All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Selling Units back to Hybrid Discretionary Trust

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of apapworthapapworth
    Participant
    @apapworth

Hi All,

Can anyone direct me as to the possiblity, pros and conns of an individual selling back units (same price as purchased for) to help pay back interest and/or principle on a loan borrowed to originally purchase the units in the HDT?

Thanks,

Adam

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi Adam

do you mean the income units that were issued to enable deductablity of interest at an individual unit holder level?

If yes, then you have the HDT redeem when you are +ve geard to allow the trustee to redirect the income to a beneficiary with the lowest marginal tax rate otherwise why redeem them as you lose your interest deductibility? Does this make sense?

Regards
    Tony

Profile photo of apapworthapapworth
    Participant
    @apapworth

Hi Tonny

Yes, I was talking about the units issued by the HDT to claim as a deduction.

The reason for my thinking of redeeming them when positive is to pay some of the principle back, but I see your point of loosing deductability – Never looked at at it this way.

Adam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.