.

Oh, and if it’s just a change of look you’re after and the old lino is still ok, you could lay the new straight over the top to save time.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.