All Topics / General Property / 3 bedrooms to 4?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of greenjoygreenjoy
    @greenjoy

HI,
    I was wondering if anyone out there had the experience of turning a 3 bedroom house into four by making the garage into another bedroom?
    We are considering doing this but are not sure if it will increase the rent much or not.
    We can easily build a car port to make up for the loss of garage…
    Has anyone done this and has it worked out?
    Your feedback would be very helpful.
    THanks heaps,
    investing greenies

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

Maybe this recent thread will be a start
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16405

I know I can, I know I can

Visit me on my IP Journey blog http://www.ipjourney.blogspot.com

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

We plan to do the same, but turn the enclosed verandah entry to a queenslander into a fourth bedroom and move the front entry. Easy job and the rent for 4 bedrooms is more than for 3 bedrooms. I convinced myself by doing a search in our suburb through realestate.com.au for 3 bedroom rentals and then 4 bedroom rentals. Not many 4 bedroom houses available and rent seems to be at least $10 more. Because we can do this with very little expense, we plan to do it when our present tenants move on. If they decide to stay on when the lease is up very soon, we will possibly do the work while they are there and reduce the rent while it is happening to compensate for the inconvenience.

In your case, you would have the expense of building alternative car accommodation and we have found that lock up car accommodation is very important for some people, not for others.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

I am in the market for a farm in the Camden/Cobbity area for myself, and have come across several big houses that were initialy built with a nice garage, suburbia style, but had since being converted into another room, some become bedroom others music room or play room for kids, with the addition of a carpet, eliminating the roller door and building a ceiling. One did not even have a window. With sheds and more sheds galore in farm houses, the carport was not an issue.
    One of my IP was a 3 bedroom converted to four by building the bedroom on the rear veranda. It recieves always more rent than the other 3 bedroom proeprty in the area and it seems tenants have a relative in the forth bedroom that helps them with the higher rent. The property had a bathroom with separate toilet and I added a toilet in the bathroom so that now it is virtualy a “four bedroom two toilet” house.

……….– Doug Firebaugh

May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc…http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.