Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of 50mill50mill
    Participant
    @50mill

Hi team,
    I’ve just completed my 4th transaction!! I follwed the tactics preached by Kiyosaki, McKNight, and i’ve made a profit. I am now out of debt and have 50k sitting in a low interest account. I’ve decided to only take a short trip to NY and Europe and then return to pursue wealth HARDCORE!!! My only problem is i,ve unexpectedly fluttered 1,200 away over the past maonth. Damn, im trying to make a thorough plan but am getting emotional, im still celebrating xmas as i’ve delayed this.. I need a bit of guidance. This $50k can set me up and i can visit NY before I reach 30yo!!! Any advice before I blow it on booze and tarts and rocknroll and kfc etc etc Basics basics basics what to read where can i stash this cash short term for 10 per cent short term……….g’day DEEP POCKETS!!!!!!!![confused2][confused2][confused2] [confused2]

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi loanwolf,

when you say you would like 10% in the short-term, what timeframe are you looking at?

You can put it in an online account and get 5.65%p.a. paid monthly, with no risk & access to your cash. But if you want 10%, it will mean more risk. Generally, the shorter the timeframe, the greater the risk.

Cheers,
    Jason.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Loanwolf,

Some people may disagree but I think travel can be very beneficial to you investing career. If you don’t have the opportunity to see other countries and cultures through work you will have to pay for it yourself I suppose. Although you can do this on a budget if you research.
    The other problem, ie, how do you stop yourself wasting the cash on booze and tarts.Get the tarts to buy you the drinks.) Sorry its 4am should not have said that.
    Seriously, if you dont get spending under control now this wealth creation jouney you are on may be pointless. There will always be a new doodad out there for you to buy. Stick the money in a term deposit. Take a deep breath and sit down and write yourself a plan of action.
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of 50mill50mill
    Participant
    @50mill

Thanx Guys

I am now recalling various bits of info: length of investments, risk etc.
    Maybe I could wait for another drop in interest rates and snatch a bargain some where??
    Maybe I could quit my job, live off the amount of cash ive made as well as invest in IP ‘s full time. Is Steve Mcknight signing up any new players for his ‘1 mill worth of prop in 1 year’ program?? I’d like to be taught….

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    In my mind I see $50k as being a lot of money, but also a very small amount of money.

On one hand you would have to work hard in a 9-5 job to earn that much in one year and many (most?) take 2 years to have earned that much let alone saved up that much. On the other a 10% return is only $5k / year which might be enough for your groceries, but not for a place to sleep.

So congratulations are in order, but don’t do what my anti-mentor does (he’s the guy I do the exact opposite of in order to succeed). The main crime my anti-mentor commits is counting his chickens before they hatch and from the way he does his counting they must be golden chickens in those eggs!

1. If you are young and haven’t got out in the world then this is a good opportunity to do so. BUT: write a budget and a plan and ensure you don’t return to Australia with a head full of memories and a pocket full of nothing.

2. Don’t “quit” your day job as it were because that $50k does not a cashflow make and you can’t eat big ambition (though my anti-mentor seems to think you can, after all he’s going to be rich so what does it matter if he blows it all + some?) By all means be brave and take a step into the unknown, just make sure you have a map to get there! :)

3. Remember that cashflow (positive) is what will allow you to be free, a dwindling supply will inevitably lead you back into servitude.

4. Could you give me some of your money? I’m getting married in March 06 and haven’t even paid for the engagement ring yet… then there’s the honeymoon… [biggrin]

Also, do yourself a favour and visit Canada. Beautiful place, great people and there is nothing like the mountains in Autumn.

Participant
    @50mill

Thanx Surrey,

These are the ideas that I REALLY NEED TO HEAR RIGHT NOW.
    $50k is not much in this game we are playing, but its a good start for me (as inorder to aquire it ive learnt/experienced a bit).

My next question is ‘am I working to save for another ip or just to pay my rent?’.
    If the latter, i may as well work part time instead using the remainder of my time for deals, and using my $40k and possible equity in the few IPs I may have for leverage.

What do u think team[blink]

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

$50k can be the start of a beautiful business no doubt. If it’s just paying the rent that’s your concern and you think you can deal your way into greater cash (but still need money to pay the rent) then you might consider NEIS (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme).

Essentially you go to Centrelink and register to go on NEIS. They tell you when the next workshop is on and you’re off. You work up a business plan, develop a budget, get a mentor, attend small business workshops and all the while collecting the dole without searching for a job (as you are presumably creating one). I’ve got a couple of friends who have done this. One now runs her own massage / beauty therapy shop for instance.

If you think you can make a buck buying land in early release then reselling / reno resell / buy and rent / property repairs whatever then give it a shot. Set up a systematic process for money creation and off you go! [biggrin]

Me, I work to keep up a solid cashflow to fund my acquisitions (just signed a contract on some land in Melton) and so does my fiance (she works at a bank in financing so…). My plan and budget has me investing full time in 5 years and retired in 10 (though the advent of kids may draw that out some).

