All Topics / Help Needed! / Flooring choices

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of sallasalla
    @salla

What do you experienced reno folks replace old carpet with in order to achieve an attractive presentation for selling a family sized house? I would like to achieve a more modern look – the house is very 70s!

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey Salla,

If you do a search under flooring or floors you will come up with a number of hits with respect to types of flooring.

Choices are basically carpet, timber (floating or direct stick to concrete), laminate, tiles or lino. For a house, you can probably rule out tiles, and the other choices will be dependant on how much you want to spend, what type of substrate you have (concrete or timber joists), where you are located and what look you are after.

I have just finished my place with a laminate which is certainly cheap and is really hard wearing, but the overall finish is not as good as real timber. Still looks pretty good though. Overall cost, $1800 for 120 m2 and a full weekend of pulling up carpet and putting down laminate.

Hope this has helped.

Jan

Profile photo of KDTKDT
    @kdt

Hi Salla
    I’m just going through this at the moment with a flat I’m renovating. It’s my first unit and I’m learning but here’s the opinions I’ve had from some friends…
    The younger generation likes timber floors ( me included.. BTW I’m 37) but,
    the older generation prefers carpet ….the reasoning for this is that you had timber when you couldn’t afford carpet.
    Carpet is also much quieter…my current house has timber and 2 little kids……
    As my likely target market is going to be the older generation, I have elected to recarpet my unit even though it means covering up very nice timber ( vic ash/ tassie oak ).
    Hope this helps………..

Phil

I will make it….regardless

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Salla,

I am in the process of having an apartment being built and chose to replace the carpet (being the builder’s choice for the 5 apartments) for the living & kitchen areas, with a floating timber floor. Agonised over that decision for a while. Tassie Oak.

Ultimately thought the finish would suite the potential tenants, differentiate between the other 4 apts and be a more modern choice than tiles (kitchen) & carpet (living area).

Profile photo of HugoHugo
    @hugo

Anyone know where I can get a good price for a floating timber floor? Have about 80 m2

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

Salla,

I am a full tiem renovator and have for starters, seen some very poor “floating timber” floors installed. If you want timber flooring, do not go cheap, it looks cheap, wears cheap and will not be ceap to replace down the track. A possible problem with timber flooring is future water damage. A substantial leak/spill will damage the timber.

KDT, I beg to differ about the younger generation preferring timber flooring. It is still a matter of personal preference. I had large ceramic tiles in my last renovation and it was taken by a young couple, at a great price to me. The place I am doing now I am putting down very big polished porcelain tiles, it will be classy modern, almost unbeatable! Agree with the costing though, sorry, didn’t pick that up. Yeah, cost….true. Though good timer- excellent results for a long long time, bad laminate fake- possibly poor results, higher maintenance, less durable.

I don’t think much needs to be said about carpet as a floor covering, if you were going to do that, selection would be most important.

If you want to go “funky”/warehouse look and really appeal to younger generation you could have a crack at polished concrete flooring….hehe…if you do, send me a photo. I almost did it in the last place, almost.

Oh, lino. Negative.

Hope this helps.

J.

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald
    If you want timber flooring, do not go cheap, it looks cheap, wears cheap and will not be ceap to replace down the track.

Hi JParsons,

how much would you estimate good quality floating timber floors to cost out per m2?

we’re looking at putting one down in our new unit…

thanks,

e x

@jhopper

Hi e,

You can pay anywhere from $15 to $100+ per square metre for floating floors dependant on what you want. The base model is a cheaper laminate which has very little real timber in it (mostly chip board). Top of the range can be solid timber but can get variations of the above. The bamboo floating floors look pretty cool if that is your style.

As for durability, the laminate I have got was $18 per metre but is extremely durable. My two retrievers havn’t made a scratch on it yet!!

cheers

Jan

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

[happy] cheers jan, i’ve heard about this new bamaboo flooring – think there was a story about it in the Home seciton of the courier mail last saturday – i’ll look it up!

e x[biggrin]

@jhopper

No idea what these guys are like, but this is one place in Qld. http://www.bamboo-oz.com.au/flooring/.

Gives you an idea anyway! good luck!

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

No one has mentioned tiles. Jsut wondering if there’s any reason for this as they are hard wearing. Are they outdated?

