All Topics / Help Needed! / Currently in negotiations – PLEASE HELP!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi guys,

I’m in the middle of negotiating an offer on a block of land.

The asking price is $190 – $200k.

I just offered $175k, they then came back at $190k.

I counter offered $177,500 – they then came back at $185k (bout ½ an hour ago).

Unfortunately I can’t quite afford the $185k and have been asked if I want to counter offer.

I’ve had to leave it for now, and said I would give a response tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what to do? I’m not really sure if that was their finally offer – though the agent made it sound that way.

If anyone has some suggestions please let me know asap!:)

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Only offer what you reckon its worth. If its a special deal and you reckon you can make good money on it in fimmediate uture eg. development site then offer more.

I reckon there is no hurry to buy. So wait a little. Wait for them to chase you. You got the cash, so your the king.

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Ditto Yack

Draw your line in the sand now espescailly if you are the only one in the game and it sounds like it from the offer/counter offer scenario going on.

See if the agent chases you tomorrow-that will be a telling point.

You will know its value to you but limit it to that.

Good luck-let us know what happens

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Hi Wayne,

If you think it’s worthwhile to pay the $185k, perhaps you can negotiate more favourable terms – maybe a longer settlement to allow you to get the funds together?

Other than that, I know it’s easy to say, but try and be detatched. It’s just one deal, another one will come along.

Good luck!

Leila

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Call back tomorrow with your original offer of $175k. Regardless of the EA’s response, explain that you will lower your offer by $2500 every day for a week then go elsewhere…
    The vendor is prepared to negotiate and your cash is king. Make him/her know it.
    If you’re absolutely ruthless don’t forget to gazunder the week before contracts are exchanged. Don’t go overboard, just 2 or 3 thousand for good measure.

Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies!

After just talking to my broker I can go to $180k so do you think I should let them know that tonight -or wait until tommorow?

The value of the block isn’t really in buying and holding on to the block though it’s in building a new home on it and selling it off. Two storey homes in the area r selling for $650k+!

I was even thinking of gonig back and saying $178,500k – and see what they say to that – i guess i just have to keep pushing them until i know their rock bottom price…

thanks for the advice!

Wayne Leech

http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

@waynel2

foundation – what do u mean by ‘gazunder the week before settlement’?

@foundation

Gazundering – Simply lower your offer before contracts are exchanged. The vendor stands to lose legal, conveyancing and perhaps agency costs by pulling out. It doesn’t work in a booming market, but as sellers become less secure this can be a great way for the unscrupulous to get a good deal!
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

@waynel2

interesting strategy foundation! dunno if i’m that ruthless though;)

Here’s an update at 7.43pm:)

They counter offered at $185k to my $177.5k, i’ve now just countered with $178.5k – he’s going to sleep on it and let me know in the morning…

will keep ya posted!

btw, does anyone know how long you can consider an offer for? eg, is there a 48hr time limit or something?

cheers

Wayne

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Wayne,

I’ve found being the slowest and most stubborn in the negotiating phase always works best. Being a cat on the hot tin roof is the worst place to be.

By reponding this evening you’ve just cost yourself 1K. Even though you’ve given 180K as your capacity limit – you haven’t specified what your ‘top value’ for the block is.

I read recently that most extremely wealthy people never even enter a negotiation without first establishing that they are willing to walk away from the deal. Have you ??

In answer to your question – it is left open ended on the contract unless you specify an exact time at which your offer lapses. All of my offers carry a time lapse clause…puts the Seller under pressure and limits to some extent your offer being used as leverage against another prospective purchaser.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I don’t think there’s a time limit to how long you can sleep on it for, but until it’s signed then either party can pull out.

Not sure you can Gazunder in WA as our offer and acceptance that we sign and countersign when negotiateing in WA is a legal document.

Good luck and do let us know how you go.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of JunkersJunkers
    @junkers

Wayne,
    Never, ever, ever give a counter offer during the same phone call as a counter offer from the vendor. I always make my offer, and then wait with my heart in my mouth until the agent gets back in contact with me. If they counter offer, I then go up in as little an amount as possible, but not in the same phone call. I’ll wait a couple of days at least, and I always have my walk away price in mind, believe me, deals are like buses, there’s always another one just around the corner. You may be able to afford to pay up to 180K, but is the land worth that amount? In this sort of market, you’ll probably find you’re the only interested buyer, so it’s worth making the vendor sweat a little to get your deal. It can be nerve racking waiting, but seriously, it’s worth it if you get your deal. Do as Foundation suggested, when they ring back tomorrow, tell them you’ve thought about it overnight and you can’t go any higher than $175K and see what they say. The fact that you’ve spoken to them 3 times today says to me that teh real estate agent thinks he’s got a live one on the line, and it’s just a case of steeling the nerves and getting the best deal for yourself.
    Go for it!!!

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Wayne,

Also wise to remember that you as Buyer have only one deal going on at this exact moment in time.

