All Topics / Help Needed! / Help with picking a new financial advisor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of WilkoWilko
    @wilko

Hi All

I currently own 1 investment property in bundaberg that has substantial equity. However I think i am in that spot where many investors find themselves. ie The stagnant spot after first Inv prop.
    Can anyone recommend a good advisor in Brisbane that i could talk to? I need to start the ball rolling again with investments. My wife and i are on good salaries and as i said have good growth in our PPR and inv property.
    Look forward to your thoughts!

Thx

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Wilko

I would suggest that you stay with property but then I’m biased :-)

If you do go down the track of using a licenced Financial Advisor I’d suggest that you steer away from those that offer their services free. This is because they then take all the sales commissions and you can never be sure if their recommendations were unbiased, i.e. did they make those recommendations just because a particualar company pays them a larger commission.

You will find advisors who charge for their time and rebate all commissions. They may look expensive but I’d feel more comfortable this this type of Advisor’s advice.

Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Wilko
    It may not be a financial advisor that you are after, even though you need financial advice.

Most financial advisors cannot advise on proeprty as part of their license and most don’t own property.

They tend to work for organisations owned by banks or funds and in general do not give you the “full picture.”

Having said that I have come across a few (very few) financial advisors who do give unbiased advice. These are in Melbourne, but hopefully someone will give you a name in Brisbane

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

the term ‘investments’ is simply huge – maybe you can define it a tad, you know, somewhere between Number Plates and French Clocks :-)

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of Shackles OffShackles Off
    @shackles-off

Hello,
    We are in the same boat as Wilko , I am sceptical about using financial advisors for the exact reasons mentioned above. Where is the best place to go for the sort of advice that Wilko and I’m sure a few others are looking for. Is this part of the service with the likes of Metropole (I see you posted above Michael)or Hunter House Hunters.
    Where do you get advice on how to put together a balanced portfolio of properties when starting out……….Sorry I wasnt much help to you Wilko but I too am curious on this one ?
    Cheers
    Shackles

Greg
    If you’ve got nothing to say , say nothing.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by brahms:

somewhere between Number Plates and French Clocks :-)

Well that counts shares and property out – neither fit in the alphabetical range permitted.

As others have said most FA/FP have an aversion to property.

Assuming you have a preference to stay in property then a basic plan would be use the equity available to create LOCs and then use these funds to secure additional property that suits your preferred ‘retirement’ strategy and that is within your budget constraints.

Structure all investment loans as interest only while you have non-deductible debt and then investigate options as non-deductible debt is paid out.

Another option would be to go and see someone at http://www.navrainvest.com.au or http://www.navra.com.au they do have a Brisbane office.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958
    Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by “Shackles Off”:

Hello,
    We are in the same boat as Wilko , Is this part of the service with the likes of Metropole (I see you posted above Michael)or Hunter House Hunters.
    Cheers
    Shackles

Greg
    If you’ve got nothing to say , say nothing.

Yes Greg – that is definatley part of the work my team does. but I want to make it clear we are not financial advisors. The team are licensed estate agents, but all have long strong histories of real estate and substantial real estate investments themselves – not just theorists.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Want a geat advisor? http://www.pdb.com.au and ask for Brenton, smart boy. I am a FP, but he does my para-planning. Knows his stuff.

We are all made from Stars.

@derek
    Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Michael It is so good to hear my thoughts regarding fin advisors coming from someone else. I am qualified, but refuse to link my services to an institution which claims independence, sells only their products and never advises to buy direct property. A managed fund with 5% property is as close as they go. Please……save us from those smiling insurance salesmen with a new name.

I, like you,do not offer any services here as a financial advisor, but I list my Dip Fin Services(FP), so as to be clear to others I am somewhat knowledgable in the field. My services as a buyers agent is to supply information that each client can make their own decisions on.

Telling the facts and not the percieved facts is somewhat dangerous, but I’d rather loose some clients than mislead them as to where I am coming from.

