All Topics / Help Needed! / Can anyone recommend a good financial adviser?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of HugoHugo
    @hugo

Can anyone recommend a good financial adviser?

Anyone heard of David Love of Retireinvest? Is he any good?

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

What state ar eyou in.

I know some good ones in Melbourne

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

I too am looking for a financial adviser – but here in Alice Springs. The only one I have been able to find – qualified with fpa – is Jeff Tubbenhauer through AMP.

Any others?

Cheers

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Guess what guys, to be a qualified and active financial planner you have to be associated with a banking institution or an insurance company. This means that the term independant financial advice is a farce. I should know, Im a qualified finacial planner and feel the industry is too structured to be effective in actually helping people to better outcomes.

See three financial advisors and guess what, you get the recommendation that is allowed for by their bean counters known as PARA Planners within a tight scope of thier own products and services in all three cases. If you are fortunate to get actual advice that isnt a rubber stamp of insurer X or bank Y get back here and post who you got it from and Id be the first to congratulate the guy/gal for having the gonads big enough to be honest with you.

Sorry to be so glum but one of my investors a young guy from Parramatta was gobsmacked by a bank X guy who said 18 months ago dont buy property its too risky, told this 21 yo to take out a loan to buy shares and invest in his(surprise surprise) managed fund.

I’m so glad to say that without my input on his decision, he decided to buy a townhouse in Cairns instead, which has gone from $95k to $124k in value and hes looking to go again. Time before last I saw him he told me I had changed his life forever by just showing him options which he then had the gonads to follow up on.

He is now the manager of the store he only worked in before and is a much happier guy as well.
    All I’m saying is with the right knowledge, decisions for the better are easier to make, so dont be disolusioned with the lack of Fin planners in Alice Springs, ask yourself why its the case there.

You may be surprised to realise that in smaller comunities the commisions for fin planning are scarce and its not financially viable for them to operate there unless they are subsidised by AMP or colonial or tower or Mac Bank or whoever.

Maybe other forumites are a better source of info and suggestions that may work for you, albeit with a property slant thrown in just for good measure.

Call me a sceptic, sure, but dont hold the average financial planners up as some kind of demigods. And for Gods sake make sure they are accedited under the ASIC(australia wide)PS146 and PS164 certification structure if you do use them as this is the safest way to cover your butt should things go slightly astray.

Good luck and sorry to harp on, when Im tired(1.30am here) I get a little too synical.

DD

PS146 Certified Financial Planner
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of leo777leo777
    Participant
    @leo777

Dear MichaelYardney,

I live in Melbourne, can you advise me a good financial adviser or accountant that is dealing with the rental property and tax stuff ??

Thank’s.

Profile photo of HugoHugo
    @hugo

Sorry to be so glum but one of my investors a young guy from Parramatta was gobsmacked by a bank X guy who said 18 months ago dont buy property its too risky, told this 21 yo to take out a loan to buy shares and invest in his(surprise surprise) managed fund.

DD I think I went to this same guy in Parramatta
    because he told me to do the same thing. I too ignored the advice.

My parents have a good financial planner and they swear by him. He is too busy to take me on though.

Thats why I was trying to find someone good in Sydney but after what you have said I dont know if its worth it.

Profile photo of CalderCalder
    Participant
    @calder

Hi Hugo
    Agree with DD. Most (not all) are very restricted to what they are allowed to offer. My suggestion would be to try three different ones, (you can often get the first vist free) and discuss what they offer and how they would go about it. Make your decision as to whether you want to use a planner after that or not. I actually started an FP course and became so disillusioned that I threw it in after the second semester. That could have been me though. As my brother told me “they are only salepeople doing a sales job and you have never wanted to do sales”.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Hugo,

Forget the FP – the one I spoke to five years ago still cannot comprehend what I have achieved with property while still trying to flog me a managed fund.

If you are after an accountant – recommend Ed Chan (www.chan-naylor.com.au) in Sydney and Dale Gatherum-Goss in Melbourne (www.gatherumgoss.com)

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958
    Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.