The reason I don’t take larger risks is because I’ve got such an easy option to fall back on. The less comfortable you are the harder you’ll work on the risks…

Profile photo of TurboBTurboB
    @turbob

setup a business (or company) for your realestate and make sure you check out homes in all the wonderful countries you visit. You might be able to claim some of this on your tax, especially if you are already a proven realestate investor? Ask you accountant and see if they can assist.
    Enjoy your trip!

>> b

Profile photo of oshenoshen
    @oshen

Another option is to find a good property for around $100,000 that’s cash flow +ve or neutral. $25,000 for deposit plus costs. Leave it with a good PM. Put $15,000 in a redraw or offset account to reduce the interest you’re paying, and go overseas with $10,000. I spent about about that much during 6 months in Europe (backpacking). Keep in touch with the PM via email and set up internet banking. When you get back, you’ll have $15,000 more or less cash on hand and hopefully a bit of equity.

But whatever you do, do it soon before you spend all that money.

Profile photo of awmauawmau
    Participant
    @awmau

Hi Loanwolf (and everyone)

How about a 25% return on investment? I buy and sell properties all the time that have a 25% (and greater) return. Your $50k might be enough though usually you would need closer to $60k to complete the transaction.

Profile photo of tribe_of_dantribe_of_dan
    Participant
    @tribe_of_dan

‘sup loanwolf,

One of the biggest mistakes people make in their journey to financial freedom is increasing their lifestyle expenses as their investment income increases. ie. – new car, holiday or whatever.

But it’s not all bad, just a matter of personal choice.

A holiday would be great. Have you considered setting yourself a benchmark allowance for lifestyle expenses with your investment income?

eg. 5% only of my investment income goes to increasing my lifestlye expenses.

Dan Lewis

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

i would not consider putting my money in the bank , there are heaps of secure investments with higher returns than banks . the minimum you should look for is 15% . ASSET BACKED.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I’d use 30K of it to go and purchase a small 100K comm. prop that was +CF with a secure tenant.

I’d use 10K for acquisition costs and a small cash buffer left over…let it sit and gather interest – this is you safety buffer..

Then I’d zip off around the world with the remaining 10K, and have the time of my life.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of plpropertyplproperty
    @plproperty

Travel info: I was in New York city for a couple of weeks during August 2001 and had a ball. It’s obviously a different climate now but here’s what I learnt.

Couple of tips – dont plan on getting money changed over a weekend – there was one place that stayed open in Manhattan on Saturday mornings only and their exchange rates were sky high.

On Saturday New York City is a sleeping giant due to the Jewish holy day. Do your shopping during weekdays.

The street corners are littered with overflowing garbage bins – every day is trash day.

Car’s don’t stop at pedestrian crossings – be careful!

SOHO and The Village are cruisy area’s – I found it fun to check out sidewalk artists in SOHO and there were quite a few interesting avant garde art galleries

But the best part of my trip was eating giant soft pretzels and cherry cokes from the street vendors. The chunks of salt on those things are nearly 1/2cm2

Luke Woollard
    Licensee
    Pacific Lifestyle Property
    http://www.plproperty.com.au

comments made are general information only. you should seek professional advice for your particular circumstances.

Profile photo of oshenoshen
    @oshen

Dazzling, what an inspired post. How truly intelligent you are! [grad]

@dazzling

Oshen,

I’ve just re-read your post from a few above and indeed, it looks like I’ve copied your advice word for word…

What can I say – GMTA.

Or as my wife likes to say – “Fools never differ”.

Happy days…[biggrin]

Cheers,

Dazzling

Participant
    @50mill

Dazzling that sounds like a great idea. What sort of commercial property should I be looking at?.
    Why comm. prop as opposed to a $100k residential property?

Where can I find secure funds returning 15% or more?

cheers
    LOANwolf
    (ive just moved up in rank – 2 green stars next to my name….YEEHAA!!)[biggrin][biggrin]

@dazzling

Loanwolf,

Congratulations on your ‘promotion in rank’ – the saluting shall start forthwith. [toff]

I feel that I have stolen Oshen’s thunder here. I’ll bug out at this stage and let more experienced investors come up with suggestions to assist you.

Have fun – what a hoot to be young again. [bike2]

Cheers,

Dazzling

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

wait a minute, you don’t need 10k for an overseas trip. When I wore a young lad I went on a 3 month overseas trip that cost me under 3k including the RTW airline ticket (ok that was a while ago), but really you don’t need to spend lots to have fun. Here are some tips
    1. spend as little time in London as humanly possible
    2. in cities with expensive accomodation (eg venice, NY) catch the overnight train or bus in early, buzz around and head out on another overnighter.
    3. bring along a tent
    4. use mcdonalds toilets for showers and pitstops instead of using paying toilets/showers.

You can definately have plenty of fun on a shoestring (ie $20/day in todays $) and meet lots of nice girls along the way, some of whom may be able to inspire you with ideas on how to stretch a $ further than you ever imagined possible.

@dazzling

LOL,

That must have been uncomfortable ??

How exactly did you wear him ?? As a wrap or overcoat or something ?? Must of got heavy lugging him aroundall the time, or was he really skinny ?? [biggrin]

Cheers,

Dazzling

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.