DD

PS146 Certified Financial Planner and Buyers Agent
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of WilkoWilko
    @wilko

Thanks Derek

Those figures are frightening!! According to the artice, accountants are the only ones worth their money!

The question Derek, would an accountant being able to help me in regards to my own situation? I am never to sure how much an accountant can help in my situation. i only seem to use mine at tax time.

@derek

Hi Wilko,

I actually wonder whether or not FPs/FAs are of value to people who possess a financial awareness within themselves.

My personal experiences were less than satisfactory and I would fit into the decidely unhappy category – the last FA/FP I spoke to tried to dissuade me from property while at the same time encouraging me to put my hard earned into extra super and/or a managed fund he had specifically selected for me (yeh right). Needless to say we are by far and away much further ahead now through property than the path he was trying to steer us down.

By way of personal example I have a plan that focusses on property as the core of my investments.

I manage my cash carefully and know what latitude we have to invest with. I also keep a track on asset values and define a 12 month plan for the family (they are involved too) which is consistent with our long term goal/s.

A careful budget and 6 monthly reviews keep us on track while still giving capacity to kick our heels up from time to time.

Running parallel with our residential property are some expansions into a commercial development, a share fund and some drect shares. Nevertheless property is still the core of our investment strategy.

Given we don’t know what your investment preferences are it is a little hard to comment on whether or not a FP/FA can do what it is you want.

For example if you are focussed on property as your investment vehicle I am sure that you could find someone that could assist in this regard (it is something we do all the time).

However if you wanted to branch out into shares etc then the counsel of a broker or suitably qualified person would be to your advantage.

Bear in mind that, as far as I know, run of the mill accountants are not necessarily qualified to give finacial advice as such. It is an outcome of government legislation. Sure they can help you manage you tax affairs, assets and cashflow but I am not so sure about giving FA.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of KevyKevy
    @kevy

Wilko, I have a similiar problem ie stagnant after Inv Property 1 but I have a FA. His advice is to keep paying the loan but I want to go buy the next 1. The FA can bring me deals and help with finance but I need help with strategy and I’m not getting it – no imagination, more like a real estate agent / bank. I’m getting frustrated as I read about all these people building there portfolios with far less and I keep getting you have the deposit but serviceability is an issue. I have $200k in equity and earn $78k. Do other people have a hard time convincing the bank you can service the loan or is it because you are buying +ve cash flow properities?

Profile photo of Brady5Brady5
    Participant
    @brady5

Wilko,

Warren Buffet has many great sayings, but the one I love best is how he describes the average man (like you and I with our approach to investing in a :balanced portfolio of shares:) compared to the people like himself. He says:

Ordinary people dabble in shares by driving to Wall Street in their motor cars, and blindly hand their hard earned cash over to a stranger on the floor, who then takes the SUBWAY home!!

In my experience, unless people are prepared to GAURANTEE results ( which no F/A s will ), you cant and shouldnt rely upon them for your financial security. None of the supposed experts,
    and there were plenty around, advised the ordinary person the 87 crash was imminent.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.
    Brady5

@derek
    Originally posted by Kevy:

His advice is to keep paying the loan but I want to go buy the next 1.

I keep getting you have the deposit but serviceability is an issue. I have $200k in equity and earn $78k.

Hi Kevy,

It sounds as if your FA has chosen to direct you into a very safe investment strategy – is this because he/she doesn’t know of your frustrations and/or intentions or is it that his/her licensing requirements restrict them from advising a riskier approach? Note – I am not advocating a foolhardy approach but a measured more strategic approach.

In the main – one IP, by itself, is generally not going to provide most people with sufficient needs in their post working life, irrespective of a cashflow or growth focus.

As for the I have a deposit but not enough serviceability message – I would suggest that you get a second opinion as there are a whole range of financial products for most situations which enable people to get a loan.

Hope this helps

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.