All Topics / General Property / Whose looking forward to interest rate rises

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi all,
    This may sound weird but I am actually looking forward to some interest rate rises. It has been over a year since I have purchased a property I have sold a few I have looked at NZ and USA to get my fix, but I like Australia.I feel that as interest rates rise more deals will materialize. I know there are great ways to make deals work but I like my way of finding properties that are slightly cash flow positive with a little money down or at least neutral.Are there any seasoned investors out there who are looking forward to rate rises?[cap]

Martin

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

You might find some more motivated vendors as a result, but on the flip side there will be motivated investors like yourself….

I am not sure the great bargains will materialise as much as some might epect, if we are talking 0.25 or even 0.5% increases. Might be different if it is 1%+, although from all the commentary around this seems very unlikely.

Unless of course you are from BIS Shrapnel! Whatever happened to their predictions?(and credibility?)

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Wages figures blew out in the Dec quarter. Rates may be on the rise. i would love to see a .5 to 1% rise over the next 18 months.

Profile photo of OSiennaOSienna
    @osienna
    Originally posted by yack:

Wages figures blew out in the Dec quarter. Rates may be on the rise. i would love to see a .5 to 1% rise over the next 18 months.

I was just reading about that! Here’s a link to a related news article for those who are interested:

Wage creep adds to rates chatter
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1309121.htm

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I would like to see the rates up to 10%, bring it on tomorrow.

Phil

Profile photo of OSiennaOSienna
    @osienna
    Originally posted by resiwealth:

I would like to see the rates up to 10%, bring it on tomorrow.

Phil

Phil, you do realise that the housing market will most likely collapse if interest rates hit 10% tomorrow. Is this something you’ve been wishing for?

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi O’Sienna,
    Lots of people were investing even when interest rates were at 10%Could you please tell me why you think that the property market would collapse if interest rates rose to 10%Thanks[biggrin]

Martin

Profile photo of vyvyenvyvyen
    Participant
    @vyvyen

Hi all,

I for one am not looking forward to interest rate rises, I’ve just bought another property last week AND I still remember when interest was 17% !!!!!

Vyvyen

Profile photo of guzziguzzi
    @guzzi

Well if the rates rise, investers sell then rents might increase about time i say.

w

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by guzzi:

Well if the rates rise, investers sell then rents might increase about time i say.

w

I’ve heard this a few times but can’t say I agree with it. With more houses for sale, prices will become more affordable and tenants will be more inclined to buy. The only way rents are going to rise significantly is if wage inflation continues, which is highly unlikely IMO.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.