The Seller also probably only has one deal going on.

The Sellers agent has probably 25 deals going on, and doesn’t want to, or can’t afford to waste time…he will in effect be conditioning his Seller down to get the deal across the line – all to your favour.

Sit tight and let them fax you – verbals ignore. As soon as you you hear their voice, they have effectively lowered the price…

Enough…you’re a big boy, you’ll figure it out from here.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

@foundation
    Originally posted by PurpleKiss:

Not sure you can Gazunder in WA as our offer and acceptance that we sign and countersign when negotiateing in WA is a legal document.

I could be wrong, but I think you’ll find that even after the exchange of contracts, the buyer can pull out during the ‘cooling off period’.
    Or perhaps WA have their own laws… I’ve only bought in Vic.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Wayne,
    This is my experience on block we settle on tomorrow. In Jan while on holidays we put offer at 175k, they had dropped from 190k to 180k. They accepted our offer, when we got home we changed our mind.In the next 2 months while looking at other land and talking to builders I found out the owners of land were so called developers and were over committed. We offered 160k again. Agent said they have offer for 168k,she said if we pay 165k and exchange next day we could have it. I stuck to my 160k and she put pressure on the other buyer to exchange next day. Which they did. I got a email from a builder 4 days later, who they had been talking to who knew i had put in a offer telling me they pulled out because of finance in the 5 days cooling off. I rang agent and re offered 160k. Agent was shocked that I knew so quick. We exchanged next day at 160k no cooling off. The last release in estate are on for 215K. Block is 877m and flat so will be building 2 homes. My wife wanted too offer 165k.
    I guess its all a bit of a gamble, and depends how desperate you are for that particular block.
    Robo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Gazundering- quite the worst concept I have heard of… I would question the legality of it.

Wayne, offer and counter-offer are a bit of a pointless game. Negotiations made due to “reason” are probably better- *why* are you making the offer you are? If it’s just an arbitrary figure, then it becomes a stressful game between you and the seller. Iyt might be useful to read a basic negotiating book- something like “Getting to Yes”, which is a seminal text in the negotiation field- and go figure, it’s all about “win-win”. The book centres around notions of you both getting what you want. For example, you might be able to negotiate a price that is suitable to you and offer a short settlement period or something- all basic stuff, but it changes the way you do business.

An example in the book- and one that epitomises the themes… is an orange- and how to split it. First thought is to cut the orange in half… but on discussions with both partirs, it is found that one wants the orange part, and the other wants the skin- split it that way and both get what they want. Food for thought…

kay henry

@waynel2

Hi guys,

Thanks heaps for the feedback! It’s great to hear all your advice!

In regards to the value of the block I believe it’s worth $190k, and once marmion ave and a few other developments start in a couple of months – who knows!

However, saying that – my ‘walk away’ price is $180k. I can’t afford to go any higher than that – and won’t.

I’m hoping that he will come back and accept the $178,500 so I have an extra $1,500 for back up etc – though if I need to spend $180k then that’s my limit.

If he comes back with $182k or something like that today – should I just say $178,500 is my last price and see what he says?

I know there’s plenty more opportunities around the corner, though without being ’emotionally’ attached I do believe this block has a lot of potential. And with having a single storey house already built in front of it, awesome ocean views are guaranteed once I build a two storey on it! (That’s stage 2 of my plan:))

cheers

Wayne

Wayne Leech

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Just my thought!

I took a hard line (true it was very early on in my training) but it cost me a good opportunity, just because I wasn’t willing to give up an extra $2K! Now, I’d have to be honest and say – “Is the $2K (up to your limit of $180K – not higher) realy worth missing out on this property?
    How far off is your Stage two of the plan? Do you need to cary the property for a long while? Or can you build relatively quickly to realise the $650K?

I don’t want to falter you and hope you get the Property for the $178500, but I just don’t want you to throw it away for the sake of a couple of grand……..sorry. Perhaps a delay of a week to “work things thru” (mentioned to the REA) will bring the price closer to yours. If not, at least you’ve tried!

Best wishes!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

@foundation
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Gazundering- quite the worst concept I have heard of… I would question the legality of it.

No question really – contracts may be amended by either party until exchange.
    Gazundering is simply the buyer’s equivalent of ‘Gazumping’ (vendor accepts an offer then chases a higher offer from alternate buyer/s) which has been an accepted practise for the last few years.
    Welcome to the ‘Buyer’s Market’.

Cheers, F[cowboy2]

@waynel2

Hi guys,

Update at 11.02am.

He’s come back saying he’s not going to go any lower than $185k.

I’ve got my last draw card of $180k.

Do you think I should wait a day or so before I tell him $180?

I was even thinking of leaving it over the easter weekend – though as calvin mentioned – it’s only a couple of grand compared to the bigger picture! (eg, once i’ve built on it)

cheers

wayne

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.