All Topics / Help Needed! / finding out how long place has been on market

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Does anyone know of any way to find out how long a place has been on the market other than asking the agent who’s selling it?

I vaguely recall a website where you could get this info. It may have involved a small fee.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Carlin

A vendor is not bound to advise anyone how long he has his property on the market. The same would go with any real estate agent.

Obviously if this information was public knowledge then the offer any potential buyer made would be adjusted dependant on how long the property had been listed for.

Look at the property yourself if the grass needs cutting or it needs a lick of paint etc then it is likely that the vendor does not want to spend any money on the property and has had it listed for some time.

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap service.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Hi Carlin

I know that realestate.com.au sometimes show you how many vists to an individual web site there has been for a particular property but not sure if any will tell you how long the listing has been there. Try asking the neighbours how long the sign has been up.

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Dates on the Section 32 docs can also be a giveaway. Recently saw one with docs issued a year ago!

Haven’t heard of any websites that can tell you this, but if you find a source of this info, I’d be interested to know!

Sometimes it can really help to have that little extra bit of info to help the negotiations along!!!

Good luck,

Leila

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

With the last 3 properties I have looked at, I have started by asking the vendor.

I’m constantly surprised by what vendors will disclose to you – e.g., how long the property has been on the market (even when this is 6 mo. or more), why they are selling, even what the lowest offer they will accept is!!!

Failing that, i try to focus on a particular area and I keep a constant watch on new properties that spring up on the websites & in agents windows.

Another strategy I have is to find a property that recently sold in the area you are looking to buy into. I set up a separate email address so that I can contact agents and ask them to email me similar properties to the one they just sold. This way, you know pretty soon after a property has hit the market. But you need to send this request to all the agents in your area ‘cos you never know who people will list with. Hence the separate email account!!!!

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

JasonBourne,

How do you go about getting to speak directly to the vendors? Do you ask the agent to pass on their contact details? Just wondering how easy it is to get to the vendor, I would think the agent would try and control the whole sales process.

Regards,

eeshole

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

eeshole,

Some of the properties I have come across are being sold by the vendor on sites like http://www.owner.com.au so they are easy.

Otherwise, I try to arrange to inspect the property at a time when it is most likely the vendors will be home. As you say, a lot of agents will try to control the process & want you to inspect on weekends, when they can ask the vendor to not be there. But if you can get in when vendors are home it is easy to engage them in casual conversation as you are walking around the property and once they feel comfortable with you, they tend to disclose a fair bit.

Also, I go to a fair bit of effort to play dumb initially. In my experience it tends to disarm the agents if they think you are a bit of a sucker (as opposed to thinking you are a shrewd investor).

When it comes to investments, I’ve always tried to remember the saying….”the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist”.

Good luck with investing!!!

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

thanks for all the ideas.

re-talking directly to vendors when agents are involved, in my experience it’s been tricky, but I have been known to return to places after opens, knock on the door and just have a chat….best to hear it from the horse’s mouth, I say!

cheers,
    Carlin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.