Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of KiasuKiasu
    @kiasu

Has anyone ever bought either residential or commercial property in Malaysia. According to the official Malaysian website I should be able to buy max 2 properties min purchage price of RM250000 which is less then $100,000 and looking at some realestate sites some good property can be bought for this.

Regards
    Rudy

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Buying real estate in Malaysia can be difficult for foreigners. You basically need a Malaysian to vouch for you ( partnership? ). Know any Malaysians?

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of Scarecrow7Scarecrow7
    @scarecrow7

Check out link for FIC guidelines http://www.colliers.com.my/news/new_fic.htm, but not sure if this is the latest.

Personally I haven’t bought there, but came close once and have studied the market there the last 2 years. Attractive proposition when the A$ is strong. Rental yields are mediocre for residential property and the real estate industry is nowhere as advanced as Australia’s. An opportunity there in itself!

Scarecrow7
    “In times of crisis, both danger and opportunity are present”

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

in a nutshell

D O N ‘ T !!!!

No protection for landlords at all.

Rental yeilds crap for that kind of house…..

Maintenance ??? what in the world is that ?????

I live in Singapore, and I can tell you I have yet to see much in the way of nice houses here….. Fit & Finish is terrible……..

Be forewarned…..

Profile photo of MarvinMarvin
    Participant
    @marvin

If anyone is interested… I’ve got a Malaysian citizenship. And I’m looking for a mentor, it could be beneficial to both parties… *grin*

Profile photo of AdamWilliamsAdamWilliams
    Participant
    @adamwilliams

Pelican,
    Can’t help but think you may have been looking at the wrong developments, in any town anywhere in the world there are cowboys and there are non cowboys, there is good opportunity in Malaysia and if they do de peg the ringgit and allow foreign lending those opportunities are going to expand rapidly, as I have read in another post, discernment is the key, Malaysia does have cowboys but it also has professionals.

Profile photo of Lily KLily K
    @lily-k

I am malaysian but I have been staying in australia for 8 years now, So have not been followed the property news in malaysia for long time. Which state in malaysia you plan to invest? I am interested to invest in malaysia if there is any opportunity.

[email protected]

Profile photo of MarvinMarvin
    Participant
    @marvin

Update. Malaysia is trying to get into the ‘free trade economy’ <— I’m not very sure what you call it.

Think how China doesn’t have a proper currency exchange with Australia… well Malaysia is thinking of doing that because they believe their currency is 20% under value. If they succeed, the Ringgit, is expected to rise.

I’ll try and find a reference to where I heard this from and post it up. Otherwise, take what I just wrote as a rumour and find out more if you really are interested.

@pelican
    Originally posted by AdamWilliams:

Pelican,
    Can’t help but think you may have been looking at the wrong developments, in any town anywhere in the world there are cowboys and there are non cowboys, there is good opportunity in Malaysia and if they do de peg the ringgit and allow foreign lending those opportunities are going to expand rapidly, as I have read in another post, discernment is the key, Malaysia does have cowboys but it also has professionals.

Adam,

Just how much do you actually know about Malaysia ?? Do you see the news regularly talking about deadbeat tenants etc ?? have you driven up the coast and seen all the Development everywhere ? Have you seen the ads in the Malaysian papers selling houses like made, because, wait for it, there is just TOO MUCH SUPPLY….. ????

I think you will see from my original posting, I live in Singapore, so, I see and hear the above all the time….. I drive in and around Malaysia ALL THE TIME……

I’m by no means an expert on Malaysia, but if you want to jump into the market wildly thinking there are great returns you must be blind…..

And, please don’t post asking for help here when you tenant disappears !!! having trashed the place…… it happens a bit……

There are NO SECRETS to Investing… Everything is public knowledge….

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I lived in Malaysia for 2.5 years.

Not long enough to know how the real estate market works (except as a tenant) Seemed to me that REAs found tenants and owners managed from there.

I did live there long enough to know that standards of work, govt building codes and inspections and consumer protection are not what we are used to. I also found that many folk see foreigners as wealthy and fair game.

I would have to research and be convinced of a very good upside before I would consider investing there.

A wonderful place to live tho and I miss many things dearly!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hey Pelican!
    I thought you were on your way home this year.
    What are you still doing up there?

@pelican

Gudday KP !! Long time no see / hear !!

It’s on the cards… at this stage, end Nov, once kids finish the school year in SG……

Cheers

Scott

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.