All Topics / Help Needed! / Calculating CF +

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of majoh3majoh3
    @majoh3

Hello

My name is Michael and I was wondering whether someone more experienced than I could please help me with the below questions ?

I would like to know how to calculate whether a property is cf +. I have used Steves calculator provided as a guide and would like to know whether there are any more variables to take into consideration other than the ones mentioned ?

Using the calculator, on a $120,000 loan it seems I would have to be charging around $270 p/w for the investment to be cf +, taking into account the recommended 5% for repair and managemnt and the $1000 p.a. for rates + vacant weeks per anum. Is this right ? Am I allowing too much. This weekly rental seems unreasonable given the quality of dwelling the 120,000 could afford. ?

Does Steve have a book that details these sorts of number crunching issues ??

Thanks and Regards

Michael

M.Johnston

Profile photo of nathan210nathan210
    Participant
    @nathan210

welcome to the forum michael.

it all depends on a lot of variables when ‘crunching the numbers’.

what you need to take into account is what you would determine the estimated yearly costs for owning/managing any specific property are going to be, by investigating through various sources: R/estate agents, government, local rental markets etc. then you need to determine what would be a ‘realistic’ rent value for any specific property in a specific area, and calculate the difference.

if there is $ left over after all costs & income has been estimated, then the property MAY be CF+ (if it is rented out within your calculations and guidelines it may be CF+, but it WONT be CF+ if it is NOT rented out because the rent value you have set is too un realistic).

remember: CF+ properties are rarely bought, they are created through finding a ‘problem’ and providing a ‘solution’.

you just need to look outside the square.

It is only your thoughts that create your future – Be careful what you think!

Profile photo of MuktaMukta
    @mukta

Hello Michael,

I know how confusing this all is so if you click on shop online on the left of your screen, Steve has available a program called ‘Investment Detective” which calculates all this for you.
    I hope this has helped.
    Kind Regards Paula

John and Paula

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

“OR”

click on the link below my post and check out Jaffasofts calculators.

[specool]

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

like redwing, i would also recommend the jaffasoft website. very useful.

eric

Profile photo of colliecollie
    Participant
    @collie

I’ll back up the Jaffasoft recommendation it is very hepful also another you can try is http://www.yourmortgage.com.au go to calculators and then to link, can I afford an investment property.
    Goodluck.

collie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.