All Topics / Help Needed! / Advise on gas heater!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of microwavemicrowave
    @microwave

Hi all,

We recently purchased a house ( Private Sale ) and have not settled yet. The agent rang up the other day and said that the Vendors got a professional to check the heater and the professional told them that the heater was dangerous to use as it has got a leak in the tap? To fix this they said that it will cost them $600. They don’t want to pay $600 as the agent
    said they didn’t have to tell us and they could’ve of let us continue using the heater as it was still working. The heater is now disconnected? What are my rights? Can I get them to pay for it?

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

It is my understanding that the owner/agent has a duty to disclose any know defects at the time of sale. Since this was not known at the time of the sale (which they could conceivably argue) is this not a case of buyer beware?

Profile photo of microwavemicrowave
    @microwave

Hi Badgers_R_Us,

I hope you are wrong for my sake :-)
    But when I purchased the house it was with a functional gas heater! Now when I get the house it is going to be without a gas heater. Common sense tells me that the Vendors should have to pay to fix it. Or at least offer some sort of compensation?

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

The argument you will end up having is if the heater was defective at the time of sale. One could argue that the onus was on you to ensure the property was inspected and they were not aware of this defect at the time of sale.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Hi microwave.
    This are my thoughts: I would call it providence that they told you and you did not blow the house up this winter.
    Ergo….

My ‘revenge’ would be to go to Bing Lee and buy the best and most expensive gas heater you can find and call it your blessing for 2005.

I hope you enjoy your (now) safe new house.

http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

“What you want in your life occasionally shows up…
    what you must have… always does.”
    . . . . . Doug Firebaugh
    May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of annemlanneml
    Participant
    @anneml

If you really want to buy the property I would go for the option suggested by 1Winner. You could also thank the vendors for a lesson learnt for future due diligence.

If you no longer want to purchase the property is this reason enough not to settle?

Anne.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.