All Topics / Finance / Vendor Finance – how it works

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Good morning all,
    I am considering trying, or at least looking at Vendor Finance, but to be honest I have no idea how it works!

I am thinking that the owner (Vendore) who wants to sell thier property for $250K (example only) might keep $50K and I pay them (and therefore get finance for) $200K. Now the $200K I’d get from a bank, but what happens with the $50K? Do I:

• 1. pay the vendore instalments, based on a private contract/ agreement on a monthly/ weekly instalments;
    • 2. delay the payment of the $50k for a specified time frame, allowing me to make use of potential equity that is to come;
    • 3. Wait until I refinance for the whole lot, as the finance would be, hopefully, only a max of three months away?
    • 4. What???

This could be a good strategy for me as it could well be that I will refinance in the near future with a separate Lender, but initially I’d need to purchase the property using, say the CBA or the like. Keep in mind that I live in a mining Town, with transient population!

How often is vendore finance done in WA – if any-one knows? Are there any other legal requirements that I need to consider (ie: does one of the parties need to hold a lenders license, etc)?

Look forward to your replies!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Calvin

You could use any 3 of the methods you mentioned above. It all depends on your negotiating power and the vendor.

I would think vendor finance is fairly rare, and that you wouldn’t need any licence. It is just really a private loan agreement.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Terry,
    have you done one of these? or participated in such a transaction?

I am looking for some examples or Do’s and Don’ts as I have not done this kind of thing before so I’m new to it!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Calvin

No, I haven’t done one of these, and have actually never seen one done. It is all theory so far – at this end.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

I have bought a house with some vendor finance involved.
    One thing to watch out for – make sure your financier is okay with it BEFORE you start trying to find a willing vendor! Certainly low doc lenders in Vic won’t touch it, but I believe with full financials you’ll have a much better chance of getting it through.
    It may also be worth having a draft loan agreement drawn up by your solicitor prior to approaching vendors, so that their solicitors can take a look at it.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.