All Topics / Help Needed! / how much influence can my neighbour have on my hse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bacchubacchu
    Participant
    @bacchu

While constructing a house i have been told that my house plan would be given to neighbours to comment upon….How much influence do they have…can they complain that my hse is going to obstruct their view ?

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    This link will help (assuming you are in Victoria):

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dse/nrenpl.nsf/646e9b4bba1afb2bca256c420053b5ce/d5546b02a31a92c24a256dea002c9de3/$FILE/Planning%20-%20A%20Short%20Guide.pdf

If you aren’t in Vic then do a search on the sort of stuff in the guide [biggrin]

In Vic a single dwelling on a single lot usually doesn’t need a planning permit and so usually doesn’t get advertised.

It still may not get advertised even if you do need a planning permit. Even if it is advertised the neighbours have to get off their butt and have a look and put some effort into objecting.

The main problems you may face are when you are developing in a heritage area or sensitive environment (like sand dunes).

Surrey.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

No, I don’t think they can complain just because you block their view, though you’ll probably have to work out shadow lines. But they are likely to get pretty bitter and twisted, so everything about the application will be scrutinised. Most councils canvass people in properties immediately impacted upon by a development and get their feedback. This feedback is evaluated and the council makes a call. If there is no resolution, I guess you’re off to the Land and Environment Court.
    The above is just based on my personal experience.
    A neighbour next to one of my rental properties is doing a pretty big reno. He tracked me down a month ago and dropped around with the plans. I had a few objections and we talked through them to get a satisfactory resolution. If he’d just submitted the plans to council without telling me I would have been annoyed and probably less open to negotiation.
    If you’re going to live in the place, you want to get on with your neighbours. Even if you’re not living there, the last thing you want is a mad neighbour during a contruction project.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

If you are in vic and it is a single dwelling and you dont need a planning permit the only time neighbours will be able to comment is you go outside the vic building regs. Such as to close to front to high etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.