All Topics / Help Needed! / Brisbane – Buy now to invest or go for share?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of windcloudwindcloud
    @windcloud

Hi,

I am a newcomer and I have saved around $15,000 and hopefully I can start investing.

Does Brisbane still have any positive cashflow properties? Which area are good for investment for first time buyer? Or is it a bad time to consider this at all so I should just try the share market?

Thanks.

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Hi Windcloud

There isn’t much pos cashflow in Brisbane itself. A few bedsitter type places but they can be a risk and not a lot of chance of capital gain.

If you are looking for areas to invest it seems that west of Bris (Ipswich etc) is the go -I just bought one there myself which with a little work could be cashflow positive-but I like many others are now looking at potential capital gain. A lot easier to find

You will need to look-and it’s a lot more fun that shares!! [thumbsupanim]

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of windcloudwindcloud
    @windcloud

Thanks for the reply. I only has been looking at prices around south side of Brisbane and seems they are all expensive compared to last year. There are several things that I worry about:
    – How much time I need to manage rental for the investment property compared to invest in managed fund or share
    – How to know if the area has more/less % of vanacy than other area/suburb.
    – If the market is on the boom and everything is expensive now, should I really wait.

Originally posted by debtdogg:

Hi Windcloud

There isn’t much pos cashflow in Brisbane itself. A few bedsitter type places but they can be a risk and not a lot of chance of capital gain.

If you are looking for areas to invest it seems that west of Bris (Ipswich etc) is the go -I just bought one there myself which with a little work could be cashflow positive-but I like many others are now looking at potential capital gain. A lot easier to find

You will need to look-and it’s a lot more fun that shares!! [thumbsupanim]

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of windcloudwindcloud
    @windcloud

Anyone can help please?

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

hi windcloud,
    where on the sth side of brissie are you looking?

we work in the inner south suburbs, west end, dutton park, highgate hill, fairfield, yeronga, annerley, moorooka, tarragindi etc. There are a number of good real estate agencies operating in the west end / annerley area that would be worth talking to about rental yields vacancy rates, management fees, median house, unit and townhouse prices.

Try talking to some agents in the area, look on the internet, see if you can get your hands on rp reports which show the average sale price of properties within a certain period.

e x

Profile photo of Emperor88Emperor88
    @emperor88

With saying that majority of properties in Brisbane area does not provide positive cashflow, is it then better to look for negative geared properties that provides high growth return?

In relation to windcloud, where are you able to find properties with only $15k deposit ?

As to what emcdonald said, you can get those statistic from a good real estate agents. Either that, you can purchase the statistic itself from RP Data. [evo]

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

hi again,

windcloud is positive cashflow the investment strategy you are hoping to employ? if so you will be hard pressed with $15k to achieve that in the inner Brisbane area (i’m assuming that you don’t own a ppor at this stage).

Or is it a bad time to consider this at all so I should just try the share market?

so long as you’re taking a long term view to investing in property, it’s always a good time to buy. Do you have any experience in shares? I beleive Still in School has a great link to an Australian share forum in his signature, that may be worth a look as well…

e x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.