Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of bwendanbwendan
    Participant
    @bwendan

Hi! In a few years ill be off to uni, and just wanted to know a little bit more about HECS;
    What is it?
    How does it work?
    Can you not pay it off?

Brendan

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

I don’t know all that myself, but I believe that you apply to defer your Uni Fees (govt. pays for you) until you finish studying and are earning an income.

Once you start earning an income (I think it’s $35,000) you start repaying your HECS debt. Your compulsory repayments are determined by your taxable income and you repay a percentage of this income. Eg: $35,001 – $39,000 is 4% (or used to be).

So if your taxable income was $36,000 you would repay 4% of that ($1440). This process is repeated annually until the debt is gone.

The website Going to Uni may help

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Bwendan,
    In 1986 when I was at RMIT, Bob Hawke introduced a new HECS scheme as a ‘one off’ payment of just $250 a year. Almost 20 years later, the costs are incredible. If you are to study medicine or law the costs are even higher. We are now going down the American path where parents who have a child start saving for ‘College’. The ironic thing is that if you pay the full amount for one’s chosen course ‘upfront’ then you are entitled to a discount (used to be 15%?). So students with rich parents were able to pay for there son/daughter, where as the poor couldn’t afford to pay thousands of dollars up front and were therefore denied the discount. I put myself through Uni twice struggling to pay for just being at Uni/shared renting etc. I put myself through Uni by working in factories during all the student holidays. If you can pay it off in advance or in installments then that’s what I would opt for. You can’t beat the system. I don’t know what the current income threshold is once your working before you start paying it back, but I know the threshold to start paying got lower and lower. Ironically I was at the news agent today flipping through a wealth creation mag (go to a newsagent and look through the investing magazines section, I can’t remember the name of the magazine). The magazine had a special article on HECS. If I find the magazine tomorrow I’ll pm/post the magazine’s name.
    Kind regards,
    Gatsby.
    (PS. In terms of ‘avoiding to pay it off’ don’t bother. When I returned once from being overseas for 2 years. Customs stamped my passport. Four weeks later I got a letter from the Dept of Education, Employment and Traing with a ‘huge’ HECS bill!)

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

I am studying business part time,and have just paid for first semester…$1933.00 for 3 units.Paying upfront as I did gets a discounted rate.
    Tools

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey Brendan,

HECS stands for Higher Education Constribution Scheme and as stated is the fees you pay to attend university. Rates are different depending on which course you do (at least it was when I finished about 7 years ago). Also note that if you fail a unit (which I did once), you still have to pay the HECS for the failed unit! As Tools mentioned, you can elect to pay up front and get a pretty good discount, otherwise you pay once your income reaches a certain level.
    When you are employed, you have to tick a box stating that you have a HECS debt. From there you pay off your debt through your salary, and if for some reason you don’t pay enough during the year based on your taxable income, it gets taken out of your tax return.
    My debt was 12 grand for an Engineering degree and can happily say I have now got rid of it!

Profile photo of Stanners77Stanners77
    @stanners77

I fail to see what any of this has to do with property investing but since others have railed this thread into a HECS debate/whinge fest, I’ll throw in my two cents…

#1 Who ever said a tertiary education should be free? We live in a ‘user pays’ society, deal with it…

#2 HECS is an interest free loan which is indexed to compensate for inflation so the Govt doesn’t actually LOSE money. The current rate is a poultry 2.4%. You try getting a loan for anything, let alone an education that will (albeit indirectly) bring you tens of thousands of dollars in income each year, for such a small price.

#3 4% of your salary in repayments once you start earning money is hardly going to blow the bank.

#4 This talk about expensive degrees putting students in frighteningly high levels of debt is absurd. Put it in perspective. If a new university graduate got a bank loan and went out a bought a $30,000 car at 7-9% interest, no one would bat an eyelid. Then consider that HECS repayments stop if your earnings fall below the threshold, i.e. if you lose you job. Unless you bank with some kind of benevolent society, I don’t think you would get that same kind of treatment from a lender.

<Steps of soap box and retires gracefully into the night>

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

The Feb 2005 edition of Personal Investor magazine has a good article covering HECS issues on pp.36-38.

