All Topics / Finance / Financing while unemployed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of FireCaesarFireCaesar
    @firecaesar

Hi,

Can I still get a regular financing plan (80% LVR) while I’m unemployed? (esp. in N.Z)

-in other words, i’m asking if there is any interest between an employed person and an unemployed person

*Assuming I have around AU$100k~$200k for cash as deposit.

Looking for another income source? – Email me.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

FireCaesar – most lending is undertaken on the basis you can pay it back – so if assessed rental isn’t sufficient to cover repayments then in everyday terms, you have a problem if you don’t have a job.

Some low docs are more aptly described as asset lends, not sure if you have them in NZ and are not (to my knowledge) available for 80%.

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or daddy first) ~~ 1900 HOT BROKER ~~

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi Fire Ceasar,

The fact that your unemployed or employed does not necessarily matter, what matters is if you are able to service the loan. If your income from unemployment benefits and rental income will be enough, then you may be ok. Another option is, if you are able to produce 35% deposit, a number of lenders have no doc products in which you do not have to declare any income. I’m not sure about what the situation is in New Zealand however.

Regards,

Mortgageman

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could not get regular finance while unemployed! If you held an ABN number, thus making yourself self employed, it would be a different story.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

You don’t have to declare any income at all for a no -doc, simply provide your ID, so at 65% leverage, the lenders for these products do not even need to know (or want to know for that matter) your employment status. If an investment property you can obtain finance by applying as a professional investor, even if your unemployed. We have experienced this scenario previously and while many lenders won’t accept this scenario, I know some will. You may have trouble at 80% leverage, but the fact that you are unemployed does not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a loan.

Participant
    @terryw

I guess it depends on how you define unemployed.

It would be a good idea to set yourself up now with a ABN so that you would qualify for a better grade of low doc/no doc loan. Most of hte good ones want to see 2 years history of self employment.

There are private funds available for anyone with a heartbeat, but these only should be used after the cheaper alternatives have been exhausted.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi Terry.

Just because you have held an ABN for two years, won’t lenders want to see that you have been active with your “business”. By that I mean, can you just get an ABN to make it easier to qualify for lo-doc loans in the future, namely 2 yrs away. Also, when getting the ABN, what sort of business name would one have to submit, or could you just put “Joe Bloggs Enterprises” on the application form? Wont the ATO or future lender want to know at least what type of business you are running?

Thanks
    Marty

Originally posted by Terryw:

It would be a good idea to set yourself up now with a ABN so that you would qualify for a better grade of low doc/no doc loan. Most of hte good ones want to see 2 years history of self employment.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

A 65% NODOC is the only solution I have for an unemployed person. Interest rate of around 7.1% after the recent rate rise.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by maximus:

Hi Terry.

Just because you have held an ABN for two years, won’t lenders want to see that you have been active with your “business”. By that I mean, can you just get an ABN to make it easier to qualify for lo-doc loans in the future, namely 2 yrs away. Also, when getting the ABN, what sort of business name would one have to submit, or could you just put “Joe Bloggs Enterprises” on the application form? Wont the ATO or future lender want to know at least what type of business you are running?

Thanks
    Marty

Originally posted by Terryw:

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Hi Maximus

When applying for low docs, the only proof of self employment needed is the ABN. They may also ask what sort of business you are invloved in and you will have to list an income.

When applying for an ABN, you cannot use a name, other than your own, unless you have registered that name with the department of fair trading. Many people just use their own names for business, and get an ABN.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi Maximus

When applying for low docs, the only proof of self employment needed is the ABN. They may also ask what sort of business you are invloved in and you will have to list an income.

When applying for an ABN, you cannot use a name, other than your own, unless you have registered that name with the department of fair trading. Many people just use their own names for business, and get an ABN.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]
    [/quote]Hi again Terry, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, if I apply to get an ABN you said “they (lending institution)may ask what sort of business I am involved in”. What, in your opinion, would be a feasible response if I wanted the loan for investment purposes?? And, “they may ask for an income”, what income could that be? Could I put down rent received from I/P’s,(or would I put down the anticipated rent from the I/P that I am trying to get the loan for) if so, would this be ok with the ATO or would it not matter

Thanx for your help.
    Marty

Profile photo of FireCaesarFireCaesar
    @firecaesar

Ok, here’s what i’m getting … so with a NODOC loan, I can get a 65% leverage (LVR) pretty easily?

Nodoc as in unsecured loan, unemployed person?

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

low doc / no doc / schmo doc etc etc etc, it doesn’t really matter – the underlying question is ‘can you afford it’ whilst being unemployed ?

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or daddy first) ~~ 1900 HOT BROKER ~~

Profile photo of FireCaesarFireCaesar
    @firecaesar

Yes I can. What I’m concerned about at this point is the financing portion.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by FireCaesar:

Ok, here’s what i’m getting … so with a NODOC loan, I can get a 65% leverage (LVR) pretty easily?

Nodoc as in unsecured loan, unemployed person?

With a NODOC anyone can borrow 65% of a properties valuation or purchase price (lower of the two). Employed, unemployed, pensioner, anyone at all. Don’t even need an ABN. Possibly the only limitations are minimum loan size of $100K and a clean CRA.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by maximus:

Hi Maximus

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Hi again Terry, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, if I apply to get an ABN you said “they (lending institution)may ask what sort of business I am involved in”. What, in your opinion, would be a feasible response if I wanted the loan for investment purposes?? And, “they may ask for an income”, what income could that be? Could I put down rent received from I/P’s,(or would I put down the anticipated rent from the I/P that I am trying to get the loan for) if so, would this be ok with the ATO or would it not matter

Thanx for your help.
    Marty
    [/quote]

Hi Marty

When registereing an ABN, you could indicate you are a property investor. But if you tell the bank you are a property investor, they may ask about all your properties. If you have been self employed as property investor, and don’t have any property, they may say you are not self employed at that moment.

Wiht listing an income. You will be required to list you current income from self employment and any rental income as well – usually separately.

There may or may not be a problem with the ATO. If you are declaring $300K pa and do not actually make this, then theoretically the ATO could issue you an amended tax assessment taxing you on $300K. You would then have to prove you did not actually earn this.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.