All Topics / Overseas Deals / Going to NZ

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi there,

I just thought I would take a step back from the whole investing thing, and ask a few basics – I am going over soon just to see NZ, and just spend some general time on the ground…

– whats the best way to pay for stuff etc?
    Should I just convert a wad of AU$ at the bank and take it across ? Should I just put it all on the visa/diners card? Or maybe I should bring a wad of AU$ across and convert it there…
    – whilst looking at property, I want to actually see a bit of the country as well. If I was to say plan a trip and start at Auckland, what are some “must see” places?

any ideas ?

I know I am being general but I’m open to ideas.

thanks,
    Andrew.

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

I was there for nearly a month (work and play) and put everything on the credit card after realising that converting cash is almost a 1:1 proposition after fees etc. Least with the credit card you get the conversion with only a small fee and the credit card is accepted everywhere just about. Convert a couple of hundred for cups of coffee and parking meters I guess.

If you look at the map I have on here http://ipjourney.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_ipjourney_archive.html you can see what we did over 12 days. That was a lot of site seeing and only a couple of places checked out for real estate. I would be stretching that out a bit further in time if you can. You’ll note we didn’t go all the way south or all the way north (they will be for next time).

Know where you want to look first and incorporate that in the trip plans. There is a great deal of fabulous scenery and touristy places (and we didn’t even get to Queenstown where most of teh extreme sporty things are). For scenery we loved Lake Tekapo, Wanaka, the glaciers and Mt Ruapaho (sp?) . For things that tickled our fancy , the mud pools and geothermal areas around Rotorua.

If you are crossing the gap in a hire car take into consideration whether you want to be tied to an absolute timetable of being in a certain place at a certain time to catch the ferry or freewheel and book the day before online (or just turn up like we did).

edit: better picture of teh map here http://photos1.blogger.com/img/58/2709/640/trip.jpg

I know I can, I know I can

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

I would use your credit card. I found that the only time I would use cash was to pay for food at restaurants, etc where credit cards aren’t excepted.

I also had trouble getting used to the NZ currency. Their $2 coin looks like our $1 coin, and their $1 looks like our $2. Also, their 50c is like our 20c. I also once confused their $100 (I think) for a $20 or $5 (can’t remember exactly)… too confusing! hehe

Ozi

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Ozi

Perhaps you need new glasses.[biggrin]

Regards

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Muppet,

I have 20/20 vision here is Australia. The sulphur in Rotorua must have affected my vision [biggrin]

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of penguinchickpenguinchick
    @penguinchick

Hi Andrew,
    I took aussie cash over and changed it at the bank (National) with no exchange fees. Just to remember banks are opened only Monday-Friday. Places that I liked are :Taranaki area, Tongariro Crossing, Nelson, Wanaka(?), TeAnau and Dunedin. I will be going back to purchase property and I shoth-listed Dunedin and Westport.
    Have fun, just to watch for bloody sandflies…
    Cheers,
    Daniela

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.