Unfortunately, it says that there are only 3 ways to avoid HECS debt:

1. Leave the country straight after your degree, cease to be a resident for tax purposes, then return to enjoy retirement in Australia when no longer earning an income.

2. Make a paltry income for life. If you never earn above the threshold amount – $35,000 in 2004-05 and $36,184 in 2005-06 – you will not have to repay your debt. The income amount will be indexed every year.

3. Die. your debt will not be transferred to anyone.

The discount for upfront payment at start of degree has dropped from 25% to 20%. Discounts on voluntary repayment afterwards has fallen from 25% to 10%.

[scholar]

Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced

I dont really see the big issue with HECS debt.

For the increase in income you get from doing a degree should more than compensate for the what you have to pay back.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by unannounced:

I dont really see the big issue with HECS debt.

I do. This is a burden imposed on the younger generations by the legislation of a generation of baby boomer (or slightly older) politicians with the support of a generation of baby boomers all of whom had access to a free+ education. Bear in mind those same younger generations will also have to foot massively increased tax burdens (yes, as in they will be paying more tax!) as the BB generation age otherwise starvation amongst pensioners will become commonplace…

For the increase in income you get from doing a degree should more than compensate for the what you have to pay back.

Yes, you should, but by and large you don’t and won’t! The education system has been diluted in the quest to become a ‘clever country’ to such an extent that any half-wit can attend university – much to the detriment of the actual potential intellectuals. This results in an increase in the number of people seeking employment who have degrees, and a lower value in the degree itself.

For a specific example, three of my parent’s children have attended university. They are now all working – one earns over $90k pa, one $60k pa and the other $38k pa. Guess which ones dropped out in 2nd year? They have both paid off their debts, while the other still has over $20k to go. Still, he has a piece of paper!

I don’t mean to suggest that nobody should go to university. By all means if you are studying and learning something useful (science/ economics/ business/ engineering/ programming/ law/ medicine etc), you should do well. If you are going just because your teachers said to and doing some mickey mouse course – reconsider.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Have to agree with Foundation there. I have an Engineering degree and when I was working on site as the Site Manager, my Plastering Supervisor was on twice than me with no education at all. Now about 6 years down the track, I am getting close to what he was on at the time.

The point however, is that I did my degree for reasons other than financial. As for HECS and how to get around it, get over it. Like any other debt, you take it on knowing you will have to pay it back sooner or later and hopefully you got something valuable from the experience.

Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced
    This is a burden imposed on the younger generations by the legislation of a generation of baby boomer

I guess that’s a cynical way of looking at it. Free is nice, free is semi-ideal, but free is not sustainable. What I believe is important is that everyone has an equal ability to the opportunity of going to university, and a fair method of recouping the costs at a later time.

At 35k, your brother wouldn’t be paying any HECS at all. And I believe the current %’s are fair for amounts that you earn. I have questions about your whole sentiment about not earning more. To quote a recent article:

‘Even after HECS repayments the average graduate aged 25-34 still brings home around $8,000 more a year than the average person with a Year 12 qualification. ‘

http://www.cis.org.au/exechigh/Eh2003/EH13303.htm
    (Emphasis added)

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Political & social debates about HECS is one thing. Ultimately it is the best ie cheapest loan at the best terms you will get anywhere.

If you can, go to uni, have the experience, live the life. You’ll never have a job where you finish in November, have summer holidays and come back in March!! Get it while you are young (Women are good value too!!)

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

> How is this related to property?

When I applied for a new loan last week, I had to provide my latest HECS statement. It’s a debt like any other. There is no interest, but the debt does increase with inflation.

My online investing diary: http://retireyoungandwealthy.blogspot.com/

Profile photo of Stanners77Stanners77
    @stanners77

Very true words, Woodsman!

And just to hammer my point again, I recently read an article about the alarmingly high number of 18-25 year olds with a credit card debt of around $3-5K (most likely at about 16% interest) -and people are jumping up and down about HECS???

It’s just a pity that in all this education, very little is taught about money and young people get themselves into a debt cycle they can’t get out of.

Cheers,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.