All Topics / General Property / TO FIX OR NOT TO FIX ?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

Just wondering if anybody on the forum is considering fixing their homeloan now that interest rates are set to rise by 1/2%

Also, how will this affect the chances of finding pos. geared properities in Oz. Will rents increase, will prices drop as demand slows Etc.

Your feedback would be appreciated

Profile photo of ian_from_brisbaneian_from_brisbane
    @ian_from_brisbane

I am actually surprised how few people seem to use fixed rate loans.. I have just signed up for a 3 year fixed rate of 6.55%.

It’s kinda funny that so many people seem to be worried about a rate rise… it’s like they’ve never heard of fixed rates.

Profile photo of OSiennaOSienna
    @osienna

It’s probably a better idea to have half your home loan fixed and the other half variable. It provides more flexibility that way. Some fix interest loans can incur penalties so it’s best to tread carefully before diving in head-first.

Here’s an article from the Sun-Herald that’s of interest to those thinking about fixed interest rates:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Australian-Capital-Territory/How-to-ease-the-pain-of-rate-rises/2005/02/22/1108834767644.html

How to ease the pain of rate rises
    February 20, 2005
    The Sun-Herald

Interest rates may be on the way up, but for once the horse doesn’t seem to have bolted for home loan borrowers.

Usually the money markets are way ahead of the pack when it comes to interest rate rises and quickly factor them into the cost of fixed-rate home loans so that by the time borrowers actually focus on the problem there is no real advantage in switching.

But this time around the financiers seem to be a little slower and some fixed-rate home loans still have lower rates than variable loans. So quick borrowers can lock in an advantage, but you don’t have a second to lose, because 15 lenders have already moved to rectify the situation and the others will soon follow.

An interest rate rise of a quarter of a percentage point is tipped for next month, which would increase the monthly cost of a loan by $32.15 for a borrower with a $200,000 mortgage and assuming a borrower’s interest rate rises from the average standard variable rate of 7.07 per cent to 7.32 per cent.

The average home loan in NSW was $263,000 as of last December. It was above $400,000 in Sydney. The worry is the rate rises will continue with many predicting another quarter percentage point in April and another a few months later.

Some economists think this cycle will result in rates going up by 2 percentage points before they stop.

By itself, this doesn’t seem like much. But think about it. If your variable home loan is 7 per cent at the moment, that rise on top is a whopping 30 per cent increase in monthly repayments. Do the sums.

While the average standard variable is 7.07 per cent, the average rate for a three-year fixed-rate loan is 6.7 per cent, and it’s 6.74 per cent for one year. The financial nerds call it an “inverse yield curve”, which is mumbo jumbo for the fact that rates now are higher than those in the future. Usually it’s the opposite way round, which is the premium imposed for having a longer term loan.

So look at your finances and determine the impact of a worst-case 2 percentage points rise in your home loan rate and the impact it will have on the household budget.

If it looks like being a squeeze, start to take action now and maybe lock in at least part of your home loan.

Many borrowers have a bet each way, fixing half their home loan and leaving the rest variable. This gives them some protection against any rate rise while leaving them the ability to get ahead by paying down the variable portion faster if they can afford to.

But make sure you talk to your financier to establish what is best for you.

Not all fixed-rate loans are the same and they can come with a few nasty surprises. It’s all about educating yourself.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

ANZ have just announced they are putting up their fixed rates next week (28th Feb).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

St George put their fixed rates up last week but only by around .2%. Their 3 and 5 yaer fixed rates are still below 7% on most products. Standard variable is 7.07% before any rises. Fix now or forever hold your peace!! if that suits your property needs. Just look out for any break fees…..

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of ShellbyShellby
    @shellby

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of fixed interest rates on your home loan. We fixed our loan some years back, only to have interest rates go down, and ended up paying a fee to revert back to variable. If you’re paying more on your home loan than necessary, the interest rise shouldn’t worry you anyway.
    I think having flexibility is better, as things change and you maybe in a position at some point to pay more onto your loan, but won’t be able to on a fixed rate.
    Just my thoughts anyway!
    Cheers, Shellby

Profile photo of destined_for_millionsdestined_for_millions
    @destined_for_millions

Currently, I have finance for my first property. The rate is fixed for three years as i am on an age based wage… I am able to make as many extra payments as I like without penalties… I suppose it all comes down to your lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.