All Topics / Help Needed! / buyer agents in SA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi all,

are there any buyer’s agents from SA on this forum? Would like to know how to go about getting a buyer’s agent’s licence in SA. Have heared everything from “its illegal” to “have to be a real estate agent to do it”

Can someone please shed some light on this topic?????

Thanks in advance

X

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Did I ask a question that has no answer??? Maybe I should try to ask it differently.

Buyer’s agents working in South Australia (well the ones that I have contacted anyway) are lisenced real estate agents who have decided to work for the buyers instead of the vendors. A buyers agents lisence cannot be obtained in SA without a real estate agents lisence.

our problem is that after years of working up good relationships with agents and buying lots of property, we have now reached a stage where deals are coming easier and may reach a stage where we cannot buy every deal. We are now thinking along the lines of “selling the deals” to other investors, the way a buyer’s agent does. However, we are investors and not lisenced agents, so we have no right to act for buyers.

The other way around it is to charge a “spotters” fee.

“Spotting” in SA as far as I know is not a legally enforced practice. So after negotiating a deal for a client, they can walk away with the deal and not have to pay the spotter anything. And there is no law that says they have to. This makes spotting a risky business.

Has anyone found a way around these issues? Anyone acting as a spotter or bird dog in SA that is not a lisenced agent?????

thanks for any suggestions.

drx

Profile photo of ellmre30982ellmre30982
    @ellmre30982

I’m surprised to hear that you have to be a lic real estate agent – There was an article in the Advertiser 6-8wks ago on this very subject and the understanding I gained was that any one could be one and that aspect of the industry was largely unregulated although the writer had discovered that all the buyer’s agents they were able to contact were also RE agents and they felt this was a weakness in the system in that it appeared any enquiries were referred to that agents current listings.
    Maybe you need to dig further – your original source wasn’t a RE agent by any chance?
    Tom

@xenia

thanks for the reply Tom,
    I wasnt aware of the article and the fact that the industry is unregulated has answered alot of the frustrations we have come across.

All the buyers agens that we contacted in adelaide were also RE agents and they seem to think that you have to be. I guess they are just protecting their own interests. The real estate institute of SA has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what a buyer’s agent is and after being directed from one person to the next for an hour, they finally sent me an application form for a RE agent’s lisence because they seem to think that you need it if you want to have anything to do with real estate. the fact that they had no idea what I was on about would make sense if the industry is unregulated.

your response has been very helpfull
    thankyou. now I know the right questions to ask

drs

@xenia

hi Cheesy,
    yes there are about 8 buyers agents in SA, listed under real estate buyers agents pg 1649 in the yellow pages. Im not sure how successfull they will be in finding +CF property, but you can give them a call to see what they can do. The kinds of deals that we find are houses to value add, ie renovations and subdivisons. So, far we buy everything we find, spotting is just a thought of what we can do if we reach our finance limits.

Cheers Xenia

We buy properties in all conditions. Quick settlements, no agents required
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.