All Topics / Value Adding / Developing / Talking to Council

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi everyone,

I’m just trying to work out what my options are RE developing etc.

I have found a block of land with a building on it that would by itself give me a negative cashflow.

However there is a big backyard that I reckon could fit another small unit/relocatable type house. The block is too small to sudivide & sell off according to council.

Could I still maybe put a structure on it to increase the return ? I haven’t run any numbers through yet – just working through the alternatives…

Cheers,
    Andrew.[cap]

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

There may be a big back yard, but for the council to allow you to put a second dwelling on the site, you need to provide carparking for both dwellings as well as private open space for both. These should have a northerly orientation.

It is unusual for councils to allow a double storey dwelling at the rear.

So it’s not as easy as it seems

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi Michael,

there is a driveway up the front of the property, that could potentially be a battleaxe setup, except I wouldn’t be subdividing anything, just putting another house in.

there is also a gate with rear lane entrance as well…

I wasn’t thinking about going up a storey…all single storey type stuff.

Not sure about the privacy bit…any suggestions on what could be done here ? I was just thinking a bit of a fence & maybe just some landscaping would do the trick…

as for facing north…not sure on that one..guess the surveyors report would indicate which way block faces etc…

andrew.[cap]

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Generally if a site is big enough for a 2nd dwelling it would be big enough to subdivide. I suggest you contact a designer to provide a concept drawing and then take this to your local council. Alternativly you could sketch up something yourself. You can download the requirements for 2 dwellings on a site on http://www.dse.vic.gov.au go the cluase 54 of the relevant planning scheme. You could also build a dependant relative unit without a planning permit (just building permit) however you may be caught out if it is not used for this purpose.

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi there,

thanks for the response.

What exactly do you mean by a ‘dependent relative unit’ – is this like a granny flat type scenario ?

Basically I was wondering if it was possible to build something else on there and putting some more tenants in the second place…

andrew.

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

A dependant relative unit is a movable type dwelling ie must be on stumps. It is supposed to be used for a dependant relative however over time these tend to get leased out. You may have to be careful that you do not get dobbed into to the local council if you lease it out. Could be a lot of money to spend for nothing. If you were dobbed in you would have to remove the kitchen to prevent enforcement action. You could also build a sleepout that relies on the dwellings facilities. You are probably better of seeeing if a dwelling would fit going through the town planning process. ie see a draftsman.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.