All Topics / General Property / Termites – HELP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi All
    I have found a property that I believe is a good buy. A House. However I found out that the property has had termites, however the situation has been rectified. My intention is to buy the property, renovate, and resell it. Now I am terribly worried about buying the property. Generally if people hear ‘termites’ they run for cover and I don’t think I will be able to sell it because of its history.

The house is a good price but its no good me buying it, if I can’t sell it later without hassles.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether you think this is a biiiigggg problem or not. Have you had a similar situation?

Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Hi Jules

Our PPR had termite infestation before we bought it 8 years ago. We found out about it but determined that had been treated and they were gone. We had to replace a few studs but no problem since although I am as vigilant as can be.(No timber lying around and destroying nests that form)

We had real reservations but loved the location. We bought it and the property has increased in value 4 fold since.

The only real concerns I guess are
    1) Are they gone.(You seem to think they are)
    2) Is there a likelihood of re-infestation (get an inspection done now and yearly)
    3) Did they cause any noticeable or structuaral damage (get an inspection done and find the repair costs)

If the above questionsare satisfied and it is still a good deal-go for it. As far as I know you aren’t obliged to tell any future buyer of a past termite problem They will do their own inspetion in any event.

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi JULES1,

When the RE market’s not so red hot as it’s been in the last few years this issue may come back to haunt you. Buyers become very fussy when the market cools. If the new buyers get an inspection done repair work will be noted and they could try to negotiate a lower price or just walk away.

IMHO, repaired termite damage can be just as bad as active termite damage in the eyes of a buyer!!!

If you’re still interested revise your offer accordingly.

Profile photo of ShellbyShellby
    @shellby

Hi Jules,
    if the problem has been rectified then you shouldn’t have any worries. Termites can be a problem for anyone, whether you’ve had an infestation or not. Everyone should have a pest inspection done yearly, new or old houses. If when selling,and the repair is noted, so long as the inspector gives it the all clear, there would be no reason to ‘run for cover’ or obtain any such discount on price.
    Certainly, if you found a good deal, then you should go for it!!
    Good luck,
    Shellby

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Jules,

It’s not a big problem.

The property’s greatest attribute will always be the dirt, and more specifically how much of it you’ve got and where it is.

Do what the ‘experts’ do, walk around with a flashlight and a screwdriver…it ain’t too technical

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of TurboBTurboB
    @turbob

We are renting a place at the moment that has had huge termite issues in one of the rooms. The place has been sprayed in the past and was said to have killed the little beasts.

When we moved in about 12 months ago I asked a neighbour if they ever had issues with termites in their house. At the time they said never (they had been there 20+ years), that was until last week when they discovered their house is now full of them.

I spoke to the “termite man” about what to look out for with termites. The real issue isn’t getting rid of them in your house, but finding the nest and killing it. The nest might be a distance away, so in a built up area it might be located under another house.

You can kill the ones in your house but if you don’t locate the nest their is a good chance they might be back. i expect that they might be back in the house we are renting also?

After living in a house that has had a termite problem I wouldn’t take the risk of having them come back. If you decide to take the risk then I agree fully with Shellby, make sure you get an inspection done yearly.

Good luck with everything.

>> Brent

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey Jules,

When you originally said that the problem has been rectified, do you mean the termites have been treated for or that the damage caused by termites has been fixed?

I understand that when you get a pest/building inspection done, they will also tell you what, if any, structural damage has been done and sometimes the expected cost of rectification. Did the report go into any further detail.

If it has been fixed and structurally there are no problems, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Pest inspections often come back back with “past termite activity”.

On another note, in commercial properties you sometimes see termite prevention devices located around the perimeter of the building. Little tubes spaced every couple of meters or so which deter the little nasties. Has anyone come across a domestic version of this before?

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Thanks for your responses everyone. JHopper I am not sure what was meant by the RE Agent, but all he said was the problem had been fixed. So I assumed the termites had been dealt with, but never thought to ask if they found and destroyed a nest or if there had been any damage to the house that needed fixing. So I am glad you mentioned that. I’ve learned a lesson from all of you about this. I will check with the RE Agent asking more questions and from the look of some of the problems mentioned above, I might try and stay away from the property. Such a pity because it is such a good buy and the house is quite nice.

thanks everyone
    Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of goodrumgoodrum
    @goodrum

Ditto, Turbo.
    We had the good fortune to meet one of the founders of “Bonney’s Pest Control”… Claude Bonney, [a real Aussie icon, and so interesting to talk to and learn from], the termites can have nests in trees near a property, he took us out and showed us termites in our old sugar gums near and around our house, we had been getting the house sprayed yearly, but back the the termites would come, sooner or later. Claude found the nests, the queen, destroyed them…[never even had to spray our house], and so far haven’t seen any since.
    We inspected an I.P yesterday where bearers had been damaged by the little varmits, and looked around the garden and found their nest in a tree, still partying! [Sometimes it is not visibly evident, you need to bore/drill a wee sample of the trunk to check]….the agent was pretty confident the ants had “been and gone”…. [that is exactly what we did].. Just a rough estimate may have been $7000 or $8000 damage, which is fine if your happy to take that on board, but it was pretty delapidated and we didn’t know how far the ‘mites had got through in other places.

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

just reiterating what others have said here. GET A PEST INSPECTION DONE! During a routine inspection last year at our ppor, a nest was located and removed. there was some stud damage however nothing major. I don’t believe there is really any cause to panic. Most property’s in Australia are susceptible to termite infestation. As long as you are vigilant and have those inspections done regularly, no big deal..

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Termites live in Australia, that is, everywhere except possibly Tasmania. Every piece of dead wood can be a target. If termites are found in a house a least you know they are present and can be treated. The main cure is vigilance and regular checking. I would not walk away from a house because termites were apparent. I have an IP that I bought with termites in the shower stall wall. We negotiated a very good price, repaired the bathroom and appear to have CG of about 250k over 2 years.
    Jhoppers tubes may be the termite traps we regularily use. They are plastic tubes stuffed with cardboard which attracts termites. Apparently they constantly search for new food sources and find cardboard very tasty.When they show up in the tubes they are poisoned, carry this poison back to the nest and the nest is eliminated. They are available in hardware stores.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by JULES1:

I am not sure what was meant by the RE Agent, but all he said was the problem had been fixed.

I will check with the RE Agent asking more questions

Hi Jules,

I may be reading this all wrong but – it seems to me you are getting your ‘pest’ advice from the agent. If this is the case you are speaking to the wrog person – an independent licensed pest inspector is the person to whom you should be speaking.

The agent is employed by the vendor – not you.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958
    Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

Past treatments are not enough until the nest is destroyed. As an earlier post said, they are often in the lower trunks of largish trees.

Get a recommended pro who will drill into trees until he finds the nest. Then he will pump in about 50 or so litres of poison and the nest is gone, the tree gets healthier and the varmints are gone.

Make absolutely shore there is no damp entry points. Termites can eat dry wood but MUST get water as they do so. If they can’t, they will leave.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.