All Topics / General Property / reonvating floorboards and hotplates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of greenjoygreenjoy
    @greenjoy

HI,
    This is a question about floorboards…is it better to go for a full gloss or satin? Does it make any difference?
    Your advice would be appreciated!!

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

I think it is a matter of choice as to whether you go for gloss or satin when doing your floor. After taking out old carpet, ex and I did two older houses with gloss which look really good. A third already had floorboards, with the lounge and two bedrooms done in gloss, the third bedroom in satin. The gloss looks better I think. There doesn’t seem to be any difference in wear and tear but tenants are moving out of one of them in a week so it will be good to check, having been done for nearly 2 years.

Anna

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Personal preference aside, gloss will become satin with usage but only in the areas that have more transit so it will show wear more than satin.
    So for me it is satin without a doubt.

By the way if you plan to do the job yourself, (only assuming), including hiring the machine and sand the floor…reconsider. The difference between what you will do and what a professional does is big. The difference between the expense of hiring, buying the products, and clean up the mess and what you pay a professional if you shop around, is not that big. The damage you can do and will do to the floor is irreparable. I have seen properties where the owner told me with pride “We have done it ourselves” and I had to bait my tongue to stop me from pointing out the multiple dings, dig-in and uneven boards their untrained hand had done with the hired sanding machine. If a floor sander did a job like that to my property I take him to court.
    Just my thoughts.

……….– Doug Firebaugh

May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc…http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

IMO go the full gloss and keep a bit extra for a freshen up when if it is time to sell. The finish is far superior. Looks much more professional.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I feel that scratches show up more in full gloss.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Take Marc’s advice about not doing the job yourself. I did it once 15 years ago and saved bugger-all. It took me ages, too – especially the edges. The finished floor looked okay, but I could definitely see where the machine got the better of me – that big belt sander takes some wrangling. A mate of mine was doing the floors in his family holiday house some years ago. If anyone shouldn’t do any DIY jobs it’s him. He had no idea how powerful those sanders were. Maybe they’re easier to use these days? He put the coarse paper on it, went to the far corner of the room, started the thing up, lowered it onto the floor, and away it went. It took off across the room, through the fibro wall and into the side of his car parked just outside. I saw the photos (taken for insurance purposes), but I really wish I’d been there. I also wish I’d read what he put on his car insurance claim form.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

We paid $800 to do three rooms in satin, water based finish.

Our neighbour saved a bit by doing his himself.

After seeing the two finishes I don’t think this is an area where I would be trying to save money.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don
    Take Marc’s advice about not doing the job yourself. I did it once 15 years ago and saved bugger-all. It took me ages, too – especially the edges. The finished floor looked okay, but I could definitely see where the machine got the better of me – that big belt sander takes some wrangling

Sure if you are only going to do one house. However, if you have mulitiple properties or intend to buy multiples it is a skill well worth the learning.
    The equipement hire is supercheap these days and yuo can find the poly finishes on sale if you look around.
    A couple could do a house in two days easy after a bit of practice. One day for punching a prep and the next for applying the finish. Maybe even a day if yo are keen. (Second and third coats next morning – so maybe two)
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

not planning to rent this property I hope? just had tenants reckon wreck my floors.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.