All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Depreciation and CGT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of alexleealexlee
    Participant
    @alexlee

Just wanted to highlight a common misconception about depreciation and CGT. I’ve noticed the anti-negative gearing people generally say that depreciation isn’t actually useful because it reduces your cost base and so you have to cough it back up as CGT eventually. The pro-negative gearing people tend to say ‘save tax’ and don’t mention the eventual CGT hit.

As an aside, I go for positive cashflow. Currently my properties are negatively geared for tax but cashflow neutral.

However, the reality is halfway between this. Yes, you get tax deductions at your marginal tax rate for depreciation, and yes, you have to pay CGT on that reduced cost base, but remember CGT is only (for individuals) at HALF your marginal tax rate.

So on depreciation of $10,000 and marginal tax rate of 47%:

Tax saved $4,700

and when you sell the property, your CGT on this is: $2,350

$4,700 saved now is also much better than $2,350 in 5 or 10 years time when you sell the property due to inflation, opportunity cost, etc.

So the reality is that depreciation is better than the anti-negative-gearers say, but not as good as the pro-negative-gears say.
    Alex

Profile photo of Hayden YoungHayden Young
    @hayden-young

Very well said, I agree entirely!

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

It gets better….

Only depreciation claimed on the building itself is deducted from the cost base. And in many cases this is less than that claimed on the Fixtures and Fittings, especially in the first 3-4 years.

The other thing to consider is that any property purchased after May 13, 1997 must have the eligible building depreciation deducted from the cost base upon sale whether it has been claimed or not during ownership. So if you don’t claim it, you’ll be slugged for it anyway.

Regards,

Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, good points.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mark UnwinMark Unwin
    Participant
    @markunwin

Depreciaton still needs to be taken into account when selling an investment property.

Ideally, you should list your depreciation schedule in the contract of sale to state that the sale of the chattels will be at the written down value. Otherwise you could have an assessable gain which is not eligible for the capital gains discount.

When this is done, the sale price is effectively reduced by the written down value of the assets and the original cost base is reduced by the cost of the assets.

cheers,

Mark Unwin
    Williams Partners Pty Ltd
    http://www.wp.com.au

Profile photo of breakfreebreakfree
    Participant
    @breakfree

Depreciator,

I have one query which I hope you can provide me with an answer.

The question is “Do I have to add the depreciation I claimed on plants, eg hot water tank, back onto CG and then pay tax on it after I have sold the property.” I know I have to add the depreciation I claimed on bulding back on CG and pay tax on it.

Regards,

Breakfree

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.