All Topics / Help Needed! / To sell or not to sell…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of veronicabridgesveronicabridges
    @veronicabridges

Back before I knew what I was doing I bought an IP and negative geared it. Bought it cheap but in a good area, did it up, rented it out. Now that I am in search of cashflow properties I am thinking about putting it on the market so that our money is not tied up in this bad investment. I have found a couple of properties that I would like to put an offer in for, but I dont think I can come up with the finance because of our existing borrowings (our home and our IP). What do you suggest?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Why do you think this property is bad? Just because it is negatively geared?

Selling will cost money – agents fees, CGT, legals, and then more fees on the property you buy to replace the one you just sold.

Has this property gone up in value? Do you think there are prospects for it to go up in the future? If so, it may not be such a bad investment.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Veronica,

Ditto Terry’s comments. If cashflow is an issue have you considered some/all of the following?

1) Convert your loan to I/O. This will save some of the outgoings.

2) Check you current rent to ensure it is at market rate. Some PMs and/or owners lose touch with what the rest of the market is doing and this could be costing you money.

3) Is it possible to add value to the property while at the same time increasing the rent even further. For example some tenants are happy to pay rent + for items such as airconditioning and security. new carpets maybe, the list is endless and your individual circumstance will determine what can and can’t be done.

4) You haven’t indicated the age of the property but it may be possible to depreciate all/or parts of the property.

5) Have you considered the advantages of a ITWV that can assist with your pay period cashflow?

Equity is equally as important to your investment journey – while this property may be sucking some cash from you it may be an active contributor if it provides you with additional equity enabling other investments.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of veronicabridgesveronicabridges
    @veronicabridges

Thanks guys, my reason for considering pulling out was because I was going to sell and use any remaining profit to fund deposits on cf+ properties. I dont see house prices increasing in the area (sth of Adelaide), and believe I have increased the rent to market maximum. For our last rent increase we added a carport, and before that- a security door and extended fence.The current tenant is leaving in end of June, and if we can’t relet for a while we cant sustain our existing financial position ( we are already paying IO ).[blink]

Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Some Tough decisions to be made here.

Perhaps the following story from my similar situation will help.

We were in the same boat as this mid last year. We had three investments that were neg geared.

We were out of cash. Had about $1000 left of holding costs, about 2 months worth, and after that? could see danger up ahead.

1 unit not renting well, daggy, underperforming, would be hard to sell.
    1 house renting great, but neg geared, but growing in rent, and cap growth nicely.
    1 margin loan share portfolio doing well but costing us too much per month.

Add to that new baby, 1 income, Hecs debt, car loan.

After some tough soul searching, lots of talk with advisors, paper scenarios, loss of sleep:

We sold the shares and made some gains there.
    This stopped the bleeding a bit.

Finished paying off the car – and finished paying off Hecs, this stopped bleeding even more.

Then to stop the bleeding even MORE – we decided to sell the underperforming unit. (Going backwards!)

We used some money from shares to do up the unit and have now sold it.
    (still in that process of sale – nearly finished)

Will take most (70%) of the money and put it to our homeloan and give us more equity and accelerated repayments – but we are spending a bit too!
    Got to have some reward for being skint and stressed for ages!

I guess the moral of the story is:
    Shoot the dogs!
    Adjust your life style if necessary.

If it is Underperforming – and hurting you too much – then you could consider selling.

If it is going well, and you see potential for gain, you could consider adjusting other areas of your life to make up for it.

It’s a risk I guess. We decided to keep one and sell the others.
    Once that’s finalised, we’ll go again to the market – older, wiser, and more savvy!

I hope the story of what WE did helps you?

Cheers,
    ac

Profile photo of newstartnewstart
    Participant
    @newstart

My situation is totally different. We have paid off our PPOR, thinking of buying and moving into a new PPOR.
    1. Shoud we sell our current PPOR to pay for our new PPOR given our current PPOR has doubled up in price and we don’t have to pay CGT. However, that means we’ll start everything from the begining before be able to afford our first IP in the future.
    2. Should we use the equity in this current PPOR to say down 20-30% for our new PPOR. Then we use our current PPOR as IP?
    Your thoughts on the pros and cons of this situation.

NewStart

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Newstart,

Buying and selling a PPOR is a little different to buuying and selling IPs – primarily because the tax issues and purposes of the purchase are different.

I would counsel someone against taking on ‘large’ (relative to your circumstanes) PPOR debt as it is all paid for with after tax dollars.

In your circumstances sell your current PPOR (no CGT), buy a new PPOR without overstretching yourself (buy what you need rather than trying to keep up with the neighbours) and if the situation provides itself leverage off the equity to buy investment properties that are consistent with your goals.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

@veronicabridges

Thanks ac, yes we are in a similar boat- going down to one wage soon (starting family soon) and not having much cash stored to cover any vacancies in IP. Thanks for your insights, been doing a bit of soulsearching myself and have decided to get the IP valued- to see if it’s worth selling after costs and CG tax. Does anyone know how I calculate how much CG tax I’ll be up for? We bought the property for $170000 used $20000 to renovate, expecting between $205-210000 for valuation; does the CG go on what we bought IP for or price after renos? Thanks all.[blush2]

Profile photo of MollyMMollyM
    @mollym

Any capital improvements made to the property (as opposed to repairs) will be added on to the purchase price, as will any stamp duty, legal fees etc incurred when purchasing the property. This will make your cost base.

Similarily, any agents commission, legal costs etc will be taken away from the selling price. So if you purchased your property for 170000 + say 5000 for purchasing costs + the capital improvements, youll have a cost base of $195000.

If you sell the property for $205000 less say $5000 again for selling costs, youll have a capital gain of $5000. ($200000-$195000) Assuming that you have owned the property for more than 12 months, you will get a 50% concession. That makes it $2500. This is then added to your taxable income. So if you are on the top marginal rate you will pay $1200 in capital gains. ($2500 x .48) Hope that helps!

@veronicabridges

[biggrin]Thanks MollyM- very helpful info! I think deciding to sell will help me get started with some intelligent investing instead of holding me back. Property Investing here I come…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.