All Topics / General Property / Bird dogging

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of francislfrancisl
    @francisl

Dear all,

I come across the term “Bird Dogging” in multiple places in Steve’s books.
    – What does it do?
    – What are the responsibilities?
    – How can I be one?
    – Do I need to have a investment business?

Regards,
    Francis

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

1. Finds property for people for a fee.
    2. There aren’t really, if they dont find property that their clients want, they’re responsible for not getting their fee.
    3. Talk to other birddogs on this forum and search this forum for similar subjects. If you can find properties that are cash flow+, or ripe for development etc. and you’ve got people willing to take these properties for a fee, hey presto! you’re in business.
    4. No

Obviously this is a quick gloss over of what it’s all about, but if you’re that interested about it, it won’t be that hard to track down the info you’ll need to get started.

Hope this helps…G7

Profile photo of scotty3scotty3
    @scotty3

Hi Francisl
    Unlike G7 I believe you need to be licensed as a buyer’s agent to bird dog in australia. I looked into it and became licensed for that reason.
    Check other posts on the subject – there’s plenty of them.
    Cheers,
    scotty3

Profile photo of francislfrancisl
    @francisl

Dear Scotty3,

What are the criteria for registration? Where to register?

Regards,
    Francis

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Unlike Scotty3 I dont beleive you need to be liscensed as a buyers agent to bird dog in Australia. Obviously you can get licensed like Scotty did, but I’m pretty sure that it’s not a requirement.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Scotty3 said:

“Unlike G7 I believe you need to be licensed as a buyer’s agent to bird dog in australia.”

G7 said:

” Unlike Scotty3 I dont beleive you need to be liscensed as a buyers agent to bird dog in Australia.”

Can anyone clarify? (perhaps by providing specific requirements/legislation/citing source?

kay henry

Profile photo of scotty3scotty3
    @scotty3

I have posted this before but being an inexperienced forum user, I don’t know how to direct you to it, so I’ll post again the following:
    This is the link to the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 (current legislation).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol%5fact/psabaa2002385/s3.html#agent

My interpretation of this (and that of the OFT, solicitors I have enquired of, other existing buyer’s agents and the tax office) is that if you do bird dogging for reward, especially more than once, you are ‘conducting a business’. As such you are acting as an agent. If your activities include: (quoted from the Act)

(b) for inducing or attempting to induce or negotiating with a view to inducing any person to enter into, or to make or accept an offer to enter into, a real estate transaction or a contract for a real estate transaction, or
    (c) for the introduction, or arranging for the introduction, of a prospective purchaser, lessee or licensee of land to another licensed agent or to the owner, or the agent of the owner, of land…

you definitely need a licence. I would far rather be safe than sorry! I know that the OFT is investigating a lot of property sourcing firms at present and that there is pressure from the industry to ‘clean it up’. I have heard of a number of practices being shut down and heavily fined for unlicensed activity.

It is up to you as to whether you interpret this as I have. Just be sure that what you do can be easily justified to the authorities should you be required to do so.

To answer your other question, licencing courses can be done through TAFE or REI. Licenses are then issued by the OFT.

Hope this helps clarification.
    Scotty3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.