All Topics / General Property / Sydney studio units

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

Hi all!!!!
    I’m finding a few Sydney metro (mainly 1 bedroom) studio units that are positively geared. Can anyone give me any advise on these types of cashflow properties? (I’m still learning and any advise willl be greatly appreciated)[strum]

Cheers!!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hard to finance and hard to sell, with no capital growth over a long period (generally). Unilodge?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

kopp_dan,

Interested in why you would be looking at purchasing a studio apartment?

Is this because the lower entry cost compared to other properties in Sydney?

Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

Yes! The low entry cost is one reason why i’m looking at these apartments. Budget less than 200k.

Obviously there are some risks there but they do tenant fairly easily don’t they?

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Are these currently owned by individual investors or a serviced apartment chain?

RP Data should have previous sales numbers if they have sold before. Will give you a better indication of past price increases. Cashflow considerations are one but many.

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

Most lenders won’t touch anything under 50sq.m. Difficulty in getting finance leads to a lack of potential market of buyers should you wish to sell at any time. Lack of buyers means less price growth.

Having said that, the market will determine the price, and even a bad property can be undervalued.

The other thing to consider is that at the end of the day, how much cashflow will you be getting for it? After interest, management fees, rates, body corporate fees, maintenance, insurance etc etc even if it’s positive how much cash flow will there be? A couple of hundred dollars? A grand? $3k?

If it costs 180k, and you need to put in a deposit of 20% + costs, that’s $45k to get in, with not much prospect of capital growth. If you’re getting less than $1000 positive cash flow a year, there are probably other investments that will get you a better return.

For example, if you put your $45k into an ING direct account @ 5.25%, your “positive cash flow” would be around $2,362 with no risk of vacancy, large repairs, bad tenants, loan defaults. And equal opportunity for capital gain (ie. none). This is not an endorsement of ING. Just an example to illustrate the point.

Will you get $2,362 clear from the studio apt every year?

Of course if you DO get capital growth from it, then the whole scenario changes dramatically. For a $180k unit even 1% capital growth is $1,800. I can’t believe that a studio will never grow. Otherwise you would be able to buy them for $2,500 like they were 40 years ago. Personally I think they will generally rise in line with the market. They are only 1 step below a 1 br unit, so at some stage if the 1 bedders are going up, the gap down to a studio can’t keep widening forever.

Profile photo of DannyboyDannyboy
    Participant
    @dannyboy

Thanks to those who replied to my post. I appreciate your help.[thumbsupanim]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.