All Topics / Overseas Deals / Property Finance

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of CKHRCKHR
    Participant
    @ckhr

I have just come home from Steves Melb Masterclass. An absolute must for those who are serious about investing of any sort.

Anyway my question is does know the process and costs for setting yourself up as a seperate business identity in NZ in order to qualify for property finance

Thanks
    CKHR

Profile photo of Lachlan_Waterman13263Lachlan_Waterman13263
    @lachlan_waterman13263

CKHR,

I also have just come from the Masterclass and interested in similar information. Get on board and do the Kiwi trip in July!

Regards,
    LW
    (1 post to go)

Profile photo of CKHRCKHR
    Participant
    @ckhr

LW

C ewe in July in the land of the long white cloud.

Booked on the day. Should be fantastic

Cheers
    CKHR

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

as little as about $650

masteraccountants.co.nz

company – online for $55 bucks
    NZ companies register

but might be better to do this through an accountant if you don’t live there

Profile photo of CKHRCKHR
    Participant
    @ckhr

Thanks MiniMogul

Shall followup with an accountant

Cheers

CKHR

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

I have read somewhere that an Aussie investor can set up a trust in NZ to invest in property and the trust will only pay 33% tax in NZ. Then as long as you leave the money in NZ and reinvest it then you won’t have to pay tax in Australia on the earnings.

I have also read conflicting views – that you have to pay your marginal rate on earnings in NZ no matter whether you repatriate them or not.

I am interested in any opinions/experience out there.

Andrew

Profile photo of henstershensters
    @hensters

HI
    We are also heading to NZ july for Masterclass. We have a trust/co in Aus, does anyone know if we can invest in NZ under our Aus trust? Do we have to set up another trust in NZ[confused]

Profile photo of KaosKaos
    @kaos

CKHR,

I also have just come from the Masterclass and interested in similar information. Get on board and do the Kiwi trip in July!

Regards,
    LW

in Regards to the above the answer is yes you can use your aus com/trust to invest in nz. Indeed an australian cannot setup a comp in nz unless there is at least one nz cit. as a director. kind a rules us aussies out ….

you can setup a nz trust but to my undertanding is that there is little fin. addvan.

but as always check with accountant.

Profile photo of shar30441shar30441
    @shar30441

Have recently set up a Family Trust in NZ to buy properties. However, the ATO says if you have control of the trust then it is deemed to be an Australian Trust and will need to have tax returns done here as well as in NZ. (I think this is to stop Australians hiding income in overseas Trusts).

To overcome this, we have setup a NZ Corporate Trustee to be the trustee of the trust and have our solicitors as the directors/shareholders of the Corporate Trustee company. This all seems to be a very grey area and no-one can tell me for sure that the ATO will accept this as being controlled by NZers and not Australians, but hopefully it won’t be tested.

Ultimately as we are the appointors of the Trust, we haven’t lost total control of the Trust as we can of course sack the Trustees if we are not happy with them.

If you are only buying 1-2 properties in NZ, then I don’t think it is worth setting all this up but if buying afew then it is worthwhile.

The good thing is that as there is no stamp duty in NZ, you can buy the properties in your own name initially and then transfer them to the Trust at a later date at not too much cost.

Hope this helps.

Shar

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Shar,

Yeah – I’m not too sure about that central management and control test that determines residency…

Even if the company is deemed to be nonresident, maybe it would be possible that as appontors, that you have ultimate control as well…need to ask about that one…

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to set up a trust/company in NZ and what sort of ongoing compliance costs are involved ?

andrew.

@shar30441

Hi Aptam

My costs were as follows:

All NZ $ plus GST

Setup Trust $850
    Setup company $600
    Transfer property to trust $600 each
    Ongoing administration costs approx $500p.a.

Shar

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi Shar,

thanks for the stats – much appreciated.

Also, one other quick one – how long did the whole process take to set up from start to finish ?

cheers,
    andrew.[cap]

@shar30441

Hi Andrew

I really couldn’t say how long it took as actually bought 2 properties while in the process of setting up (which were bought in the Trust name). Also wasted alot of time to-ing & fro-ing with emails to solicitor and accountant in NZ, speaking to Sydney accountants and ATO trying to work out if it was the correct way to go. Probably took about 4-6 weeks in all. However, I reckon you could do it in a couple of weeks if you know what structure setup you want from the start.

Cheers
    Shar

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.