All Topics / Overseas Deals / You need a sense of humour OR a big baseball bat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi All,

Just thought I might share this gem with you for no other reason than sharing and maybe getting it off my chest. [angry2]

3-brm place in Hawera, North Island, PM1 puts tenant in early December, tells me it’s a nice old lady who loves gardening. [biggrin]

Turns out that nice old lady is not actually moving in but is guarantor signing for her neice and neice’s boyfriend to move in. [blink]

PM1 shortly discovers that occupants are having everyone they know and their dog living with them, PM1 enforces contract condition re allowable occupants. Then the rent payments start to get missed or only half paid. PM1 does not inform me of any of this. [blink]

Eventually PM1 serves them notice to vacate. At this point PM1 tells me the whole story, I fire PM1 and engage PM2 explaining the problem tenants and disclosing full details.

PM2 says she would never have rented to these people in the first place as their ‘name’ is not good around town.

Anyway PM2 says look I’ll keep a tight reign on them and if they don’t keep up their end of the deal they’re out. I says OK do what ya gotta do.

Shortly after PM2 tells me that she’s had enough and has served 10-day notice. Fine I says let’s get rid and try and put all this behind us.

PM2 last week goes to check property to see what needs doing before new tenants can be shown around… She discovers that property now has squatters!!! [grrr]

But not just any squatters, our squatters turn out to be the aforementioned niece’s boyfriend (niece has done a runner on him and us) and a few of his other lowlife mates.[grrr]

PM2 calls me imediately to let me know the good news! [grrr] Seems the local boys in blue can’t do anything without a court order to remove squatters even though they smashed a window to gain access (break & entering) and said squatters are there without permission (trespassing)[tired]

Application for court order has begun processing, should be ready to execute March 31.

On the upside… PM2 now tells me that rent can be increased by $15pw… Oh the joys of property investing.

Now where did I leave my big baseball bat?[medieval]

Cheers, Nobleone. [biggrin]

P.S. Guess who’ll be getting landlords insurance as soon as this mess is sorted out… Yes, I’m still smiling.[biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Nobleone

Let me guess the first property manager’s initials are JJ.?

Lucky for you Hawera’s prices continue to rise. Its times like these you need to take a long term view of investing.

regards westan

USA information evenings in Melb, Syd and Brisbane in early April, email me for more info. We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Hi Westan,

You hit the nail on the head… Are you having problems too?

@westan

Hey Nobleone

i was talking from someone in Hawera who had issues with this sort of stuff, they actually got some guys from the Mungrel Mob to sort it out. apparently the police knew and they said as long as there’s no bruises they were happy to look the other way.

A different approach !

The owner got vacant possession very quickly.

regards westan

USA information evenings in Melb, Syd and Brisbane in early April, email me for more info. We find cash positive deals showing 15-25% Returns in the USA email me at [email protected] to join our database

@westan

Hi Nobleone

yes, i’ve actually got rid of the property Bought it for 65 sold for 110 k eight months later so i can’t complain , but her poor management was a facture i my decision to get rid of it.

She does a terrible job of screening tennats – Harcourts are the best Property Managers in town .

regards westan

@nobleone

Hi Westan,

The thought has crossed my mind, actually it was the wife who suggested it… But I will wait until March 31 and see what transpires… If I don’t get any joy I will be asking the Mungrel Mob to have a friendly chat with the squatters…

Agree on Harcourts… I’m with them now.

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi Nobleone
    Looks like you have a case of the tenants from hell, kind of spoils your day. Mate! you better use a hunk of 4 by 2 I think the bat may not be strong enough.
    Hope you get it sorted out hope they don’t do to much damage to the place.
    I was going to have a look at that town definitely stick to Harcourts if I buy anything there.
    Kerwyn

Profile photo of relaxedrelaxed
    @relaxed

Umm… I don’t know if I’d get the Mongrel Mob involved, or any other gang. Could be bad karma[blink]

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Nobleone,

Hope this situation gets resoloved for you quickly. We will be on a trip up that way soon if you need some fresh eyes or some photo’s etc.

yes, i’ve actually got rid of the property Bought it for 65 sold for 110 k eight months later so i can’t complain , but her poor management was a facture i my decision to get rid of it.

Well done Westan! What agency handled the sale for you if you don’t mind disclosing.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Nobleone
    Might as well move in yourself, everyone else has, and you’d have no less rights than them, and who could remove you.?
    They sure have a hide. Have you cancelled the electricity, gas, phone & water. Take as many photos as you can.
    In the hope that the old lady has some sway with her squatting family, I would remind her and the squatters that she will be forced to pay for the cleanup, rent, lost rent, damage and re-letting fees. And depending on the quality of the original PM’s paperwork, it should be enforceable.

Hope it runs smooth and without damage.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Is the Mongrel Mob available for hire ? [biggrin]

andrew

@nobleone

Hi All,

Just to update you… The ‘tenants’ were removed after going to tribunal, young niece turned up at court and admitted to not paying rents which the court has ordered her to pay and so far she is doing so.

Finally got the place cleaned up, fixed up and generally looking presentable.

Now PM2 has got snow bunnies moving in for the next 6 months beginning May 31.

I think I’ve had my fair share of problems now so I am looking forward to smooth sailing.

Cheers, Nobleone.

[biggrin]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Not being from NZ, I presume snow bunnies are not a splinter faction from the mongrel mob.

These mongrel mob types would be absolutely flat out back in Oz…what an extremely valuable service they provide…far better (time and money wise) than fluffing around with courts / lawyers / bailiffs / orders / police / lying tenants etc etc etc….

Having been thru the painful court process…looking back with 20/20 hindsight – which path should you have chosen from a $ and frustration viewpoint ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

The mongrel mob will help people out for a case of beer. The same applies in Aus with some of the bikey groups.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of westinvestwestinvest
    @westinvest

I never use PMs for this reason,but it meens I can’t cast my net too far from home [glum2]
    Coffin Cheaters member ship may help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.