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

We have pulled up old,old carpet in two houses and found good floor boards so we polished them. No trouble renting and no complaints as tenants can have their own colouring in rugs. Currently we are just finishing renovating a house we have had for 3 years which was in need of tidying up. It already has floor boards which we have to seal as some of the no more gaps or whatever has come out. The floor has worn really well and looks good with gloss estapol. We did a unit with floating timber floor in the kitchen area and carpet, mainly because it was an upstairs unit and would be quieter and it looked great. In another unit, we tiled the kitchen area and put a good modern sisal carpet, looked fantastic.

It’s a matter of choice but I always think of durability as our places are tenanted. We put a medium, but good quality carpet and tiles to suit the house or unit and type of renovation.

The laminated flooring we put in our own house a couple of years ago is disappointing and I would not use it again. There is a problem with a couple of edges where there has been moisture and some scratches from furniture that were not supposed to happen. I am careful too!

For Hugo, the flooring is available at any carpet/flooring outlets, Harvey Norman, even Bunnings but get all the information you can on the different types. Preferably don’t get one that has to be glued, just clicked together. We have done both.

Anna

Profile photo of HugoHugo
    @hugo

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think I am going to go with a solid timber floor rather than a floating one.

Has anyone used Rex Flooring in Sydney?

Are they any good?

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Salla,

What do you experienced reno folks replace old carpet with in order to achieve an attractive presentation for selling a family sized house? I would like to achieve a more modern look – the house is very 70s!

Polishing the boards if you have them is a super idea. Don’t pay to get it done. Im not suggesting it is easy but it is a skill that once learned will be extremely valuable and save you a couple of thousand per reno. This equates to quite alot of positive cash flow earned.
    If you dont have boards or you wish to replace damaged boards then get someone skilled in to show you how to do this at least for the first few times.
    You can find good quality pine flooring for between $1.50 and $1.80 per lineal meter. Each board is around 100mm wide so that means 10 boards wide times 1 meter equals a square meter (sorry).
    To get them at this price you may need to head to an auction centre. I would not recommend bidding for the goods like all the other weekenders. These places run on a very tight margin and will be happy to disclose the reserves and sell early in the week before auction. Build a relationship with these people. Do a good deal and negotiate but try and stay friendly.
    If pine is to light there a many products you can stain it with before you apply the polish or sealant. This (if done well) will definitely give you the WOW factor you are after.
    TILES: Great idea especially for kitchens and wet areas. We have never paid more than $9 a square meter for them. You need to go to tile houses and look for end runs or again auction centres. An end run is the left over tiles of each palet or discontinued lines. Only use white or other neutral colours as some of the tiles out there may date very quickly.
    What about the weather. If it is very cold where you are be careful how much bare floor you have in your home. Pontential buyers may be able to spend a few extra dollars buying cool rugs to put on the floor but you can’t assume that everyone has the extra cash. Also learn to lay tiles yourself but start with a small area like a laundry floor and work your way up.
    Vinyl floor is also another viable option and alot of the new products represent a very high quality alternative as compared with the lino of years ago.
    If you have the room keep any spare tiles, floor stain and boards, sealant etc and clearly mark it with the house its from and the date you applied it. It can be very hard to try and match these later. This is the beauty of floor boards because you can just hire the sander and go straight over them if they are damaged and re stain them. It doesnt really matter if some of the rooms look a little different and can add character.
    Have fun.
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

hi salla,
    I have used “Sydney Bluegum” floor boards on several IPs and it works a treat, look good and has so far been hard wearing. It has the deeper mahogoney richer tones than others. You may pay a slightly higher price per sq m. But I think its worth it.

Bought it from a timber yard in Dandenong (VIC) but I am sure you can get it anywhere in oz states.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Try ebay for your flooring needs, pretty cheap if you are after product only. I have used a few on there over the years.

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of bjb007bjb007
    Participant
    @bjb007

If anyone chooses to go with carpet, my hubby is a carpet layer (27yrs exp) and can pass onto you substantial savings compared to retail outlets. He can source, advise, quote and install. (Has done lots of rental properties). Based in outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne but will travel within reason. PM if anyone is ever interested.
    Cheers [biggrin]

Profile photo of StephanStephan
    @stephan

I have my own floorcovering outlet and am more than happy to give some free advise Ph 0438 797 292 or [email protected]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.