All Topics / General Property / New Vic Owner Builder Laws

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,
    I am about to build a subdivision as an owner builder. However the laws are about to change from June 05. I guess I should have known but I didn’t. The plans/permits are almost finalised but not quite.
    Does anyone know where I can find some real information on the changes?
    The building Commission site says they have an “Application Kit” for owner builders, but it’s not available yet….
    Thanks
    Sue [blush2]

I should have put this under “Help Needed”….Wasn’t there a Developers Forum? or am I going completely mad?

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

how do you build a subdivision ? Basically if you want to do more than 1 dwelling every 3 years you need to be registered. Why dont you phone them and ask any questions you may have.

cheers

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Building Surveyor,
    Sorry, I mean’t I am subdividing a block and building a unit on the new subdivided vacant land.
    I would phone them, but I prefer to see this sort of information in writing. As I find when changes happen in the building industry, you tend to get a different story from different people.

Cheers,

Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Sue

The system that is in place for owner builders is all up side down . Nobody knows whats going on . Just use a building surveyor that will sign you up as a owner builder. Every project use a different one . Its to hard to trace it back.Change names a long the way by de pole. Get a builder to say its him doing the job , pay him a couple of thousand for his trouble then send paper work to surveyer saying that the builder isnt doing the job any more and your takeing the job on your self.

Basically work the system because the system is a load of crock and just needs to be manipulated.
    There is way to much un employed over educated people that create more jobs by introducing more politics into everthing and more there is the more confusing it is for everone.
    The more confusing it is the less people care if a shifty is being pulled. You will be able to owner build it just use the system against the system.

Cheers Rick being a step a head of the system leads to success [drummer]

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Unless you change your name whith each job then rick unfortunatly you will not be able to do this. A site specific certificate of consent issued by the building commision will be required for each building application, regardless of who you get to issue the permit, eventually you will have to do a course to get this certificate. Only special cases will be granted where more than one permit each 3 years for a different address. As a building Surveyor and inspector I have to deal with many Owner builders that dont know what they are doing, they usually have a dodgy registered or unregistered builder helping them out, but not gauranteeing the work. The crap I see out on site that i am expected to approve gives me many headaches. On the same token some owner builders do a better job than the registered builders who try to save every cent. I suggest you spread your properties throuout the family as the may help get around the system. Good luck with your bucking the system, I will remember to double check any applications with your name ( just kiddin)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.