All Topics / Help Needed! / Whyalla SA Demographics – Internet Joke or Not

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

recently i took a trip to Whyalla in SA to look at the property market and to see what there property market offers, i was told by a few people about how the area had boomed but also how there are still some positive cashflow properties available, though after viewing the town and doing my own inspection, i did sign the contract for one property…

thought after further research, the town has infrastructure, local business, and some which are franchises.

my main concerns is, i only invest in residential property where there is a Mac Donalds and if there are at least 2 of the big 4 banks in that area, near by or in the vincity and for growth areas or cashflow

(dont ask me why about mac donalds, its another story)

though after doing further research, my reseach and talking to locals is, that the property market is being driven up by investors, there is no Mac Donalds there, but also there, are 2 of the big banks, but upon further searching of the area and its deomographics i came across this website..

http://www.whyallavet.com.au/whyallanews2030.html

this website might be a joke and all, but im seriously considering this information, as who would waste there time and money in making this site and history is showing a population decline..

your views please…?

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

I just read over http://www.whyalla.com history section and it says whyalla got to 33k population in 1970. There was a ship building slump and the town lost population down to about 25k today.

Whyalla was built on BHP works, primarily ship building. Initially for naval vessels and then commercial.

Looks like whyalla is in desperate need of some marketing to attract industry or indeed it will likely go down the poop shute.

Still the future isn’t written.

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Maybe the date of the article is a clue?

April 1st 2030

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

thanks for your comments, my concerns are still seroius about this town, i have an exit clause to fortiet the contract.. but, if people are making websites such as this.. there must be something either wrong with them, or it could be a serious future issue with the town.. and someone being out spoken and opionated..

i did note the date of the article, but property being a long term veiw.. and declining population..

is this town heavily at risk… ?

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

The article end with big bold blue lettering saying it is a work of fiction used to illustrate a possible outcome due to current policy and population trends.

Check out http://www.whyalla.com (connects to the city council web site) for more info about whyalla.

@still-in-school

back again guys…

ive decided that after some ABS (australian bureau of statistics) and further calling a few other real estate agents and people who know the area)

Whyalla prices are on the rise, but the prices are heavily being pushed up by investors, but also a few real estate agents, are suggesting to me.. it might not be a good idea to buy for long term growth and keeping..

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

@still-in-school

Thanks Surreyhughes19905,

have been reading as much information as possible, still my conclusions are getting stronger.. ive just found this article.. and the information isnt too promising..

http://www.whyallavet.com.au/whyallacity1.html

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

hi sis,
    why not try and track down the author of the website? Try calling one of those vet clinics that are advertising on there. They may be able to help.Track him/her down and you will get one side of the story.

It would be very interesting to talk to them and may help to sway your decisions either way. It is obviously tongue in cheek article but to take time to create the website and stories, they must be pretty passionate about their town!

[biggrin]

Profile photo of ellmre30982ellmre30982
    @ellmre30982

Hi SIS,
    If you are looking for really cheap residential property why not consider Iron Knob, another town abandoned by BHP, about 50km west of Whyalla. Probably no McDonald’s or any bank for that matter, but if you were looking to get away from the 21st century this might be the place to go! Perhaps you could market it as such.
    [blink] Only joking but then……
    Tom

Profile photo of CandyCandy
    Participant
    @candy

Hi
    ABS census data provides time series information which will allow you to see how things have changed.

The Whyalla local statistical region over the last 3 census (1991, 1996 and 2001)has experienced population decline…aproximately 16% over a 10 year period.

I hope this helps

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by Still in School:

though after doing further research, my research and talking to locals is, that the property market is being driven up by investors,

Sounds like a ‘cashflow property’ induced bubble SIS – who is going to be left holding the asset when the bubble deflates?

In larger, more stable and sustainable, areas there will be homebuyers entering the market. Give me the security of a sustainable area any day thanks.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of RedhavenRedhaven
    @redhaven

It’s 20 years ago now, but I remember my sister-in-law who lived in Adelaide complaining about the dangerous amount of lead in the dust out there…….?

Redhaven

Redhaven

Profile photo of gamaygamay
    Participant
    @gamay

Late last year I found a number of cf+ properties in Whyalla and even made a couple of offers 30% below asking price and both were accepted.

My decision however was not to invest in Whyalla at that stage.

Be particularly careful with semi’s, they have relatively high vacancy rate.

Regards

Gamay

@still-in-school

Thanks Guys,

i no longer have a contract for any property in Whyalla, though ive decided to go back to looking for growth properties, though im still a little skeptical on the many investors who bought cashflow properties in this area, some maybe successful, but others, i really do hope they did there due dilligence..

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi SIS maybe the answer is to build a McDonalds there, you could save the town and become a hero …

Regards Phil, don’t shoot me for that one mate!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.